3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

3rd Gen Splash Shield Screws and Retainer Clips

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 02:14 AM
3rd Gen Splash Shield Screws and Retainer Clips

I did some research and testing for replacements to keep on hand that were not purchased through the more expensive route of ordering from a dealership with the high shipping costs.

First, the shield is held in place by 6 phillips truss head style screws, 3 on each side, and 2 retaining clips that are fastened on the back towards the rear of the vehicle.

The 6 side screws are simply screwed in and out, the proper procedure for the 2 retaining clips are, in removal, unscrew the inner portion till if is completely removed from the outer clip, then you pull or pry the outer clip free. To install, you do not screw it back in, you first push in the outer housing portion of the clip, and then push in the inner screw/push pin. This expands or spreads the end so it stays.

If you want only original hardware, the OEM part numbers are:

90114-SE0-000 - screw

91514-TG1-T01 - retainer clip

Here are the links to alternatives:

Screw

Retainer Clip

I have ordered and tried both on the shield, the screws are oem identical, the clips were not, as they are circular and not square, however I don't think it matters, what matters is that the hole is 10 mm in diameter, as long as the head is larger than 10mm it will stay and I'm not sure the stem length size matters either. There's tons of generic style push pins that would probably work if you stick to that guideline, and the screws too can be found on many sites, though the clips in the link were tested and held, even when pulled upon.

Hope this helps, as it seems there's a lot of information that needs to be sifted through to find about these screws and clips from various posts in other threads.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:45 PM
On my 2015 Fit, there are no screws. Only push pins. What's with that? The last time I did an oil change, I had to take out some push pins. and they disintegrated. I got some push pins from a kindly garage. Where do I get replacement push pins? In fact, I'd love to use screws. Will they work? I mean, are the push pin holes threaded?

Old 07-18-2019, 07:50 PM
I misspoke (mis-wrote?). There are screws but there are the push pins in the rear of the shield Sorry about that..

Old 07-18-2019, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
Regular screws won't work in the push pin holes. The holes are too large and no, they'[re not threaded.

I purchased some replacement metal screws with built in washers from Amazon because I lost one during an oil change so now I have spares which will also come in handy since they get rusty after a while in that under chassis.

As for the push pins I also purchased a bag of those from Amazon, not an exact replacement but it shouldn't matter as long as they are designed for 10 mm holes which is what the Fit has. I've come to the conclusion that the push pins are not really reusable and are really only good for a one time use. Trying to use them a second or third time will simply make it likely that they will fall out. I intend to replace them every time I take them out for an oil change or whatever. Push pins are readily available from Amazon or perhaps eBay but make sure they're spec'd to fit a 10 mm hole. Or if you want exact replacement quality I'm sure Honda $tock$ them.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the quick response! I'll do that (get them from Amazon).

Old 11-16-2019, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by woof
Regular screws won't work in the push pin holes. The holes are too large and no, they'[re not threaded.

I purchased some replacement metal screws with built in washers from Amazon because I lost one during an oil change so now I have spares which will also come in handy since they get rusty after a while in that under chassis.

As for the push pins I also purchased a bag of those from Amazon, not an exact replacement but it shouldn't matter as long as they are designed for 10 mm holes which is what the Fit has. I've come to the conclusion that the push pins are not really reusable and are really only good for a one time use. Trying to use them a second or third time will simply make it likely that they will fall out. I intend to replace them every time I take them out for an oil change or whatever. Push pins are readily available from Amazon or perhaps eBay but make sure they're spec'd to fit a 10 mm hole. Or if you want exact replacement quality I'm sure Honda $tock$ them.
Thank you for the information! I took your advice and bought an assortment of push pins from Amazon. The 13mm length seemed to work best. Probably wouldn't hurt to test a few different lengths, just to be sure. 18mm held, but was too long (shield did not fit snugly). Head on the 13mm is 20mm across, but that probably is not a big issue.

Old 06-01-2020, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the links to the screws and retainer clip.
But do you know where to get the u clip nut that the screw goes into?
I found this on Amazon but is that price just for 1 clip nut?
Honda Genuine NUT (5MM) Honda Genuine NUT (5MM)

Is there something similar cheaper anywhere ease?

Old 06-08-2020, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jbirdie
Thanks for the links to the screws and retainer clip.
But do you know where to get the u clip nut that the screw goes into?
I found this on Amazon but is that price just for 1 clip nut?
Honda Genuine NUT (5MM)

Is there something similar cheaper anywhere ease?
I would call that thing a "captive nut." Meaning gets held in place as you thread a screw into it, due to its design – you don't need a wrench to hold it in place. You should be able to get captive nuts like that in a hardware store. $9.46 for a little piece of bent sheet metal like that is crazyI! The door for my heating and air conditioning air filter is held on with nuts like that. They are a pain in the nuts there, too. They tend to slide out of place. Or else you try to get them to stay in place by squeezing the 2 sides together, and then they are too hard to slide into place. They are always either too loose or too tight. In the middle atlantic states they call the type of screw used a "sheet metal screw" but I consider that to be a misnomer as they will also hold in wood if you drill a pilot hole into the wood, just like what they call a "wood screw," will hold.. I would call them a "self-tapping screw for tapping into wood or sheet metal." There are also screws that drill and tap into sheet metal at the same time, so you don't have to make a pilot hole in sheet metal.before screwing in the screw. Nevertheless, there is no actual tapping going on when you use them with the captive nut.

I would just take the captive nut to a hardware store, show it to the store clerk, and ask the clerk for a similar captive nut. If you can't get one with the same size hole, you can just get one with a slightly bigger or smaller hole, and then buy the appropriate sized "sheet metal screw/" I think you ought to be able to get about 10 captive nuts and 10 sheet metal screws, and 10 washers for about $4.00.

My nuts are still being held captive. But if they somehow escaped, and I had trouble finding them, I would replace them with something else. Maybe just a piece of soft wire. Or a nylon ratcheting wire-bundler (I know there is another name for these).Or even a piece of string.

Last edited by nomenclator; 06-08-2020 at 04:49 PM.