New Antifreeze, Anyone? - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums


3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 11-07-2015, 06:29 PM
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Shokan, NY
Posts: 1,614
New Antifreeze, Anyone?

Have any of you replaced your antifreeze yet? I'm betting the Genuine Honda A/F is rather pricey. I figure Prestone, etc., should be just as good.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-08-2015, 11:06 AM
Carbuff2's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Second house on the left
Posts: 1,526
Does the 2015 use the same Honda TypeII coolant as others have since ~2002? (TypeII is the blue stuff.)

Think of it this way: TypeII lasts 5 yrs/100K miles before the first drain. Draining only replaces 60% of it. That's why replacement frequency is doubled after that. (This, from older Honda maintenance schedules)


TypeII is only available as a premix from Honda auto dealers. But you CAN buy concentrated coolant from Honda motorcycle dealers, if you feel the need to change ratio. (Or, if you have flushed the system with water and want to get the concentration higher)


Genuine Honda coolant isn't THAT much more expensive. It REALLY reduces reaction with aluminum. So I feel that its worth it to have some on hand (as a top-up, or for replacement).


JMHO of course.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-08-2015, 01:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Digging in your fridge
Posts: 844
Quote:
I'm betting the Genuine Honda A/F is rather pricey. I figure Prestone, etc., should be just as good.
I vote Nay to both.

A gallon of Honda Type-2 is a little less than $20 MSRP. Cheap for knowing it's absolutely correct.
$13 and some change from Majestic. Plus shipping.

I just searched the part number (OL999-9011) and saw the first hit on Amazon was quite a bit higher than MSRP, and some Honda dealers sell far above MSRP too. Be wary.


Type-2:
It's great, it's absolutely correct for our cars, and ever since Honda went to it I noticed the water pump lifespan increased significantly.
Also, I haven't seen internal radiator corrosion problems in the decade or more since Honda changed over to Type2 exclusively (around 2004?). Even when ignored longer than double the suggested mileage or more.

Hondas coolant is a Non-Silicate and Non-Borate formula. Premixed with de-ionized water.
What's the Prestone got in it?
How much does a different antifreeze (Prestone) cost? Now add in a premature water pump failure...... and all the labor to replace it. Maybe add a tow truck bill, maybe a complete engine if it lost all coolant and got seriously overheated. LOL


Read the underhood sticker to see the replacement interval for your car. Many say 10 years or 100k/120k, or a maintenance minder item# for the first replacement interval.

JMHO as a Honda tech.
YMMV. HTH
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-08-2015, 03:06 PM
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Shokan, NY
Posts: 1,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezone View Post
I vote Nay to both.

A gallon of Honda Type-2 is a little less than $20 MSRP. Cheap for knowing it's absolutely correct.
$13 and some change from Majestic. Plus shipping.

I just searched the part number (OL999-9011) and saw the first hit on Amazon was quite a bit higher than MSRP, and some Honda dealers sell far above MSRP too. Be wary.


Type-2:
It's great, it's absolutely correct for our cars, and ever since Honda went to it I noticed the water pump lifespan increased significantly.
Also, I haven't seen internal radiator corrosion problems in the decade or more since Honda changed over to Type2 exclusively (around 2004?). Even when ignored longer than double the suggested mileage or more.

Hondas coolant is a Non-Silicate and Non-Borate formula. Premixed with de-ionized water.
What's the Prestone got in it?
How much does a different antifreeze (Prestone) cost? Now add in a premature water pump failure...... and all the labor to replace it. Maybe add a tow truck bill, maybe a complete engine if it lost all coolant and got seriously overheated. LOL


Read the underhood sticker to see the replacement interval for your car. Many say 10 years or 100k/120k, or a maintenance minder item# for the first replacement interval.

JMHO as a Honda tech.
YMMV. HTH
I guess $20 isn't bad. One gallon should do it. Capacity is 1.1g.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-08-2015, 04:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 236
I could have sworn the label under the hood said the antifreeze doesn't need to be changed for 10 years
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-08-2015, 11:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Digging in your fridge
Posts: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
I could have sworn the label under the hood said the antifreeze doesn't need to be changed for 10 years
Somewhere in my post I also suggested OP reads that label, he could save time and money by doing so.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-09-2015, 07:32 AM
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Shokan, NY
Posts: 1,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
I could have sworn the label under the hood said the antifreeze doesn't need to be changed for 10 years
There's a lot of leeway in "needs to be." When I've drained antifreeze in the past, it's been dirty. Why would I want to be driving with "dirty" for ten years? The A/F might protect from freezing for ten years, but I prefer clean to dirty.

https://www.cars.com/articles/how-of...1420680853669/

Last edited by SilverEX15; 11-09-2015 at 07:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-09-2015, 10:52 AM
Uncle Gary's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 1,984
"Replace engine coolant" is sub item 5 on the Maintenance Minder. I'll replace mine when it shows up.


Given the issues with disposing waste coolant, this is another job I don't do myself anymore. Not like the old days, when we could just let the stuff drain into the ground.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 11-09-2015 at 10:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-09-2015, 12:59 PM
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Shokan, NY
Posts: 1,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary View Post
"Replace engine coolant" is sub item 5 on the Maintenance Minder. I'll replace mine when it shows up.


Given the issues with disposing waste coolant, this is another job I don't do myself anymore. Not like the old days, when we could just let the stuff drain into the ground.
My town has a recycling center for oil and antifreeze.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-09-2015, 01:58 PM
Uncle Gary's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEX15 View Post
My town has a recycling center for oil and antifreeze.

In NY any place that sells oil has to accept used oil for recycling. Not sure about antifreeze. We have no such facility here.


I recycle my used oil at the truck garage in the next town. They've always been glad to accept it.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-09-2015, 02:18 PM
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NOVAnistan
Posts: 1,395
Any landfills in your area? The landfills here accept oil, antifreeze and car batteries for recycling.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-09-2015, 02:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Digging in your fridge
Posts: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEX15 View Post
There's a lot of leeway in "needs to be." When I've drained antifreeze in the past, it's been dirty. Why would I want to be driving with "dirty" for ten years?
Even after 10 years of use the cooling systems filled with Type-2 I regularly deal with still appear to be pretty dang clean, visually, unless they have been contaminated with something else along the way.

I've never sent samples to a lab for further analysis though, so there's that.


I personally think that changing original antifreeze on a 2015 car this early in its life (I assumed this thread was about a 2015, one year old?), unless you have reached the mileage interval or maintenance minder item, is overkill.... and wasteful.
*hugs a tree*
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-09-2015, 09:57 PM
Fit_as_a_butchers_dog's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: SoCal
Posts: 385
It's the water that's important in the blend. Wrong water, big problems. Generally takes a while to show up though. You'll probably have sold the car by then. People in the US cycle through cars so quickly now.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-09-2015, 09:58 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEX15 View Post
There's a lot of leeway in "needs to be." When I've drained antifreeze in the past, it's been dirty. Why would I want to be driving with "dirty" for ten years? The A/F might protect from freezing for ten years, but I prefer clean to dirty.

https://www.cars.com/articles/how-of...1420680853669/
While I agree with what that article says, I highly doubt it's "dirty" at this point. It's like changing the oil every 1,000 miles.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-10-2015, 08:16 AM
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Shokan, NY
Posts: 1,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
It's like changing the oil every 1,000 miles.
I know what you mean. 1,000 miles is an awfully long distance. I always carry oil and filters when I travel.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-10-2015, 08:18 AM
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Shokan, NY
Posts: 1,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fit_as_a_butchers_dog View Post
It's the water that's important in the blend. Wrong water, big problems. Generally takes a while to show up though. You'll probably have sold the car by then. People in the US cycle through cars so quickly now.
I thought of buying bottles of Fiji water to mix with the A/F. It should be very pure.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-10-2015, 08:19 AM
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Shokan, NY
Posts: 1,614
Decision made. Thanks for all your advice. I'm going to wait till next year to change the coolant. Then I will buy two gallons of the Honda product.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-10-2015, 10:51 AM
Bassguitarist1985's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,314
Thank you for this thread, I'm gonna pickup some Type II from my Honda contact for when I add my block heater. I'll be losing a little bit when swapping out the block plug for the heater plug. Best I add the correct stuff and not a questionable incompatible aftermarket blend.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-10-2015, 11:45 AM
Member
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,115
STP makes an "Asian vehicle" coolant. The most important thing is that it is 50/50 mix and that it is free of silicates. Maybe since the Fit is made in Mexico you can put a drop of Tabasco in it and call it a day

Honestly, for the extra 5-10$ the honda stuff costs, I just go with that. You should only change your antifreeze every 2 years AT A MINIMUM. My mechanic recommends 2-3 years because I live in Canada and my car has to endure a whole season of sub zero temperatures. I still only change my coolant every 4-5 years. If I lived in a milder climate, I'd go every 5-10 years easy. change your antifreeze every year if it makes you feel good but you are pouring money down the drain. I'd focus on changing your brake fluid which must be done more frequently than antifreeze.

Antifreeze and brake fluid are the two things I only go with OEM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-10-2015, 12:07 PM
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Shokan, NY
Posts: 1,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLian View Post
I'd focus on changing your brake fluid which must be done more frequently than antifreeze.
Right. I do that annually.
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cheap harbour freight bore camera.. dwtaylorpdx General Fit Talk 4 03-27-2017 06:21 PM
General Warning About Windshield Wiper Fluid and Colder Weather Alco RS-1 General Fit Talk 17 03-17-2017 03:26 PM
When to change the brake fluid? mmitsch 1st Generation (GD 01-08) 18 09-07-2016 02:11 AM
Coolant/antifreeze block drain plug questions rossftn 2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum 37 08-29-2016 10:06 PM
TW: Crz stock airbox with bracket and filter Santiad For Sale / Want To Buy / Classified Ads for USED Fit Items 0 02-19-2016 08:59 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:22 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.