Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Toothpaste to buff out scuff? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/93279-toothpaste-buff-out-scuff.html)

KayakPaddler 05-11-2016 03:47 PM

Toothpaste to buff out scuff?

While unloading my kayak, I misjudged and bumped it into the side of my Fit, creating a scuff mark on the side of the car.

I've read that toothpaste will remove the scuff mark. Anyone ever try that?

Thanks.

Uncle Gary 05-11-2016 04:00 PM

It might work, but why use it when there are plenty of products made for that use?

KayakPaddler 05-11-2016 04:11 PM

I have toothpaste on hand.

KentFinn 05-11-2016 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by KayakPaddler (Post 1344407)
While unloading my kayak, I misjudged and bumped it into the side of my Fit, creating a scuff mark on the side of the car.

I've read that toothpaste will remove the scuff mark. Anyone ever try that?

Thanks.

I've used a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to get door scuffs off of several different cars ... dampen and rub lightly. Works pretty good on coffee stains from cup rims and "stainless" steel spoons.

KayakPaddler 05-11-2016 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by KentFinn (Post 1344412)
I've used a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to get door scuffs off of several different cars ... dampen and rub lightly. Works pretty good on coffee stains from cup rims and "stainless" steel spoons.

Will give it a try tonight. I know it works on kayaks; wasn't sure about clear coat. Thanks.

Xtina 05-11-2016 05:04 PM

DO NOT USE MAGIC ERASER. either leave it or find a proper compound in the auto section. eraser and toothpaste will leave micromarring and scratches worse.

KentFinn 05-11-2016 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Xtina (Post 1344416)
DO NOT USE MAGIC ERASER. either leave it or find a proper compound in the auto section. eraser and toothpaste will leave micromarring and scratches worse.

Perhaps I should have added YMMV. Free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it.

tbFit 05-12-2016 09:58 PM

I use Meguiars Scratch X (1.0) for fixing minor scuffs and scratches for probably 6 years now.

Fit_as_a_butchers_dog 05-13-2016 12:20 AM

Dude, what are you, a lunatic using toothpaste?

Some mouth breathing troglodyte side swiped my Fit, and I got some Meguiars Scratch X. It did a great job. I didn't even use a machine buffer, just some elbow grease. You can't even tell my Fit had been scratched.

Great product.

exl500 05-13-2016 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Fit_as_a_butchers_dog (Post 1344548)

Some mouth breathing troglodyte side swiped my Fit, and I got some Meguiars Scratch X. It did a great job. I didn't even use a machine buffer, just some elbow grease. You can't even tell my Fit had been scratched.

Great product.

I'll add a third endorsement.

Fit Charlie 05-13-2016 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by KentFinn (Post 1344420)
Perhaps I should have added YMMV. Free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it.

At work I offer a money back guarantee with my advice.

KayakPaddler 05-13-2016 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Fit_as_a_butchers_dog (Post 1344548)

Great product.

No, I'm not a lunatic; just a member (with better manners than you) who asked a question. Nor have I used toothpaste or anything yet for that matter.

tonezone 05-17-2016 01:19 AM

I had the palm springs desert wind throw some random item into my front bumper. Turtle Wax Speed Compound buffed it out nice with just a couple towels.

My problem now is there seems to be hard deposits around the edge of the roof of my car, like all the way down the drivers side. I have no idea how it is so specifically running along the edge, doesnt seem like how sap would come down. I tried a little super diluted alcohol and some diluted goo gone automotive and the goo gone worked ok but its still kind of speckled on there (noticed it today while doing car wash). Will go at it again in the morning a bit, the sun will prob help break it down.