New Antifreeze, Anyone? - Page 3 - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:58 PM

By the way, as far as the oil for the CVT goes - yes, at this time, I would only use Honda's product. As far as I know there aren't any other products that claim to be suitable.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomenclator View Post
Here is some more stuff I found about Honda type 2 coolant. This doesn't prove fitchet's opinion is wrong, but it adds more evidence that perhaps honda's recommendation to use only their product, may be more of a marketing gimmick than a valid recommendation.
Of course on one level it's a marketing gimmick. Honda wants you to buy Honda products, they want to encourage you to service your vehicle at Honda Dealerships.

But it still boils down to me to value vs. risk, and quality. By most accounts, Honda products for their vehicles are at least of good quality. You can probably buy independent or alternate brands, but if you get the higher quality stuff, you'll be paying as much or more than what you would for Honda products. No savings there.

Listen, I "could" buy a fuel additive at The Dollar Store. But I ain't putting that stuff in my tank. Even if it's perfectly good and safe.

If I invest a whole lot of time and effort into finding alternate products that "work" or are good enough...or even better, could I choose to buy them and use them? Certainly.

But really? Over the lifetime of the vehicle we are probably talking a very minimal amount of savings. Why bother?

Used or New, we usually invest 10-20 thousand dollars or more, into vehicles the caliber of The Honda Fit. Why risk anything to save a few dollars?
Old 09-13-2017, 08:21 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member

just use the honda coolant and be over with. wtf