3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2018 Fit "Launching" next month...Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 12:37 AM
2018 Fit "Launching" next month...Questions.

Greetings, everyone.

So I was 100% set on buying a 2017 LX CVT this week, but then I saw that the 2018 model will be hitting sales floors in July (https://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the...ts/2100004287/).

I was shocked to hear this because I had initially read that the 2018 model would be released in Japan in the summer, but wouldn't hit the US until November/December, which I understand was roughly the timeframe for the 2017 model rollout last year.

I sold my car 2 weeks ago and need to get a car soon, but I work from home so it's not life-or-death urgent. I feel like I should at least wait a few weeks to get the full list of specs/prices on the 2018 model before deciding what to do.

But this raises a couple of questions:

1) If I decided to buy the 2018 model: From a practical standpoint, would one actually be able to buy a new car model in the first month it is launched? Or do they only trickle in slowly as the dealers clear out last year's inventory? I'd be willing to wait another month or so but 5-6 months is out of the question.

2) If I stuck with the 2017: At what point would I be able to use the arrival of the 2018 as "leverage" to get a lower price on the 2017? As soon as they hit the showroom floor, or does this only work later in the year when they only have a few 2017s left?

I appreciate any input. Whether I end up with a 17 or an 18, looking forward to joining the Fit family!

Old 06-28-2017, 07:27 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, if u lived in LA or west coast you might be able to get one pretty soon.

you will definitely be able to get a better deal on the 17's but note 18's apparently come with carplay/android auto if that matters to you. i definitely enjoy having carplay.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:31 PM
I'm on the east coast (Florida). As it happens I now have a follow-up on this:

I contacted multiple dealers and had them bid for my business in order to get the best price on the 2017 Fit. I did let them know that I'm aware of the imminent arrival of the 2018, in order to strengthen my position. I currently have a low offer of approximately $17,500 "out-the-door", including all taxes and fees. This is for the LX CVT base model, with no accessories. From the research I've done this seems to be a pretty good deal.

Would you say that this deal is so good that it's worth foregoing the 2018 upgrades that are just around the corner? Yes, obviously I know it's ultimately up to me, but I'm trying to gauge how good a deal this actually is (or isn't), from people who've bought a Fit.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:40 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
honestly unless you WANT carplay, i'd just get the 2017 at the bargain price. my wife's had the 16 for 2yrs now and she is very happy with the car for what it is. with proclip and her mobile phone, she can nav perfectly fine without carplay.

i just happen to be a iphone kinda guy and like having the latest tech in my modern cars.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:42 PM
Ok but I'm also just confirming, how much of bargain is $17,500 out-the-door for the base model 2017 LX CVT (no accessories)?

Old 06-29-2017, 02:46 PM
I would say yes, it's a good deal. It's $1000 less than the OTD price for my 2016 LX. So from my perspective the price for the 2017 is a good deal.

But I would wait for the 2018 to arrive (next month) so you can look at both cars and make a decision then - unless the dealer with the low 2017 offer has some kind of time limit on that price. Maybe you could get a 2018 for only a few hundred bucks more. They start at around $16k. I would wait, but that's just me.

And welcome to the forum... future Fit owner.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
How much leverage a dealership ever let's you have is debatable.
They are always going to tell you, you're getting a great deal.

I bought my 2016 literally weeks before the arrival of the 2017's.
I didn't think the deal was bad, but neither was it great. Similarly equipped 2017's are going for about the same as I paid for my 2016.

If I had been wiser, I probably should of just waited and got a 2017, if only because on paper and for depreciation purposes, it would of read as being a year newer.

I think if you let it be known, that YOU know the next model year is coming shortly, you should be able to use that knowledge as leverage. However, you'll probably get some song and dance about how great the deal is you're getting in any case.

The best preparation, is just to be aware of exactly what you want, what you are getting, and the average price they are selling for in your area. Then negotiate a fair deal.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:15 PM
From what I read from press. The 2018 is not just cosmetic. It improves on handling and road quality. This would be a big selling point to wait for 2018 model.

"Taking Fit's top-of-segment premium driving feel one-step further, ride comfort and handling characteristics have been improved for 2018 thanks to retuned suspension dampers, a more rigid steering system and additional body reinforcements. In addition to comfort and dynamic improvements, Fit offers a quieter cabin rivaling the best in its class, with adjustments made to transmission and steering system mounting hardware, combined with the addition of acoustic glass windshield and improved insulation throughout the vehicle.

The Fit's rigid body structure is paired with a sophisticated chassis to deliver sporty handling with a steering linearity that gives the driver a sense of oneness with the vehicle unmatched in the subcompact segment."

Old 06-29-2017, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by liukaitc
From what I read from press. The 2018 is not just cosmetic. It improves on handling and road quality. This would be a big selling point to wait for 2018 model.

"Taking Fit's top-of-segment premium driving feel one-step further, ride comfort and handling characteristics have been improved for 2018 thanks to retuned suspension dampers, a more rigid steering system and additional body reinforcements. In addition to comfort and dynamic improvements, Fit offers a quieter cabin rivaling the best in its class, with adjustments made to transmission and steering system mounting hardware, combined with the addition of acoustic glass windshield and improved insulation throughout the vehicle.

The Fit's rigid body structure is paired with a sophisticated chassis to deliver sporty handling with a steering linearity that gives the driver a sense of oneness with the vehicle unmatched in the subcompact segment."
Would you be so kind as to provide a link to the source? I'm not reading this elsewhere.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by exl500
Would you be so kind as to provide a link to the source? I'm not reading this elsewhere.
2018 Honda Fit Gets Fresh: New Styling, New Sport Trim, Added Tech and More Refinement Bring New Attitude - Honda News

Old 06-29-2017, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks! This clears up the confusion I had from reading the mish-mash of other sources. And it didn't come up on Google!
It will be interesting to see what the handling and refinement changes really add up to. Strange the CVT loses 2 hp and 1 lb/ft.
​​​

Last edited by exl500; 06-29-2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by exl500
Thanks! This clears up the confusion I had from reading the mish-mash of other sources. And it didn't come up on Google!
​​​
Well not sure if this article is 100% truth. But looks like legit. Will see.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
Well not sure if this article is 100% truth. But looks like legit. Will see.
Given it's direct from Honda, it seems likely to be definitive.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:29 PM
I'm digging that sport trim especially the front lip. I wonder if that will be available a la carte to put on my '15.

The sound dampening would be a major improvement as it's one of the few gripes I have about the car. Traveling on the interstate can be quite loud.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member

Shoot...I think I want a 2018......

Old 06-30-2017, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
The improvements to the sound insulation are much welcome and shows that they do indeed sometimes listen to customer complaints. I guess that after they spent money on the changes the marketing guys wanted they still had some money left over to do a few of the things the customers wanted.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
Quieter cabin would be good. 15 is noisy as hell inside the car.

Old 07-09-2017, 02:38 PM
It looks like I better wait and get the 2018. It will have just wait I tried to get on the 2017 yesterday. It means we will have a lot more money to put down on it. I'm really happy to see these changes for 2018. I can't wait to get it.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:04 AM
Sport model, still doesn't have heated side mirrors or winkers. Its the same engine, 6MT not offered on the higher trims, cant even custom order it. It still only comes with halogen headlights, no projectors. Sport model doesn't come with optional moonroof or push button start? Fail. All that Honda Sensing nonsense is only available on the CVT? Well thats good, shouldn't be on a 6MT anyway.

Overall, happy with the 2017. 2018 is a bit more flash, and no significant upgrades to the core issues the Fit still has. Im sure those cosemtic tweaks will move some metal, but I think many will still go for an LX rather than the higher trims.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:17 AM
5 Year Member
I wonder what the price point is going to be? LX is 16k and EX is 18k. Is it going to be closer to LX than EX?

Quick Reply: 2018 Fit "Launching" next month...Questions.