3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

GK MTX Clutch/Transmission clicking noise? (Long Rant)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 10:56 PM
Update: Honda dealership called me back this afternoon to say they'd fixed it -- and I definitely didn't hear it on the way home.

Interesting thing is, they say they didn't replace any other parts. To hear them explain it, they simply retorqued and lubed the whole front left suspension. Which is good, I guess, but makes me wonder if it might come back with a vengeance.

Will let you know if the noise comes back.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:49 PM
I had my 2015 MT Fit in last week for the same noise(creaking/ knocking) for the fourth time since 18 months of ownership. First time 5K miles they lubed the mount and it went away for a few months but the noise came back. The second time the left engine mount was replaced and stayed quiet for another year for 10K miles. This time the tech can hear the noise again but insists the mounts are no the problem. He contacted Honda tech line which told him there is no known issues or problems. Another tech said they only hear normal torque noise of a manual transmission which is what we are hearing. I still think its the engine mounts.
So now I still have the VTC rattle they cant duplicate, the second gear stumble, and now this clutch/transmission noise. I choose this car over the VW Golf thinking I didn't want to deal with VW reliability issues. Should have gotten the Golf.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:23 AM
I am from Germany and over here my Jazz has the same problem. I'm curious how my dealership will fix this issue. I will visit dealership soon.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Westie
Take some pictures when you have the time. If you can, can you please ask the dealership the type of rubber or durometer of the material and where they applied the material on the mount?

Soo glad to hear your car doesn't creak. Keep us updated on the progress of the fix.
Hey Folks - Sorry to be so late with the update.. 4,000 miles and still driving silently and happily down the road. Key to note: They also installed a new mount because having the old was the only way they would get reimbursed for warranty work.

First off, I was very lucky to have the service writer know my family and was willing to look at this thread and the included pictures. When they saw the pics of the trans mount and felt material.. They knew that was the quickest way to fix things. He was also willing to get in the car and go for a ride and then drive it himself with me in the car.

I badly wish I could get pictures but there really isn't much to see without the removal of parts, maybe the airbox.

They used a universal gasket material that looked like rubber and was pretty thick. I believe it to be just like this. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/FPB3187 which is 1/16" thick. I believe they installed it where the metal surfaces meet and much like the felt pictures earlier in the thread. I can barely see some of it sticking out.

What I'm not sure about is if they used extra material on top of the rubber mount, but under the metal clam shell piece that encapsulates it.. This would have applied a little more pressure on all the components and reduced trans movement.

I think it's critical that you state "what other Honda dealers are doing..." when you talk to the service people.

Last edited by CyclingFit; 04-19-2017 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
Glad to hear the solution is still working for some. I wish I had recommended rubber material instead of felt as, after about 4k-5k miles, the noise started to come back faintly.

Not sweating it anymore. I've since installed a Beatrush roll stopper so my engine/transmission don't move enough to produce a creak. And now my car vibrates and rattles to hell, but I was expecting that. It's a stupid track-day mod that's easy to take on/off, but noticeably improves throttle response at the expense of NVH.

And, hey, no more creaking sound (just a butt-ton of rattle at low RPM )

Old 05-02-2017, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by WagovanMan
Glad to hear the solution is still working for some. I wish I had recommended rubber material instead of felt as, after about 4k-5k miles, the noise started to come back faintly.

Not sweating it anymore. I've since installed a Beatrush roll stopper so my engine/transmission don't move enough to produce a creak. And now my car vibrates and rattles to hell, but I was expecting that. It's a stupid track-day mod that's easy to take on/off, but noticeably improves throttle response at the expense of NVH.

And, hey, no more creaking sound (just a butt-ton of rattle at low RPM )

Aww man, sorry to hear WagovanMan, mine def came back as well around the 5 k mark. I only have 10300 miles. It is def noticible when it was warmer over the weekend. I think Imma try to source a urethane sheet and jam it in there to see if it will help a bit. Or if not its back to the dealership it goes once I have more free time.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:52 AM
I've had the same clicking sound within a few hundred miles after I purchased the car. Honda could never hear it. At 35000 miles, the techs heard it clearly. Their diagnostic revealed it was the transmission mount.

They changed the following part # under warranty:
50850-T5R-013
50850-T5R-913

They also greased and re-torqued something in the drivetrain, not quite sure what exactly (the bill talks about unscrewing cv joint nuts and greasing splines)

Anyways, the front end is now silent for the the first time, and takeoffs from a standstill are very smooth. I hope the fix lasts !

Old 07-21-2017, 03:57 PM
Got this issue after 20k miles. Got to dealership early today, stated the issue, print out this thread, they did not care for my printout.
They did not find anything wrong or hear anything.
I ask service rep to ride along, I hear the clicking noise, but tech guy did not hear anything.
Probably have to make a video and submit it to Honda?

Old 07-22-2017, 04:20 AM
5 Year Member
I hear a click when I let out the clutch and determined that it's the sole of my shoe compared to the angle of the pedal. When I press the pedal different ways, the click gets louder or it goes away.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by skatana
I hear a click when I let out the clutch and determined that it's the sole of my shoe compared to the angle of the pedal. When I press the pedal different ways, the click gets louder or it goes away.
I didn't hear a click, but the car wouldn't start and the "starter system" light came on. This happened just months after I bought the car. It took a few trips to the dealer before they could duplicate it. The culprit was a clutch switch, a piece of hard "plastic" about the size of my thumb. It would happen randomly and I thought it was the thin, slick soles of my shoes.

I had cause to get new shoes, thicker cleated soles and it happed constantly last month and I had the car hauled to the dealer twice but again they could not duplicate the problem. At the last visit, the service writer, Zack, watched me attempt to start the car and showed me how to hook the heel of the shoe at the bottom of pedal and tip the toe forward until the clutch bottomed. Starts ever time I do it right!

Zack is one of the international service writers at Crest Honda in Nashville. A great group working for a great organization.

Last edited by KentFinn; 07-22-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ickkyi
Got this issue after 20k miles. Got to dealership early today, stated the issue, print out this thread, they did not care for my printout.
I ask service rep to ride along, I hear the clicking noise, but tech guy did not hear anything.
As soon as they don't have time for this thread, which includes fixes by other dealers, just walk away from the dealer that will not listen. There are other Honda dealers that want your business.

9,500 miles since mine was fixed, still perfection. 45,500 total miles and the car still feels new.

Last edited by CyclingFit; 07-24-2017 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ickkyi
I did the same with my dealership. They couldn't hear it either. Maybe its not so obvious when you're in the passenger seat.

I've decided to live with it. I hardly notice it now over the squeaking of the clutch pedal.

Old 10-27-2017, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
bummer, it's back....

14,000 gloriously silent miles driving what felt like a brand new car, are now gone. This was from 36,000 to 50,000 on the odometer.

The dealership did a great job (they may not have, see the later post by me) with the warranty fix that is documented earlier in this thread. This time it's my own dime so I plan to look into it this weekend.

Anyone know if other threads have started on this same topic? I think the 6MT cars are just so few by comparison.

I honestly expected this to have be a nation wide recall or at least a TSB... I drive very 'old man like' so that may explain my good luck with nearly 14,000 problem free miles. I now others have mentioned the problem coming back much sooner. I get the miles, but they are gentle miles.

Last edited by CyclingFit; 11-09-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
Update 11/28/2017 - I will be creating a new post at some point today with my current findings. I do not recommend the 30mm bolts that are mentioned in this post. There is plenty of room for the factory bolts. I was overlooking the amount of damage caused to the factory 45mm bolts as the engine mount moved over time. This thread damage had to be preventing the bolt from going in farther. Also the dealerships addition of washers and loose rear bolt lead me to believe it would not be safe to drive the 45mm bolts deeper. The OEM 45mm bolts are just fine.

The following is older info and I recommend finding my newer posts.

Major breakthrough:

So I mentioned in a previous post that I am out of warranty so I would be looking into this myself. Please read my previous posts in this thread if you are curious about what I did previously.

So today I decided to pull the battery so I could see the bolt head and confirm whether the bolts needed tightening. Upon removal I see a stack of washers under the bolt head!! I reach around and realize there is a stack on the rear bolt too and they're LOOSELY SPINNING!

I put my socket on the bolt head and they won't tighten down, at least not without risk of damage. So I removed the rear bolt, the one with the loose stack of washers, I measured the length to confirm it's the factory bolt and it is the factory bolt! Then because I had to get back to work I added a few more washers (not pictured), made sure the bolt turned enough times to ensure proper thread engagement, put it all back together and drove my 100% silent, no knocking, no rattle, no ticking, car back to work.

So........... I don't know where I want to go from here. This is a huge stack of washers if they are doing this on the assembly line because of some wrong bolt call out. I can't imagine Honda doing this during assembly, even if it's because they ordered a million incorrect bolts.. The factory nuts are inside the body, I think, maybe they are incorrect.

I'll throw more time at this soon, I'm just so busy with family in town and it makes it difficult.

This picture is how the bolt appeared upon removal.

Last edited by CyclingFit; 11-28-2017 at 08:22 AM. Reason: New Info 11/28/2017
Old 11-09-2017, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
Potential Repair

Update 11/28/2017 - I will be creating a new post at some point today with my current findings. I do not recommend the 30mm bolts that are mentioned in this post. There is plenty of room for the factory bolts. I was overlooking the amount of damage caused to the factory 45mm bolts as the engine mount moved over time. This thread damage had to be preventing the bolt from going in farther. Also the dealerships addition of washers and loose rear bolt lead me to believe it would not be safe to drive the 45mm bolts deeper. The OEM 45mm bolts are just fine.

I have strong reason to believe the motor mount is not actually tightening down even though the bolts are getting tight. The following may become my plan.

Links are coming from this page:
https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-...ine-mount.html

Currently installed bolt, labeled '6' in the print:
90161-SWP-003
Bolt,Flange 12X45

A little research is telling me that an M12 washer is normally 2.7mm thick. If I remove all 6 washers that are not installed (16.2mm worth). I will need an a bolt that is about 30mm long.

Bolt on the other side of the engine is 30mm long and maybe perfect, labeled '9' on the print:
90174-STK-A00
Bolt, Flange (12X30)

Last edited by CyclingFit; 11-28-2017 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Update for quality.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:40 AM
5 Year Member
Opened a claim with Honda - we will see....

copy and paste from my submission to Honda.

Mileage 51,500

Description First - My job and why it matters. I work as a 'Level-3 Customer Care' representative for Cummins Engine Company. I have a very strong understanding of what is going on after I hit submit on this message. I am writing you to not only help myself, but to help Honda.

Honda dealers have been fielding complaints about sounds creaking, clicking, clunking, or whatever someone wants to call it on the Honda Fit cars. More specifically it is on the 6-speed manual transmission cars. Although I believe the situation I am about to explain is happening on more than the manual transmission cars, it's just much easier to notice.

If you are like most companies they don't want you opening links, but I'll provide a link you can copy and paste just in case you are okay with it. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...long-rant.html

In the link above my screen name is CylcingFit. You can read about my story and others. Sadly the fact that so many service locations have thrown time at this is ridiculous, but it is also typical with how low of quality many of today's technicians are.

I believe Honda is accidentally using incorrect bolts on the driver side motor mount of the Honda Fit cars. The bold that is specified for that location is 45mm long and has a threadless shoulder that is about 15mm long. You will see in the link above or the picture I will supply, the Honda dealer added over 10mm worth of washers to the bolts on my motor mount. For the last 15,000 miles I did not know this. While the car was under warranty I reluctantly allowed a technician and dealership to work on my car. Renner Honda of Columbus, IN, returned my car to me with stacks of wasters under the bolt heads of driver side motor mount.

I was back under the hood on my own because my noises had returned after 50,000 miles, after warranty had ended. I removed the battery and battery tray so that I could access the bolts heads. In disbelief I saw a stack of washers, telling me that the bolt head would not bottom out so the mechanic added washers until he thought it would tighten down. The rear bolt was incredibly tight, but it was because the bolt had run out of threads or possibly hit the bottom of the hole, I don't know. But what I do know is that even though the bolt did not want to go any farther into the hole / nut / uni-body, the washer were still loose. This tells confirmed that the noises I had been hearing had for sure been the motor mount moving!

So my findings, I believe engineering would back me. There is not need for a bolt that needs a shoulder like this. I added two more washers to the four that were already there. This totals about 15mm of washers on this 45mm long bolt. The bolts on the passenger side are only 30mm and I believe that means they would be ideal for the drive side too.

These Honda Fits are driving around with loose motor mounts. The bolts hits something and makes the assembly line and the technicians believe the bolts are actually tight and this is not true. Honda is replacing motor mounts, struts, CV shafts and more, because these motor mounts are not tightening down.

Please know that any level of engineering is welcome to reach out to me. I would like to have the correct bolts in my car. I do not want a stack of washers. I am even more happy if I can install the correct bolts myself to ensure the repair is done correctly.

The attached pic: I believe I can only submit one based on the system.
One pic is one of the bolts immediately after removal with the washers installed. Note that I had to add two more washers to get the bolts to tighten down the motor mount. I also confirmed with a proper metric ruler that these installed bolts are 45mm long, as specified by Honda.

Again, please know you can reach out to me. I am most interested in helping resolve this situation for myself and others.

Thank you,
Faithful Honda Fit Owner

Old 11-10-2017, 08:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CyclingFit
.............Thank you,
Faithful Honda Fit Owner
Nicely thought out and presented, perhaps they'll actually read it and take notice. Have not noticed the noise/sound on our '15 LX 6 spd @54000 miles. Sure looks/sounds like it's the bolts themselves...somebody somewhere f'ed up on such a simple thing, eh?

Old 11-10-2017, 11:34 AM
5 Year Member
That is a very well thought out and written letter to Honda. Well done !!!

Old 11-10-2017, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
Nicely thought out and presented, perhaps they'll actually read it and take notice. Have not noticed the noise/sound on our '15 LX 6 spd @54000 miles. Sure looks/sounds like it's the bolts themselves...somebody somewhere f'ed up on such a simple thing, eh?
Originally Posted by Westie
That is a very well thought out and written letter to Honda. Well done !!!
Thanks guys. I should have proof read a little closer, but I think it will still get some attention. Typing at work on non work stuff always causes me to hurry. I'm feeling pretty good though, at least I know I can fix my noise anytime it appears.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
Discussed with Honda

I was able to speak with Honda and the guy was very willing to listen to me. But I too take phone calls like this for a living. It's hard to go off of one persons findings when there are probably a couple hundred thousand of these cars out there.

If you can take the time to look at your car and add a washer (in my case 6) prior to reinstalling the motor mount bolt(s), and it eliminates your noises, it would help with this case. We can then reference my case number and help Honda Engineering to come up with a fix for this issue.

Yes, they should look at this from a CAD view and decide if the bolt is hitting something or has too long of shoulder.... but I don't think they will until they are provoked.

My compliments to Honda for listening, but they may have to hear more than my voice or see my one piece of evidence.

Enjoy!

Last edited by CyclingFit; 11-28-2017 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Update for quality.

Quick Reply: GK MTX Clutch/Transmission clicking noise? (Long Rant)