3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Winter heat

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
Winter heat

Now that we've got a cold snap in Wisconsin, I notice that our Fit doesn't have the strongest heater. On my VW TDI I was able to buy grill covers that helped a lot. Anybody heard of a grill cover available for GK Fit to retain more heat in the engine compartment (faster warm up, slower cool down when shut off during errands).

Old 12-15-2016, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
Have heard about the Fit's heat being a lil weak, have not heard of grill covers you ask of. I'm south of Knoxville TN, doesn't really get too cold very often (by northern standards.....been there, done that, but not with the Fit). Good luck, and, hey, you can always cheap out and use cardboard

Old 12-15-2016, 12:41 AM
Agree that the Fit's HVAC is underpowered. Not enough A/C in the summer is a drag, but not enough heat in the winter can be dangerous.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:03 AM
5 Year Member
They are a popular item up north on PU trucks. I have never used them in the lower US. I looked at Canadian Tire online or Princess Auto to see if they have anything listed. Nothing listed. I see lot of them for PU trucks but not for cars. I left a message for a friend in Fort St. John to see if he had any sources. I'll let you know when he replies. I had one when I spent a winter in Alaska but had no use for it when I returned to the lower 48.

When you have a high MPG car, it burns less gas and produces less heat. I have always noticed that it takes small engine vehicles to warm up in the winter.

Last edited by n9cv; 12-15-2016 at 02:06 AM.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by The Fitness
Agree that the Fit's HVAC is underpowered. Not enough A/C in the summer is a drag, but not enough heat in the winter can be dangerous.
I've found the AC to be more than adequate for me here in the east TN summer ....this'll be my first winter with the Fit, but ...my wife is the one who gets cold, and her car has heated seats, so....I'm good

Old 12-15-2016, 06:35 AM
the AC was more than adequate for an Alabama summer. The only issue was when you first start in a hot car and are sitting in traffic. once the car is moving its fine. once the car is cooled off its fine. I could see the heater being an issue especially having to use outside air when using defrost

Old 12-15-2016, 07:13 AM
5 Year Member
Like the AC, the Heat is just adequate in the Fit. It's not great, nor is it horrible. Once it gets up to temperature it is fine. What I found works for me is the run recirculate initially to heat or cool the interior, then switch to fresh air.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:06 AM
5 Year Member
The grill cover is simply a piece of plastic or metal that you shove in front of the radiator. Anything that blocks the wind will do, provided it is weather proof. Do you really think a grill cover will make the Fit's tiny heater more adequate?

My next mod will be front heated seats. These are great when the Fit is cold.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
I agree, the heater could be stronger. The car barely warms up inside on my drive to work. Of course, that's only 5 miles, so I guess I can't expect that much. On a longer drive, say 45 minutes to an hour, the heater is just fine.

For the record, the best heater I ever had in a car was in my '96 Plymouth Neon. I'd start up cold in near zero weather and in two miles I would be dialing back the heater fan. Worst heater was in my '92 Dodge Shadow. The heater was so weak that if you ran the fan at any setting above "2", I swear the car would get colder, not warmer.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
Years ago I used to see people placing pieces of cardboard in front of the radiator. That's all it took. You could paint the cardboard black to make it less noticeable. They would cut a slot in the cardboard to allow some air though to maintain some radiator cooling. Don't see this so much anymore.

Old 12-15-2016, 03:42 PM
Heat is fine

Have not considered the heat to be an issue up here in Canada last week during our cold snap (-28C temps or -18F if your prefer). Had the hat and gloves off within 10km and by the time I got to work (45km) was turning the heat down.

Old 12-15-2016, 03:46 PM
It's interesting to hear people's different experiences. I agree that the A/C is adequate once the car is moving at a good clip.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:09 PM
Heater output is limited by the heat produced by the little engine and by how quickly it warms up. If you don't need much engine power, say because you live on top of a hill, it can take a pretty long time to get warm enough to do much.

I've never thought the heat was particularly underpowered. There is a decent amount of interior volume to warm up, and that does take time, but it gets the job done adequately for me. By the same token, I would also not say it's exceptionally strong.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:16 PM
5 Year Member
I blocked out the front grill last winter, but this winter I gave up on it. Not much of a difference. I always use the 2nd setting on the fan speed, and it works fine. But I do agreee that the system feels underpowered when supercold outside.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
Funny, I checked the coolant the other day because the heat just doesn't seem to be as warm as last winter but it was fine. AC was OK in summer but the Fit windshield is so big that sun can really burn in.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for all the replies! I'll try some cardboard first, and see if I notice a difference.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
Have heard about the Fit's heat being a lil weak, have not heard of grill covers you ask of. I'm south of Knoxville TN, doesn't really get too cold very often (by northern standards.....been there, done that, but not with the Fit). Good luck, and, hey, you can always cheap out and use cardboard
Says the man who lives to the east of me and on higher ground. Well Fuelish, it is 22 degrees still air, 9:33 PM and its heading your way.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by KentFinn
Says the man who lives to the east of me and on higher ground. Well Fuelish, it is 22 degrees still air, 9:33 PM and its heading your way.
Meanwhile, here in Vermont, it's -2.7°F outside. I'll be staying in for the night.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:03 PM
Talking OK that's for realsies cold.

Originally Posted by DrewE
...it's -2.7°F outside...

Brrrrrr!

Old 12-15-2016, 11:12 PM
Try dressing in layers. I heard that helps.

Quick Reply: Winter heat