Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   how to carry a kayak on a Fit (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/92462-how-carry-kayak-fit.html)

Press Fit 02-03-2016 03:42 PM

how to carry a kayak on a Fit

Originally Posted by KayakPaddler (Post 1334723)
I paddle a sea kayak.

I am interested to know the system you use to support the kayak on your Fit's roof. Also, are there convenient points to tie down the kayak's ends to the Fit? I was hoping to someday carry my kayak on my Fit, but I turned cautious when I heard reports about the thin sheet metal.

KayakPaddler 02-03-2016 03:53 PM

I'm having the Thule roof rack kit 1751 installed on the roof and a Thule Hullavator attached to that.

Thule also makes the Quick Loop Strap 530 which fit inside the hood and hatchback door so you can tie down the stern and bow without using undercarriage attachment points.

I'm not doing the install myself; having it professionally done by an outfitter that has a specialized garage and bays for the work.

Press Fit 02-03-2016 04:03 PM

The Thule 1751 from a June 2015 FitFreak post

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fit...67114597de.png

KayakPaddler 02-03-2016 04:59 PM

I have the 2016 FIT LX, six speed manual.

Rarely warm enough up here for a sun roof.

lip008 02-03-2016 05:24 PM

The sun roof slides under the roof when it opens so it shouldn't cause any issues.
I also have a kayak that I plan on using with some type of roof rack system. I will probably go with what was mentioned here.

In addition to the roof rack system I've seen a Fit with a hitch bike rack. I plan on getting that one as well. I'd like to see two kayaks, 2 bikes, and a car full of gear on and in my Fit one day!

KayakPaddler 02-03-2016 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by lip008 (Post 1334737)
The sun roof slides under the roof when it opens so it shouldn't cause any issues.
I also have a kayak that I plan on using with some type of roof rack system. I will probably go with what was mentioned here.

In addition to the roof rack system I've seen a Fit with a hitch bike rack. I plan on getting that one as well. I'd like to see two kayaks, 2 bikes, and a car full of gear on and in my Fit one day!

Hope you post a photo when you do that. Would love to see it. I know my FIT will look like Bullwinkle when I get that Hullavator on, but at least I can remove the arms when I'm not using it.

Press Fit 02-04-2016 09:25 AM

I have used Yakima roof rack systems for years on my cars and truck. Interestingly, Yakima still offers no roof rack system for the third generation Honda Fit. They do offer a rack system for the the second generation Honda Fit. I called them yesterday to confirm this gap in their product line

rjohnsonmn 03-16-2016 05:09 PM

I found a number of options when I checked today

fitlookup.yakima.com

fibrepunk 03-16-2016 07:53 PM

Still no clips for Yakima's Q towers! Urgh! Seem like they replaced the Q towers with Baseline towers!

rjohnsonmn 03-16-2016 08:02 PM

I know! I'm on my 4th generation of Yakima racks. Every time we get a new car I have to get new racks. At least the bike component is reusable (unless I upgrade to Whispbars). I'll keep transporting our bikes inside the car for now.

fibrepunk 03-16-2016 08:14 PM

If you upgrade to the new whispbars, you will to purchase the new mighty mount (39H) to allow you to mount your old components. I am getting annoyed.

If you don't upgrade to the new whispbars after buying the baseline towers, you will still need to buy the Yakima 8003536 RoundBar SL Adapter Kit for your roundbars!

Maybe I should just sell all my Yakima components and switch over to Thule for good!

rjohnsonmn 03-16-2016 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by fibrepunk (Post 1339146)
If you upgrade to the new whispbars, you will to purchase the new mighty mount (39H) to allow you to mount your old components. I am getting annoyed.

If you don't upgrade to the new whispbars after buying the baseline towers, you will still need to buy the Yakima 8003536 RoundBar SL Adapter Kit for your roundbars!

Maybe I should just sell all my Yakima components and switch over to Thule for good!

I'm considering the doing the same thing

KayakPaddler 03-17-2016 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by rjohnsonmn (Post 1339147)
I'm considering the doing the same thing

Thule makes good products. My rack and Hullavator were installed last Sunday. Went with the Thule AeroBlade load bars; at 60 MPH driving home, not even a whisper from the rack.

One thing I did learn was that there's a tow eye bolt that can be screwed into the front bumper and provides a secure tie-down for the kayak's bow. I had wondered what that circle on the bumper was for (still waiting to get my owner's manual). Not sure if I'll use it as I have hood loops, but nice to know it's there.

Press Fit 07-27-2016 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by KayakPaddler (Post 1339171)
there's a tow eye bolt that can be screwed into the front bumper and provides a secure tie-down for the kayak's bow . . .

Have you settled on what are the best front and kayak rear tie-downs on the Fit? How long is your kayak?

KayakPaddler 07-27-2016 10:01 AM

The Seals Quick Hood Loops for the bow and the Fit's rear tow hook for the stern have worked perfectly all summer, which included a 500-mile round trip at 70 MPH on the interstate. Use the Thule tie-downs. Kayak is 14-feet long, 22" wide.

The hood loops are quicker to install/remove than using the front eye bolt and there's no sign of any rubbing against the paint. I stash a pair of in my glove box.

I check the boat after the first 15 miles and at every pit stop thereafter. Have never had to make any adjustments.

Press Fit 07-27-2016 10:12 AM

Thanks for the recommendation. I spotted webbing coming out of someone's hood on Monday. Now I know what it was !

KayakPaddler 07-29-2016 03:05 PM

The loops shown are for a long lasting install. The ones I use are held down by just the hood of the car. Seals Sprayskirts - Quickie Hood Loops (Pair)

Couldn't find a bolt to attach the fancy loops to, so went with the Quickies.

TorontoBoy 07-30-2016 07:27 AM

Yesterday I saw a guy here in Toronto with a 2009 Fit carrying a sailboard and a kayak. The sailboard's mast was inside the car, rear seats down, passenger seat down. The sailboard and Kayak were on the roof rack. He did not even have any front or rear tiedowns. The kayak may have even fit inside the Fit as well.

KayakPaddler 08-04-2016 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by TorontoBoy (Post 1350599)
Yesterday I saw a guy here in Toronto with a 2009 Fit carrying a sailboard and a kayak. The sailboard's mast was inside the car, rear seats down, passenger seat down. The sailboard and Kayak were on the roof rack. He did not even have any front or rear tiedowns. The kayak may have even fit inside the Fit as well.

If so, had to be a small kayak. I don't leave home without the tie downs being in place. Even the best racks can fail.

On the other hand, I see lots of the cheapo box store kayaks being transported in the beds of pickup trucks without anything holding them down/in. That's pretty scary, too.

Meliss 08-11-2016 05:49 PM

Does anyone with a roof rack have the wind deflector on the sunroof? How much clearance is there?

I've got the Hullavator, too. Haven't gotten to use it yet.