Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   manual or automatic (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/92584-manual-automatic.html)

jhn 03-31-2016 10:15 AM

The '15 Fit manual sucks. The clutch is slow, the shifter box has a sloppy spongy feel, the shifter ergonomics are too low, and the ratio sucks.

But hey, who cares about that because manual.

Myxalplyx 04-01-2016 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by jhn (Post 1340452)
The '15 Fit manual sucks. The clutch is slow, the shifter box has a sloppy spongy feel, the shifter ergonomics are too low, and the ratio sucks.

But hey, who cares about that because manual.

^^^ I approve of this message. :wavey:

KayakPaddler 04-01-2016 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Gary (Post 1340449)
It's beginning to look like this entire discussion is moot, as I don't think Honda is currently importing ANY manual transmission Fits to the U.S. anymore. My local dealer has 12 Fits on the lot currently, and not ONE manual. The only manuals I see being purchased by forum members seem to be leftover '15s.

I suspect the only reason the website still lists the manual transmission at all is to tease potential customers with a lower advertised price. After all the CVT is an $800 upcharge, and all the dealer need say is "sorry, no manuals are available." Voila! Instant upsell!

Yes, I am a cynical old man.

Lots of manuals in my area, but all in black Fits. I waited for a silver 2016 Fit MT and took delivery late December. Silkiest MT I've driven - and I've never owned an auto transmission, nor will I.

fitchet 10-07-2016 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by ron3 (Post 1336089)
i know there is a loyal following of people that buy manual transmissions, but from everything i have read they are becomeing more and more scarace.since there is no real advantage with them. it seems they get less mpg,fewer and fewer drivers can even drive them,they have less resale value and do not perform as well as modern automatics..
I like driving a manual and am not trying to start a flame, and am just curious is the manual trans. on its way out.

Hey, I own an automatic...but I'm going to chime out in support of manual transmissions.

There's advantage. In a time tested system, that many enjoy and find fun to drive.

I learned how to drive with a stick shift, and the first decade or so of my driving was all on a manual. I loved it.

The ONLY reason I get automatics now? I'm getting old and slowing down. But sometimes I regret it. For pure driving feel and feedback, I don't think you can beat shifting gears with a manual transmission. The "Automatic" paddle shifters? Not the same.

For the mainstream, it may be getting rarer and rarer. But I hope that it never disappears.

Until the dawn of self-driving cars, or "transport tubes"....I'd hope for the continued option of manual transmissions.

Fuelish 10-08-2016 05:27 PM

For all the folks bitchin bout gear ratios...I take it that none of you are bicyclists ...my admittedly older mountainbike has a 3x9 setup (27 gear combos, and more than several almost identical)...ya gots to pick the right gearing for the moment....just because the Fit MT has 6 speeds, doesn't mean ya have to shift through every one....pick 'em/choose 'em as you need 'em, not just because they're there. I love our 6 spd LX, have never driven a CVT equipped car that satisfies. I get 34+ mpg buzzing around town, 40+ mpg on road trips with no problem...and with a lot more fun. Americans have indeed become a lazy lot. The only CVT in my household is my lawn tractor, and shall keep it that way until I have no choice

Mr.Impreza 10-08-2016 06:46 PM

I plan to get the Fit in manual. I tend to only buy cars in manual, however my Accord currently is a CVT. And today I bought a 2017 Accord Sport but again in CVT. Reason being, it's more of a work car and I choose CVT since some members of my family can't drive Manual haha.

However the fit would be more of a daily city car and since only I'll be driving, I'm going manual hands down!

jhn 10-08-2016 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Fuelish (Post 1356179)
For all the folks bitchin bout gear ratios...I take it that none of you are bicyclists ...my admittedly older mountainbike has a 3x9 setup (27 gear combos, and more than several almost identical)...ya gots to pick the right gearing for the moment....just because the Fit MT has 6 speeds, doesn't mean ya have to shift through every one....pick 'em/choose 'em as you need 'em, not just because they're there. I love our 6 spd LX, have never driven a CVT equipped car that satisfies. I get 34+ mpg buzzing around town, 40+ mpg on road trips with no problem...and with a lot more fun. Americans have indeed become a lazy lot. The only CVT in my household is my lawn tractor, and shall keep it that way until I have no choice

Lifetime bicyclist here. Road racing, track racing, mtb, bmx racing. All of it.

I take it you do not autocross, track, or drive your Fit at highway speeds above 65mph. If you did, you would never have responded like this.

Fit_as_a_butchers_dog 10-08-2016 09:06 PM

The '15 Fit manual is amazing. The clutch has perfect friction, the stick is tight with a glorious snicky feel, the shifter ergos are right where you want them at hand, and the ratios are well placed.

What the heck, I have a brain and apparently others do not because manual.

jhn 10-08-2016 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Fit_as_a_butchers_dog (Post 1356195)
The '15 Fit manual is amazing. The clutch has perfect friction, the stick is tight with a glorious snicky feel, the shifter ergos are right where you want them at hand, and the ratios are well placed.

What the heck, I have a brain and apparently others do not because manual.

Yeah it's pretty good. I wouldn't say amazing, but it's a good ecobox manual. I just took the extreme opposite to sound off like the anti-CVT crowd.

Although my next car will be manual if the brand doesn't release some type of ergo shifting system, I have no regrets about the Honda CVT. I am pretty confident the CVT turns a faster lap time over the Fit manual. Time will tell regarding longevity; I am also confident Honda did their homework in this department as well.

AFittingName 10-22-2016 09:27 PM

Yeah, the actual mechanics of the manual are nice. The clutch feels very smooth yet responsive for such a cheap car, and overall the gearing gives you a lot of acceleration for a 1.5L and a fairly consistent 1 gear per 10MPH shift points, and the clutch pedal and shifter are in perfect positions and very comfortable to use. 10/10 for the price.

And then you get on the highway and whatever positives you had to say about the 6MT go out the window with your fuel economy and engine life.

I don't go over 67MPH (3250RPM) usually on this car. Anything above about 75MPH is insane. You're beating the hell out of the engine because the engineers couldn't do simple math and give us a reasonable 6th gear.

I absolutely cannot recommend a manual on this car. It's like Honda wants us to give up on it so they can just do CVVTs from now on. This is possibly the worst design flaw I've seen in any car I've ever owned. Driving 25,000 miles hasn't made me hate it any less or get used to it. Stupid hurts, always.

Vjaramillo 10-22-2016 09:39 PM

I typically go 80 on the freeway with this car. On occasion I hit 100. Car feels smooth, nice pull. I wish it had a better 5 and 6th gear ratio but besides that it's pretty good.

TorontoBoy 10-23-2016 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by AFittingName (Post 1357005)
...I don't go over 67MPH (3250RPM) usually on this car. Anything above about 75MPH is insane. You're beating the hell out of the engine because the engineers couldn't do simple math and give us a reasonable 6th gear...

Meh, in the motorcycle world Japanese engines, including Honda, there's a saying. "Rev the Nuts off 'er". Higher revs provide higher torque. These small engines are designed to be revved. Revving does not damage the engine.

Fuelish 10-24-2016 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by jhn (Post 1356191)
I take it you do not autocross, track, or drive your Fit at highway speeds above 65mph. If you did, you would never have responded like this.

Take it as you like ...On long road trips, 80 mph is about right....I have no problem with the droning/4000 rpm.....no, I don't autox/track it, but I live near the Great Smoky Mtns......not far from GSM National Park, not far from The Tail of the Dragon...lots of fun mountain and back country roads to enjoy, and they would be nowhere as enjoyable with a CVT...glad you enjoy your car, as I surely enjoy my 6 spd :)

ron3 10-24-2016 04:20 PM

I live in the foothills also, and have cvt. No problems at all

My 2016 cvt does fine with the hills and mountains of East Tennessee.had many manuals over the years and the novilty of shifting gears wears our real quick.

Solifidian 09-09-2019 06:24 PM

Typically the advantage comes when hauling heavy trailers like backhoes etc. Plus you can downshift to aid in slowing down and have a lot more control in general. However today many trucks have exhaust braking options and automatic technology has improved to handle heavy towing but I still prefer the control I have in a manual and those exhaust braking options aren't very good with a 12 ton trailer on where you have to rely very heavily on your trailer brakes.

JazzyIsMyFit 09-21-2019 02:36 AM

mpg always better on a manual transmission

2Rismo2 09-21-2019 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by JazzyIsMyFit (Post 1436302)
mpg always better on a manual transmission

Not always. The GK CVT has better EPA MPG ratings than the manual.

bill bosco 09-21-2019 08:30 AM

been driving a stick over 40 years but considered an automatic this time around for my '19 fit . i test drove one with the cvt , was peppy but the car was noisy ,
and kind of sounded like a tin can . i remember thinking at the time , well it's kind of like an lightweight empty box .a few months later i got to drive the 6 speed .different car , was actually pretty quiet . i bought the 6 speed , i'd say it can be a little tricky from a stop , but i think that has to do with the wireless throttle . might be thown off
a bit by my aftermarket short ram intake and axle-back muffler . tip-in is probably precisely calibrated to the stock set up . bottom line though is , will the cvt get me
to 200k ? , i know the 6 speed will . the car is quicker and the mileage is still great , around 36 mpg mixed

TorontoBoy 09-21-2019 09:23 AM

After 3 years of driving the manual still engages me. For the little but daily entertainment in driving, the manual is well worth the minor foibles. I do not do highway very much. I'm finding my gas mileage has slightly dropped from new.

It is up to you what you buy. A manual will discourage texting and driving. If you have teens that in itself is a significant safety feature.

fitchet 09-21-2019 12:41 PM

Did someone re-ask the question?
Because this thread is OLD.
I'm guessing the OP has made the decision by now.