3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

How to unlock ALL doors at once from drivers door

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 04:10 PM
How to unlock ALL doors at once from drivers door

2015 EX 6 spd

99% of the time, I open the driver door by holding the handle. I do not use the key fob. When I do this, only the driver door opens. When I open the doors by holding the handle of the passenger door, ALL the doors open. When I open the rear hatch, ALL the doors open. I believe this is factory default. I want to change that to where when I hold the driver's door handle, ALL the doors open.

On the Fit Manual page 104 (Customizing the Auto Door Locking/Unlocking Setting), it states:

"Mode: Driver's Door Open Unlock Mode - All doors unlock when the driver's door is opened"

Then on page 106 (Customizing Flow for Auto Door Unlocking Options), there are directions for how to set up this process (Driver Door Open Unlock Mode). Without re-typing all the steps here, suffice it to say, I tried doing this 10 times and I cannot get this to function as described. To confirm I did this correctly, I observed the last action as described in the manual every time i tried;i.e., (When completed) all doors lock and all turn signals blink 3 times.

Any ideas? What could I have done wrong?

Old 11-28-2016, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
You're not doing anything wrong, you're just interpreting it incorrectly. The feature you're changing is what happens when you are in the vehicle and pulling into a parking spot. Will the doors unlock when you open your driver's door, or will they unlock when you put it in park.

I don't think there is a setting where like you said, you get to the drivers door and it unlocks all doors.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:23 PM
lol....OH! Jesus..... Sigh. Why do they do it this way? What a hassle. I have to open the back door to load my back seat very often when I get in my car. This is a huge hassle every time. And why do they open ALL the doors when its opened from the passenger side or the rear hatch? I've heard people say it's for safety reasons (car jacking) but that's a really dumb reason for Honda to program it this way.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
First world problem

Old 11-28-2016, 06:03 PM
Yep....We live in a first world last I checked.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
You're not doing anything wrong, you're just interpreting it incorrectly. The feature you're changing is what happens when you are in the vehicle and pulling into a parking spot. Will the doors unlock when you open your driver's door, or will they unlock when you put it in park.

I don't think there is a setting where like you said, you get to the drivers door and it unlocks all doors.
I read it that way too, OP, and I wish it were true. As it is, I have to walk to my door, open it, then hit the toggle on the inside. Invariably my wonderful but impatient friends are already pulling on the doors. Or I have to pull up the hatch. Or use the plipper, like it's 2005 or something. I guess I should be happy I live in a place where the anti-car jacking reason for this feature is completely foreign. First world problems indeed.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
I agree on nearly all accounts given.
That is...it would be nice if it was a programmable choice. I'd like it to be.
On my previous vehicle you COULD program it to open all doors with the touch of the drivers door. It's what I did, despite the Car Jacking risk....which is why I think it isn't the default.

That being said....it probably IS safer that your whole vehicle isn't automatically unlocked with one touch as you get into it.....
And while I find the inability to choose this option disappointing and frustrating...It is IMO a minor issue.
Since I can unlock the hatch with a touch....or either the drivers or passengers door with a touch, it's NOT that big a deal to me that if I want all the doors unlocked I just hit the unlock button on the drivers door. I'm NOT that lazy yet.

If I'm approaching my vehicle in the rain, and I know I want it entirely open, I just use the "Old School" fob. If you press unlock twice....it unlocks everything. Easy Enough options to overcome the non-program-ability of that particular desire.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:21 PM
I hear ya... Its just that my daily life involves having to load something in the back seat almost every time I get in the car and it is a hassle to have to open the driver door and use the master lock/unlock button every time. I never use the key fob - pretty much stays in my backpack. Anyway...... Good to know it wasn't me and there is nothing broken.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:22 PM
I never open the passenger doors. I put stuff in the back, that's what I thought it was for, stuff. Passengers go into passenger doors if I'm not mistaken.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by Fit_as_a_butchers_dog
I never open the passenger doors. I put stuff in the back, that's what I thought it was for, stuff. Passengers go into passenger doors if I'm not mistaken.
You're mistaken.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by LVFit
You're mistaken.
Ooh snap! LOL

Old 11-29-2016, 12:21 AM
5 Year Member
The LX doesn't have the first world problem. Besides the panic button, the fob has a clearly marked button to lock and a button to unlock. Press the unlock button once, the driver's door unlocks. Press it the 2nd time, all doors including the hatch unlocks. Press the lock button once, the lights flashes and I hear the "click" assuring me that all door locks. No blasting horn is necessary. Pretty logical design I would say. With the first world problem, what assures you that the doors are locked when you leave the car?

Last edited by wasserball; 11-29-2016 at 12:59 AM.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:15 AM
5 Year Member
Another adaptation I have made....which is so obvious as to be nearly unmentionable, is since I know the drivers side door will NOT unlock all the doors, if I'm approaching the vehicle with a desire or need to load the passenger area? Sometimes I just head directly to the front passenger side door, and use it first.

This allows me to unlock the vehicle and load things in the passenger area...without using the fob.

Bottom Line...I know Honda is concerned about "possible" car jacking. BUT..I do wish they would of made the option our choice.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
The LX doesn't have the first world problem. Besides the panic button, the fob has a clearly marked button to lock and a button to unlock. Press the unlock button once, the driver's door unlocks. Press it the 2nd time, all doors including the hatch unlocks. Press the lock button once, the lights flashes and I hear the "click" assuring me that all door locks. No blasting horn is necessary. Pretty logical design I would say. With the first world problem, what assures you that the doors are locked when you leave the car?
The EX/EX-L smart key works the same way

People are just venting on how you can't unlock all the doors by touching the driver's door without ever touching the key fob.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:34 AM
5 Year Member
The EX/EX-L smart key works the same way

People are just venting on how you can't unlock all the doors by touching the driver's door without ever touching the key fob.
Yes, I got it. I see that it took a whole page to explain its operation in the owner's guide. I never liked the electronic remote operation key. It complicates something that is simple. Don't get me started on the push start button. It is all about LX vs EX.

Last edited by wasserball; 11-29-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:10 AM
5 Year Member
I'm not sure why it has to be a versus anything at all. I like my EX w/ the smart key. If you like your LX with a conventional key, great. It's like saying, I'm going to stick with my flip phone and never get a pesky smart phone. If that's what you like, good for you.

The smart key with a push button start in the Fit is a first for me and I like it's operation. I still have to remember to grab the key out of my pocket when I get to my other vehicle and say, why didn't you unlock for me?

Old 11-29-2016, 09:15 AM
5 Year Member
I'm not sure why it has to be a versus anything at all. I like my EX w/ the smart key. If you like your LX with a conventional key, great. It's like saying, I'm going to stick with my flip phone and never get a pesky smart phone. If that's what you like, good for you.

The smart key with a push button start in the Fit is a first for me and I like it's operation. I still have to remember to grab the key out of my pocket when I get to my other vehicle and say, why didn't you unlock for me?
OK, it shouldn't be. Now, go out and drive your car.

Last edited by wasserball; 11-29-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
For the LX, put key into the driver's side lock, turn once to open driver's door, turn second time to open all doors. Maybe it will also work for the EX?

Old 11-29-2016, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
For the LX, put key into the driver's side lock, turn once to open driver's door, turn second time to open all doors. Maybe it will also work for the EX?
Have you tried the auto door locks? Personally, I don't like it when Honda decides all doors should be locked and unlocked. Custom Auto Door Lock Options | 2015 Honda Fit | Honda Owners Site

Default Lock Setting All doors are preset to lock when your vehicle reaches about 10 mph.
Default Unlock Setting All doors are set to unlock when the driver’s door is opened.

Last edited by wasserball; 11-29-2016 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
Have you tried the auto door locks? Personally, I don't like it when Honda decides all doors should be locked and unlocked. Custom Auto Door Lock Options | 2015 Honda Fit | Honda Owners Site

Default Lock Setting All doors are preset to lock when your vehicle reaches about 10 mph.
Default Unlock Setting All doors are set to unlock when the driver’s door is opened.
I played around with this with our '15 LX ....I left the auto-lock enabled, but disabled the auto unlock....took a bit of fumbling on my part, but finally got it to do what I want

Quick Reply: How to unlock ALL doors at once from drivers door