3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Sold 2015 fit !! Warning !!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 11:45 AM
Wait . Why did you buy a warrant when you max out 100k in a year?

Old 05-26-2016, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BrucesFit
Because then maybe you keep it running an extra few months?

Old 05-26-2016, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
I believe the OP used the fit as a delivery vehicle, hence the high miles. He may have wanted the extra coverage because of a business need.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:58 PM
I did not accumulate 117k in one year.

I have posted a few times previously.

To reiterate, the Fit was purchased new in July, 2014.

Check my previous posts.

GOT BUMPERS ??
GOT AIR BAGS ??
GOT EMISSION SENSORS ??

So love my "new to me" Kia Sportage.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
I know your pain man. I'd never buy an extended warranty again and would warn everyone else to never get it.

My alternator failed at 55k and it was only warrantied to 35k. I've never seen an alternator fail that early before too. I was able to find one at a junkyard for $50, so it wasn't a big deal. :/

With that being said, cats today (in cars specifically) are designed to last 100-200k miles. Manufacturers make cats with the most minimal amount of precious metals to reduce the price of them. Yeah, they last for a shorter period of time, but they are also fairly inexpensive to replace (Check it out: http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine...0-5r7-a00.html). Typically the cats out last the life of the car, considering that people get in accidents, other parts are more likelier to break, etc. It doesn't make sense for a manufacturer to invest this much money in a part with expensive metals when this is the case, especially when they're really trying to reduce the price of the car out-the-door.

If I were in your position, I would either get an aftermarket cat, or just remove the cat and spoof the o2 reading to the ECU.

Last edited by Kevin Evans; 05-31-2016 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:46 AM
Cats are part of the emissions system which by EPA regulations are covered for 80k miles in all cars.

Doesn't matter if the car only has 3 year, 36k mile warranty. They still have to cover the cats for 80k miles.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kevin Evans
I know your pain man. I'd never buy an extended warranty again and would warn everyone else to never get it.

My alternator failed at 55k and it was only warrantied to 35k. I've never seen an alternator fail that early before too. I was able to find one at a junkyard for $50, so it wasn't a big deal. :/

With that being said, cats today (in cars specifically) are designed to last 100-200k miles. Manufacturers make cats with the most minimal amount of precious metals to reduce the price of them. Yeah, they last for a shorter period of time, but they are also fairly inexpensive to replace (Check it out: 18160-5R7-A00 - Genuine Honda Converter). Typically the cats out last the life of the car, considering that people get in accidents, other parts are more likelier to break, etc. It doesn't make sense for a manufacturer to invest this much money in a part with expensive metals when this is the case, especially when they're really trying to reduce the price of the car out-the-door.

If I were in your position, I would either get an aftermarket cat, or just remove the cat and spoof the o2 reading to the ECU.
If you read all the fine print first, they can totally worth it. We had one on our 2008 mini cooper. It paid for itself 4 times over. We put more money into that car than we originally paid for it and each time we took it in, we paid 100 bucks. I forget what the overall total was in the 4 years we owned that car but each time it went in, cost was well over $2000 bucks (parts and labor) and it was going in for major repairs at least once or twice a year. think the extended warranty cost us 2100 bucks.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:42 PM
My brother and I helped our mother buy a new Subaru a few years ago. We told her do not get the extended warranty no matter what they say. Well of course she didn't listen to us and she bought one. That damn thing paid for itself four times over. Who knew? Sometimes those damn extended warranties do work out.

Old 09-19-2016, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HARRYHONDINI
I did not accumulate 117k in one year.

I have posted a few times previously.

To reiterate, the Fit was purchased new in July, 2014.

Check my previous posts.

GOT BUMPERS ??
GOT AIR BAGS ??
GOT EMISSION SENSORS ??

So love my "new to me" Kia Sportage.

Just curious, and forgive me if you already answered this question, but what does a replacement Catalytic Converter for the Honda Fit cost? I know I read you paid $1,200.00 for the extended warranty, but how much would the repair have cost (and was there a third party part available, or was the only option a genuine Honda part)?

I only ask because sometimes it is much cheaper to repair a car than it is to take a loss on the trade, and refinance another purchase.

Last edited by Vanguard; 09-19-2016 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:03 PM
TOKYO -- When Takahiro Hachigo was abruptly named Honda Motor Co. CEO last year amid spiraling quality problems, he pledged to revive the troubled automaker through a back-to-basics focus on better cars and streamlined production.

Nearly a year later, with Honda still battling quality issues, the veteran engineer is revamping that comeback plan.

see complete article here

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...tion-is-needed

Old 10-31-2016, 07:08 PM
Anybody that thinks that the cat converter should be expected to wear out at 80k I think is being unreasonable.

We routinely drive on average of 65-110k miles on our vehicles on a yearly basis.

On a variety of passenger vehicles.

I've been in business since 1997 and THIS IS THE ONLY CATALYTIC CONVERTER THAT HAD TO BE REPLACED !!

Buyer beware. Just saying.
Ethanol blended fuel has been proven to reduce the life of catalytic converters. You could have bought an aftermarket converter for a couple hundred dollars.

Your warranty contract would have stated all exclusions (required by law) so if you had read it, you'd have known this ahead of time.

Your attempt to slander Honda is ineffective.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
Is there a aftermarket cat that will actually work on the fit?
Every one I've seen has thrown secondary O2 codes unless other measures were taken.
Hondas sensors have a VERY narrow margin for failure.

Put the money for the extended warranty in a savings account and us e it to fund the repair if needed..

Old 11-01-2016, 07:38 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
I traded the Fit for a 2015 Kia Sportage.

It was a dealer demo, had barely 5k miles and so far I am really liking it.

BUT . . . not surprisingly, I am avg. 29.7 mpg. A far cry from the 39 mpg I've been used to on the 3 Fits I've owned.

I knew that going into the deal, but decided that I could afford to trade more comfort for less mpg.

And, I must say, all the comments about the a/c on Honda's Fits I've found to be spot on. It does not overwhelm you.
my GTI does about dat mpg, but cranks 250whp or more .. wtf is KIA doing

Old 11-01-2016, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
Is there a aftermarket cat that will actually work on the fit?
Every one I've seen has thrown secondary O2 codes unless other measures were taken.
Hondas sensors have a VERY narrow margin for failure.

Put the money for the extended warranty in a savings account and us e it to fund the repair if needed..
How many have you personally seen?

Old 11-02-2016, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
I work on track cars on the side, and have about 2 dozen honda clients.. Lets say about that for starters. FWIW same on Acura's you get about 25k out of the aftermarket cat and its code city, if you add the anti fouler type thing or possibly a 02 replacement box you can fool the system ... I'm also 53 and did my first paid mechanic job at 13.. Replaced the engine and transmission in a 65.5 mustang convertible...

Old 11-02-2016, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
I work on track cars on the side, and have about 2 dozen honda clients.. Lets say about that for starters. FWIW same on Acura's you get about 25k out of the aftermarket cat and its code city, if you add the anti fouler type thing or possibly a 02 replacement box you can fool the system ... I'm also 53 and did my first paid mechanic job at 13.. Replaced the engine and transmission in a 65.5 mustang convertible...
So can you answer the question?