Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Opinions Wanted: Cargo Tray & Cargo Cover (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/95693-opinions-wanted-cargo-tray-cargo-cover.html)

hondasrun4ever 04-19-2017 03:50 PM

Opinions Wanted: Cargo Tray & Cargo Cover

Which accessories should I get on my new EX? I will probably get the mud guards. I have them on my 2007 Civic, and they help keep tar etc. off the area right behind the wheels. I'll also get the cargo net, because I use the one in my Civic all the time. But I'm undecided about the following......

What's the cargo tray like? I'm thinking it might be a good idea to get it for when I haul my scuba gear. But what about when you fold the rear seats flat? Does the lip of the cargo tray stick up and interfere with hauling long objects?

What's the cargo cover like? Does it tend to vibrate and make noise? Is it nice to have, or does it just get in the way more often than not?

I'm curious to hear any feedback about these accessories, especially the cargo tray and cargo cover?

Thanks!

exl500 04-19-2017 04:03 PM

I have the cargo tray but not the cover. I like the tray for its protection of the carpet underneath, and don't miss the cover because I live in FL and you can't see in the car with the legal tint level. An added nice thing about the tray is you can put papers and envelopes under it and they are entirely concealed.

2Rismo2 04-19-2017 04:14 PM

I don't have any experience with the cargo cover other than knowing it's overpriced. I made my own for about $30. It's removable in 20 seconds and is flatter than the OEM version. It's flat enough that I can tuck it between the door and the rear seat if I haul a lot of stuff. More pics if you click my sig pic.

I would also suggest wheel locks. It's a good deterrent. Buy them aftermarket though, buying direct from Honda is expensive. Got mine on eBay.

Buck Fitty 04-19-2017 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by exl500 (Post 1369758)
I have the cargo tray but not the cover. I like the tray for its protection of the carpet underneath, and don't miss the cover because I live in FL and you can't see in the car with the legal tint level. An added nice thing about the tray is you can put papers and envelopes under it and they are entirely concealed.

Why conceal the paperwork if you can't see in the car?

ATLfit10 04-19-2017 05:03 PM

I've put a cargo tray in every car I've owned. I really do view it as that important. Even if you don't use your trunk often I would strongly consider it. Along these same lines are all weather mats but I would not get the Honda ones instead going for WeatherTech (my preference) or Husky liners.

I never did end up getting a cargo cover for my GE in the 3.5 years I owned it and haven't decided for the GK. ~$200 is crazy for that piece... If I do get one it will be a DIY not the Honda one for what that's worth.

Other accessories I would consider are the bumper applique, mud flaps, and wheel locks. Probably wouldn't buy any of these from the dealer unless they were already on the car at the lot.

TorontoBoy 04-19-2017 05:34 PM

If you have sand, snow or ice in your weather, definitely get custom mats, but not at your dealer. As stated, Husky or Weathertech.

Instead of the cargo tray you could buy a thicker rubber mat from Home Depot and cut a custom mat. This works better when you have the rear seats flat.

Instead of the cargo cover I use a black blanket to cover up whatever I am carrying. It works very well and is inexpensive.

Also consider a Garmin GPS. The Honda one costs ~$200/yr for updates, I believe.

abueloloco 04-19-2017 06:10 PM

I got the cargo cover with the purchase of the car. After having it I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it. My windows are tinted so it's pretty hard to see in anyway. The cover seems to get in the way more than not.

The cargo tray is a definite must in my opinion. I don't really trust the strength of the OEM floor tire cover. I got the Husky and I really like the way it molds to the shape of the floor and comes up the sides.

Tinted windows. Enough said.

My personal preference but I like a leather steering wheel wrap. Better grip, just feels better.

As mentioned a GPS. Love our Garmin.

exl500 04-19-2017 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Buck Fitty (Post 1369760)
Why conceal the paperwork if you can't see in the car?

I'll admit I questioned myself as I wrote that! Extra precaution I guess if someone breaks the hatch window..

kanadary 04-19-2017 08:04 PM

we got the tray first for my daughters car, its saved the trunk floor from spilled paint and drinks. I just got the carry for her since she drives into seattle alot and theres some high smash and grab areas. Its ok, not worth 200 but it will cover up whatever is underneath. So rattles or noises so far

makyong 04-19-2017 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by hondasrun4ever (Post 1369757)
Which accessories should I get on my new EX? I will probably get the mud guards. I have them on my 2007 Civic, and they help keep tar etc. off the area right behind the wheels. I'll also get the cargo net, because I use the one in my Civic all the time. But I'm undecided about the following......

What's the cargo tray like? I'm thinking it might be a good idea to get it for when I haul my scuba gear. But what about when you fold the rear seats flat? Does the lip of the cargo tray stick up and interfere with hauling long objects?

What's the cargo cover like? Does it tend to vibrate and make noise? Is it nice to have, or does it just get in the way more often than not?

I'm curious to hear any feedback about these accessories, especially the cargo tray and cargo cover?

Thanks!

1. I got my cargo tray as a freebie from the dealership, but I'm not using it. Opted for custom cut 3M nomad to complement my front/rear floor mat. With the rear seats folded, I have another set of custom cut mat that covers the whole area.

2. Cargo cover comes as standard with my unit. It doesn't make any noise at all, it's a snug fit (comes with rubber fittings). You just have to remove it every time you have bigger luggage.

Limmie 04-19-2017 11:02 PM

I presume by cover you mean the optional item that goes from the top of the back seat to the window? We don't have one. I considered it but I don't want stuff on top of it because it is hard enough to see out of the back window. I figure anything in the very back cargo area we want to hide I can do so casually with the usual junk I have back there such as shopping bags, my own window squeegee (the ones at the gas stations here tend to have a lot of grit in them which I don't want scratching my glass), etc. The junk has an irregular and innocent appearance to it, whereas if you use a blanket then it tends to mold to the shape of the toolbox or guitar you are hiding. If it looks like you are hiding something somebody may go for it anyway and for me the big nuisance isn't the loss of the item (maybe a toolbox with $20 of tools in it) but glass replacement.

I have a Weathertec cargo mat for the cargo area. They are pricey but I was sold on the idea of raised edges for spill containment which a regular rubber mat might not do so well. The few times I have needed to lay a larger item flat in the back the edges just flatten out and I guess I could always just take it out if I was helping somebody moves lots of boxes all day or something.

If you live somewhere where you are tracking snow, mud, or sand into the car it may be worth considering getting a full round of custom fit mats. With snow is isn't just the snow, it's the salt added to the road slush which will then eat out the car floor from the inside. The carpeting in the Fit is more like felt (junk) and if you have a new car then a couple of hundred can be amortized over the life of the car.

I also got a set of seat covers, but you have to make sure you get the kind that work with built-in airbags.

Fuelish 04-20-2017 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by TorontoBoy (Post 1369769)
If you have sand, snow or ice in your weather, definitely get custom mats, but not at your dealer. As stated, Husky or Weathertech.

Instead of the cargo tray you could buy a thicker rubber mat from Home Depot and cut a custom mat. This works better when you have the rear seats flat.

Instead of the cargo cover I use a black blanket to cover up whatever I am carrying. It works very well and is inexpensive.

Also consider a Garmin GPS. The Honda one costs ~$200/yr for updates, I believe.

Basically the same here....wouldn't mind having a cargo cover, but I ain't shelling out additional $$$ for one, it should be standard equipment...I have a black '15 LX, legal tint on the windows, I went and bought a cheap set of queen sized black sheets somewhere (Target?? Walmart??? ... dunno) and use the top sheet to cover anything important in the rear, I use the fitted bottom sheet to cover the backseat when transporting the dogs, and use the pillowcases to "hide " my wife's purse in case she decides to leave it in the car (which I hate, but....sometimes she doesn't wanna carry her purse ...So, LEAVE IT HOME!!!). But I digress ;) Yeah, I also have a Garmin with supposed free lifetime updates, and it sits right nice in the cupholder in the dash in front of the driver side dash vent. <edit> oh yeah, edit - I bought a couple of mats at Home Depot, large enough that it curls up on the sides to contain spills, will lay flat when seats go down, and I have the second one cut into 2 pieces to cover the back of the seats when down if needed ...it's kinda foam backed rubber of some sort with a kind of manhole cover pattern molded into the top...not classy, but highly functional, and IIRC, I got the idea from someone here right after I bought the thing last year

fitchet 04-20-2017 02:07 AM

I own and enjoy both those accessories.
I like to imagine that I'm getting some sound deadening benefit, although it's probably more placebo than anything else.
The cover is expensive, but it does what it is designed to do, which IMO is really nice.
My dealership offered a 1st time, one time "coupon" on purchased accessories which allowed me to get the Cover at a slight discount.
Without that coupon, I think I would of balked at the cost, despite the fact that I really, really like the cover.

2Rismo2 04-20-2017 08:30 AM

Honestly I wouldn't even consider a GPS. I run Waze or Google maps on my phone most of the time. The traffic is real time versus the slower responding traffic feature the Garmin offers. Only time Garmin is better is if you are in spotty cell phone coverage area.

Fuelish 04-20-2017 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by 2Rismo2 (Post 1369816)
Honestly I wouldn't even consider a GPS. I run Waze or Google maps on my phone most of the time. The traffic is real time versus the slower responding traffic feature the Garmin offers. Only time Garmin is better is if you are in spotty cell phone coverage area.

Well, yeah, IF ya have a smart phone ....I'm still rockin' a dumb old slide phone, or whatever they were called .... heh. Phone works over Bluetooth, got the Garmin for GPS, got the iPod for tunes, and got knobs and buttons on the dash :) Yeah, I'm a Luddite

2Rismo2 04-20-2017 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Fuelish (Post 1369820)
Well, yeah, IF ya have a smart phone ....I'm still rockin' a dumb old slide phone, or whatever they were called .... heh. Phone works over Bluetooth, got the Garmin for GPS, got the iPod for tunes, and got knobs and buttons on the dash :) Yeah, I'm a Luddite

Not a luddite if you're rocking all those electronics:confused::nod::)

I prefer to consolidate. One smart phone can do GPS, Music and phone calls/text/surf interwebz etc.

Press Fit 04-20-2017 01:06 PM

I have 3D MAXpider mats in the and . The back has a micro velcro-like backing that keeps the mats in place. I especially like the middle mat because it has full floor covering. Important because I usually ride with the magic seats in the up position.

My cargo cover is a dark blanket that I toss over items that need obscuring. It also serves many purposes including ground cover for picnics and car repairs. It also protects my bumper when pulling large, heavy things out the hatch.

hondasrun4ever 04-20-2017 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by TorontoBoy (Post 1369769)

Oh yeah, tons of snow & salt here in northeast Ohio. Where do you buy these custom mats? Every other car I owned, I just used the standard equipment floor mats, but if the carpet in the Fit is as cheap as everyone says, then maybe I'll invest in good mats this time.

futhamucka 04-20-2017 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by hondasrun4ever (Post 1369846)
Oh yeah, tons of snow & salt here in northeast Ohio. Where do you buy these custom mats? Every other car I owned, I just used the standard equipment floor mats, but if the carpet in the Fit is as cheap as everyone says, then maybe I'll invest in good mats this time.

I'm in NE Ohio too and I put husky floor liners in my 2017 day one. I have similar liners in all three family cars, no problems with salty mush getting under them :)

abueloloco 04-20-2017 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Press Fit (Post 1369841)
I have 3D MAXpider mats in the front, middle and back. The back has a micro velcro-like backing that keeps the mats in place. I especially like the middle mat because it has full floor covering. Important because I usually ride with the magic seats in the up position.

Got these in mine also. Love the way they fit and look.