Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Car battery related question (dead battery) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/95848-car-battery-related-question-dead-battery.html)

ritholtz 05-12-2017 06:06 PM

Car battery related question (dead battery)

Hi,
I am getting battery indicator and some beeps for last 2 months. I am thinking about battery in the key fab. Now car won't start. It is completely dead. It doesn't work even with other key fab. Does it mean my car battery is dead completely. Is it possible to user jump starter and take it to Honda shop.

Thanks

Fuelish 05-12-2017 06:17 PM

More info ??? I'd start with key fob batteries and go from there,,,,dunno, I have a bare bones LX

ritholtz 05-12-2017 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Fuelish (Post 1371340)
More info ??? I'd start with key fob batteries and go from there,,,,dunno, I have a bare bones LX

Thanks Fuelish. For past couple of months as soon as I start the car, I keep hearing battery warning and symbol for few seconds. I thought it is for key fab battery charge. I was out of station for last 5 days. Today, I am not able to start Car. It doesn't even response for door open button on key fab. I tried with unused key fab. I can see light coming on key fab. But no response from car. I can use the key to open the door. Is there any key hole to put in the key and start ignition?

Thanks

DrewE 05-12-2017 06:30 PM

The battery light on the dashboard refers to the car's electrical system, not the key fob. Likely you would be able to jump start your car.

If you take only short trips and/or leave the car sitting unused for relatively long periods of time, the battery may well not be getting fully charged from driving. Using a battery tender while parked would help alleviate that problem. Taking an occasional longer trip, a half hour to an hour, would also help.

ritholtz 05-12-2017 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by DrewE (Post 1371343)
The battery light on the dashboard refers to the car's electrical system, not the key fob. Likely you would be able to jump start your car.

If you take only short trips and/or leave the car sitting unused for relatively long periods of time, the battery may well not be getting fully charged from driving. Using a battery tender while parked would help alleviate that problem. Taking an occasional longer trip, a half hour to an hour, would also help.

Thanks DrewE. I will try jump starting tomorrow morning and take it to Honda shop. I bought it on Jan 2015. I am assuming, it is still under warranty for battery replacement.

Thanks

Splat 05-12-2017 09:18 PM

Honda has a ten-year warranty on batteries, but it starts pro-rating at 24 months. My original battery died at 22 months, and thankfully was 100% covered under warranty. This is on a daily driver with LED interior bulbs and no extra power draws.

I bet you've got a bad battery as well, but a warranty replacement will cost you 10-20%.

ritholtz 05-13-2017 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Splat (Post 1371358)
Honda has a ten-year warranty on batteries, but it starts pro-rating at 24 months. My original battery died at 22 months, and thankfully was 100% covered under warranty. This is on a daily driver with LED interior bulbs and no extra power draws.

I bet you've got a bad battery as well, but a warranty replacement will cost you 10-20%.

Thanks for the information. I was not able to jump start with Accord. But towing guy was able to jump start with his truck. Honda replaced battery for free. They reported it as bad cell. I am still getting same low battery warning on console for key and warning sound at the beginning. I need to fix my key fab battery as well.
Thanks

John Dahlmeier 05-14-2017 08:08 AM

I looked through the manual the other day regarding that. The battery that comes with the car is under warranty for the 3 years/36k miles and a replacement would be covered by the longer one.

╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮ 12-02-2018 02:20 AM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fit...5a32cc9627.jpg

Tray cut for 51r, assuming you have the small tray (mexican quality CVT.) leaving the little bit of the side intact on the inside small part helps hold the battery further away from the heat sink, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if you cut it flush with the end.
.The downside is if the battery leaks it can get on your frame, I'd like to have the proper 51r tray but I'm not going to order one, I'm too cheap.

My original 2015 battery died about two weeks ago.

kenchan 12-02-2018 12:02 PM

if you're worried about leaking, u can place the battery in a thick plastic liner (tape it to the side of the battery) and place it on the tray, no? not like that little tray's going to hold much fluid anyway especially in a moving car..?