3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Idle issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 01:27 AM
5 Year Member
Idle issue

I have a 2015 EX-LNAV CVT. about 15,000miles. When I come to a stop it seems the idle is very smooth and then gets a bit rough. Sometimes it stays smooth. If I take my foot off the brake for a few seconds it smooths out then after pressing brake pedal again it goes to the vibrating feeling. Was gonna wait for first oil change to go to dealer. I bought it with just over 13,000 miles from a Honda dealer and it is certified preowned full warranty until 11/2018 and power train until 11/2021. Any thoughts of what it could be to mention to dealer or any similar idle issues out there??
Thanks

Old 05-15-2017, 07:32 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
could be several things like air filter related, MAF, throttle body, torque converter, battery related, or even just as simple as a ECU reflash. definitely mention it when u take the car in for an oil change as it shouldn't idle rough even if you creeped a few inches and reapplied the brakes.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:26 PM
By rough do you mean the engine stumbles or sounds somewhat intermittent, or just that the car or parts of the car vibrate or rattle while the engine itself idles smoothly?

If it's the latter, I would guess that it's pretty much normal as the idle rpm does fluctuate somewhat in response to varying conditions (engine loads like the alternator, whether it's fully warmed up or not, probably time since it was last revved, etc.). If the idle speed happens to match the natural resonant frequency of some part of the car, it will cause it to sympathetically vibrate. I've noticed this at times with the long wiper arm for the passenger side windshield wiper on my Fit.

If it's the first, with then engine stumbling, definitely have the dealer check it out under warranty. It should idle smoothly under pretty much any condition.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DrewE
By rough do you mean the engine stumbles or sounds somewhat intermittent, or just that the car or parts of the car vibrate or rattle while the engine itself idles smoothly?

If it's the latter, I would guess that it's pretty much normal as the idle rpm does fluctuate somewhat in response to varying conditions (engine loads like the alternator, whether it's fully warmed up or not, probably time since it was last revved, etc.). If the idle speed happens to match the natural resonant frequency of some part of the car, it will cause it to sympathetically vibrate. I've noticed this at times with the long wiper arm for the passenger side windshield wiper on my Fit.

If it's the first, with then engine stumbling, definitely have the dealer check it out under warranty. It should idle smoothly under pretty much any condition.
It is definitely the latter. I notice the wiper vibration but then at other times you barely feel a vibration. It doesn't seem to be a cold or warm thing and like I said just removing my foot from the brake makes it go away and return after reapplying the brake. If it's normal I'm ok with it I guess. Besides this I am very pleased with the engine performance for the gas mileage it gets.
Thanks for the input.
D

Old 05-22-2017, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
do you have the econ green button on? Could be the AC recycling. If you have the AC on, turn it off and see if it still idle a little rough. I hope they find the annoying problem. Like the others said, it should idle smoothly under all conditions.

Last edited by wasserball; 05-23-2017 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:21 AM
5 Year Member
This sounds like a power brake vacuum booster leak. The power brakes are driven by engine vacuum and should only use engine vacuum to recharge it, when you leave off of the brakes.

That is my best guess without actually seeing the vehicle.

If it is under warranty, take it in and let Honda worry about it.