3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Dealer suggested me to replace engine and cabin air filter as well as front wipers

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
Dealer suggested me to replace engine and cabin air filter as well as front wipers

Hi,
Looking for some suggestions for engine and cabin air filters. Dealer asked me $60 each for replacing them I think. They also suggested me to replace wiper blades and inserts ($120 for whole assembly). The suggested some kind of issue with lubricant which makes them go very hard against wind shield. Honda refused to replace them under warranty. Any suggestions about this issue.

Thanks

Last edited by ritholtz; 02-14-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by ritholtz
Hi,
Looking for some suggestions for engine and cabin air filters. Dealer asked me $60 each for replacing them I think. They also suggested me to replace wiper blades and inserts ($120 for whole assembly). The suggested some kind of issue with lubricant which makes them go very hard against wind shield. Honda refused to replace them under warranty. Any suggestions about this issue.

Thanks

We need a little more detail as to why these are suggested by the dealer.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:20 PM
5 Year Member
that is the biggest load of crap i've heard in a while. don't fall for it OP, that dealer is a ripoff. There is no "lubricant". If there was, you'd see it smearing all over your windshield.

But yes, please provide more details. Everything sounds so weird. Like, how old is your car and how many miles on it? etc.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wanako
that is the biggest load of crap i've heard in a while. don't fall for it OP, that dealer is a ripoff. There is no "lubricant". If there was, you'd see it smearing all over your windshield.

But yes, please provide more details. Everything sounds so weird. Like, how old is your car and how many miles on it? etc.
My car is 2 years old. I have 23k miles on it. I have a problem with wipers where they make laud noise unless there is a lot of rain / water on the wind shield. When I complained to Honda service rep, they suggested me to replace wiper blade assembly not just the inserts.

Thanks

Old 02-14-2017, 04:22 PM
The wiper blades are not under warranty, but if you are still under 36k and 3 years the wiper arms should be I would think, they are not a normal replacement item.

Old 02-14-2017, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
My dealer replaced my wiper blades for $13.00 and installed them. After 2 years they

replaced my cabin air filter for $25.00. They didn't charge me for the oil filter. 18k miles, 2 1/2 years.

Last edited by exl500; 02-14-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
I just bought both the engine and cabin air filter on eBay for $50. It takes me about 5 minutes to install both. Genuine Honda parts, too.

Why change the entire wiper blade? I just change the rubber inserts when they're needed.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 02-14-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:57 PM
The dealer prices are outrageous. The parts may be due for replacement. It's not exactly rocket science to figure that part out; if the wipers aren't wiping effectively (but leave some water behind or whatever), the refills need replacement, or the whole blade part if you're so inclined. The air filters can be inspected pretty well visually. Usually I find my cabin air filter gets far more cruddy than the engine air filter for some reason.

These are all three things that you can do yourself even if you are all thumbs. The owner's manual explains the process.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
I lost one of the four little plastic parts to the clips on the engine air filter. Anyone have a source other than going to the dealer?

Old 02-14-2017, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
My EX is barely 5 month old...
And I've struggled with the wiper blades nearly from day one.

I at my own expense have replaced the front Drivers side wiper insert, and it seemed to help. For about 2 weeks, then went back to being as bad as the nearly brand new wiper blade insert I replaced.

I'm convinced it's just a problem that exists with some Honda Fits. Unfortunately mine is one of them.

Since I think the baseline for normal operation of a windshield wiper, with wiper blades in good shape, should be relatively quiet operation, talk of needing totally new assemblies, or needing lubricants is imo ridiculous.

The wipers should just work.

If you need new wiper blade arms after just 2 years and only 23K...then my argument would be that they have been and are defective and should be replaced under warranty.

But honestly?
Since I have a similar problem, I'm not really sure how to fix it. My wiper blade arms look fine. The Blades are fine. They just drag with too much friction.

The only remedy I have found that even "sorta" works is using Rain-X. For a while it seems the Rain-X reduces the friction against the glass. Of course with Rain-X I'm also not using the wipers as much in low, or light, light rain conditions...so who knows?

If you replace the wiper blade arms and it works?
I'd actually kind of like to know.

I love my Honda Fit...but this has been the most annoying problem it has had.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:56 AM
5 Year Member
My passenger side wiper chatters if I replace it, so I put the old one back on. I understand the reason it chatters, for the wiper blades not to chatter, they must be perfectly( or really close) to perpendicular to the windshield.
I have only seen wiper chatter in one direction and they work fine in the other direction. When I get to messing with my passenger blade, I plan the remove the arm from the Fit and put it in a vise and tweak(rotate one end) to make the blade sit perpendicular. My thinking is that if it chatters while the blade is moving up the windshield; need to rotate the blade side of the wiper arm down ever so slightly. If it chatters when the blade is moving down; I need to rotate the blade side of the wiper arm up. Once again these are me thinking, but once I fix mine, I will be back on this post to confirm it for everyone.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:18 AM
5 Year Member
Hi,

Thanks
I suggest you never go back to that dealership as they are gouging you money. Both filters take approximately 5 minutes to do. The inserts only cost about $15 and are trickier but doable diy

Old 02-15-2017, 08:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
Since I have a similar problem, I'm not really sure how to fix it. My wiper blade arms look fine. The Blades are fine. They just drag with too much friction.
The angle by which the blades rest against the glass can have a lot to do with chattering.

Most wiper arms have a flat metal piece up near the blade holder. (Not plastic arms, of course, so don't try to do this on a REAR wiper blade.)

I have successfully reduced/eliminated wiper chatter on several cars (not just Hondas) by twisting the flat metal portion of the arms, to change the blade angle.

First, cover the arms with tape or cloth (no scratches!). Then, using two adjustable wrenches drawn as tight against the flat metal as you can, pull them in opposite directions to twist. (The farther apart, the better.)

It only requires a MM or two of twist to get the results you need. (You don't want to twist so much that the rigid portions of the blade holders rub on the glass!)

Any questions let me know, I could take some demonstration pics (although I don't have a newer Fit).

Last edited by Carbuff2; 02-15-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by SteveSatch
I lost one of the four little plastic parts to the clips on the engine air filter. Anyone have a source other than going to the dealer?
The dealer is probably the only place to get one. They're around $3 each.

Part # 17219-P65-000

Old 02-15-2017, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Carbuff2
The angle by which the blades rest against the glass can have a lot to do with chattering.

Most wiper arms have a flat metal piece up near the blade holder. (Not plastic arms, of course, so don't try to do this on a REAR wiper blade.)

I have successfully reduced/eliminated wiper chatter on several cars (not just Hondas) by twisting the flat metal portion of the arms, to change the blade angle.

First, cover the arms with tape or cloth (no scratches!). Then, using two adjustable wrenches drawn as tight against the flat metal as you can, pull them in opposite directions to twist. (The farther apart, the better.)

It only requires a MM or two of twist to get the results you need. (You don't want to twist so much that the rigid portions of the blade holders rub on the glass!)

Any questions let me know, I could take some demonstration pics (although I don't have a newer Fit).

Thanks for the answer.
In another thread somebody made a similar recommendation.
To be honest?
I'm just hesitant to bend the metal, in fear of making it worse.

If the arms are coming from the factory not angled correctly?
It would seem to me that's a manufacturing and quality control issue for Honda. Because owners shouldn't have to bend their wiper arms. They should be angled correctly as installed and manufactured.

BUT...
Since there doesn't seem to be any other really viable answer, perhaps I'll muster up the courage to attack my wiper blade arms with pliers.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:21 AM
5 Year Member
My EX is barely 5 month old...
And I've struggled with the wiper blades nearly from day one.

I at my own expense have replaced the front Drivers side wiper insert, and it seemed to help. For about 2 weeks, then went back to being as bad as the nearly brand new wiper blade insert I replaced.

I'm convinced it's just a problem that exists with some Honda Fits. Unfortunately mine is one of them.

Since I think the baseline for normal operation of a windshield wiper, with wiper blades in good shape, should be relatively quiet operation, talk of needing totally new assemblies, or needing lubricants is imo ridiculous.

The wipers should just work.

If you need new wiper blade arms after just 2 years and only 23K...then my argument would be that they have been and are defective and should be replaced under warranty.

But honestly?

The only remedy I have found that even "sorta" works is using Rain-X. For a while it seems the Rain-X reduces the friction against the glass. Of course with Rain-X I'm also not using the wipers as much in low, or light, light rain conditions...so who knows?

If you replace the wiper blade arms and it works?
I'd actually kind of like to know.

I love my Honda Fit...but this has been the most annoying problem it has had.
My problem is also too much friction. Another issue is the way Honda designed speed setting on these wipers. There are only three levels. Difference between 1 (too slow) and 2 (too fast) are too much.

Honda warranty is only 6 months on these wiper assembly. They are not fixing under warranty. Looks like there are 3 parts (wiper arms, blades and plastic insert). Dealer suggested me to replace all and they said there is no warranty.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:35 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the answer.
In another thread somebody made a similar recommendation.
To be honest?
I'm just hesitant to bend the metal, in fear of making it worse.

If the arms are coming from the factory not angled correctly?
It would seem to me that's a manufacturing and quality control issue for Honda. Because owners shouldn't have to bend their wiper arms. They should be angled correctly as installed and manufactured.

BUT...
Since there doesn't seem to be any other really viable answer, perhaps I'll muster up the courage to attack my wiper blade arms with pliers.
My car came with rear wiper blade installed in reverse or something. It didn't work. They replaced it. I also have 6 years old Honda Accord with some vibration issues during accelerating at highway speeds. Dealer asked me $1500 to fix driveshafts. There are expensive issues with Hondas also.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:28 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Hi,

Thanks
hahaha!!!

WTF..

buy ur air filters on amazon and replace dem on ur own. the wiper refills are da only things i buy from the dealer or online.. check da vendors here.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
If the wiper arms or blades are not aligned properly, it's a warranty issue. They should not be defective. If it's the inserts (aka refills), then those are expendable items and are expected to wear out. You don't get tires or brakes when they wear out, either, and wiper inserts can be expected to wear out within a year.

The inserts do have a lubricant, and when the lubricant dries out, you don't apply lubricant; it's time to replace the inserts. About once a year; I replace mine in the autumn or early winter.

Last edited by Buck Fitty; 02-16-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
To OP,

Like others have suggested, replace the Cabin and Engine filters yourself. Pretty easy once you see how involved it really is. Should maybe take you 20-30 minutes tops. With the bulk of you time wondering how you accumulated soo much crap in your glove box.

The wiper blade may take a bit longer, but totally doable. I wouldn't take the car into the dealership and pay that outrageous price for those maintence items.

Quick Reply: Dealer suggested me to replace engine and cabin air filter as well as front wipers