3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

New to Fit: Is this car right for me?

Old 07-19-2017, 02:42 PM
Question New to Fit: Is this car right for me?

Right now I am driving around a 2005 Ford Taurus SE. I hate it and it's about to break down and die at any moment. I've never owned a new car before and I've been considering a Fit for a while now. I have my heart set on a new 2018 Honda Fit EX CVT but I have some questions to know if it's really right for me.

I like this car mostly because of its size, I like small cars. I am a very short person, only 5'0, so I feel like I'm driving a tank in a bigger car and it makes me uncomfortable. I also like the gas mileage it gets, way better than my current car.

Things that worry me about this car is that me and my SO like to do sporty things on the weekend like ride our bikes. Can this car support 2 bicycles without bringing down the gas mileage too much? Also, we don't own a Kayak yet but in the future we've been wanting to purchase a tandem Kayak. Is this car too small to tow something like this or have on the roof? Keep in mind this would only be a weekend thing. For the rest of the week it would be for work and personal use.

I also worry about the A/C. We live in South Florida and I hear the A/C in these things is really weak. We haven't test driven one yet so I can't confirm this. I worry that if it's true and we have to have the A/C on full blast all the time that we won't get good gas mileage.

Speaking of Florida and heat, I'm really considering this car in Modern Steel Metallic. Am I going to regret it big time? I really do not want a white car.

Another concern of mine is every day I go to work I have to go up a steep bridge, is this car powerful enough to go up a bridge at 45 MPH?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions. I really hope this car can work out for us. I really like this car.

Last edited by Pumpkintacos; 07-19-2017 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-19-2017, 07:29 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i can't speak on the bicycles but the car was designed for shorter people. taller folks can fit, but the pedals are close so more intended for shorter folks.

as for heat.. yah, the a/c is kinda limited. i suggest you get some window tint done (35% front, 20% rears) as that will greatly reduce heat inside the car.

Fit can handle a fairly steep grade no problem unless you weight like a _____ (others can fill in)

Old 07-19-2017, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
as for heat.. yah, the a/c is kinda limited. i suggest you get some window tint done (35% front, 20% rears) as that will greatly reduce heat inside the car.
Good idea! Any idea how much this kind of thing costs?

Old 07-19-2017, 08:24 PM
1. Yes. The a/c is weak. Most small engine have weak a/c.
2. Bikes on the inside. You probably wont notice mpg drop maybe 1. My brother is 350lb and I only see 4 mpg drop.
3. All new cars should be able to clear city roads. It is label a safety hazardous if the car stop in the middle of a hill.
4. Dont know anything about the boat.

​​​​

Old 07-19-2017, 09:19 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Pumpkintacos
Good idea! Any idea how much this kind of thing costs?
depends on the tint you have the installer use and labor. ive seen anywhere from 150 to 500 (llumar) for all windows less windshield.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:17 PM
Thumbs up Yes.

Can this car support 2 bicycles without bringing down the gas mileage too much?
You can fit two bicycles inside the Fit no problem, unless they are much larger than an average bike. I doubt you will notice much of a hit to the mileage.

I think you will really enjoy the Fit, if you choose to buy it.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:29 AM
5 Year Member
We have a black '15, 35% tint sides and rear, with a slightly oversized 20% strip across top of windshield. AC is not the most powerful, but we live in east TN and vacation along the Alabama gulf coast. If you take a few minutes to vent/purge the (hotter) interior before driving off, I'd call it "adequate "... can only speak for a 6 spd manual, but the Fit is fully capable on hills. Can't comment on a kayak carry method, but I can carefully fit 2 mtb's, with padding, and front wheels off, in the rear with back seats down. The Fit is a great lil car for what it is, but we can't decide for ya

Old 07-20-2017, 07:06 AM
I see a couple people mentioning to put the bikes inside. Do I really have to? I'd rather not. I'm going to have so many other things in the car that the bikes won't fit.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:31 AM
5 Year Member
If you want to haul bikes, you'll either need a hitch with a bike carrier or a roof rack w/ mounts to carry bikes. Since you say you're not very tall, then the roof rack may not be a good option if you go by yourself. With SO it may not be an issue. As far as carrying a tandem kayak, you'd definitely need a roof rack. Be careful as there are many reports of thin roof sheet metal and that's it's easily dented. What's a tandem kayak weigh and you'll have to see what the roof rack is rated for. You're also concerned with MPG so a roof rack, even with nothing on it will reduce your MPG.

The AC is adequate but it may take a little while for it to cool the cabin if it's been sitting in the sun all day. I wouldn't say it's not any worse than other cars. When you test drive, as the salesmen to bring you to the car without starting it first. That way you can get an idea of how long it takes to cool down on a sunny day. My advice is to park in the shade if possible, tint your windows, get a sunvisor for the windshield as well as window visors so you can crack your windows without worrying about the passing thunderstorm. When you first run the AC, have it in recirculate till things cool down a bit, then switch to fresh air. Also ECON mode dampens the AC, so initially have that turned off. The AC does reduce MPG, but maybe by 1-2 MPG in my experience.

For color, I say buy the color you want. It's a big investment, you don't want to be unhappy with it from the very beginning.

I have to laugh because I've visited Miami and there aren't many steep inclines from what I'm used to. I'm in VA and I've driven in the mountains of VA and the Fit is adequate. Obviously don't be in ECON mode as it will dampen the acceleration.

My Fit is a great commuter car and that's what I bought it for. It's important to make sure it fits your expectations as you don't want to pay all that money and be unhappy with it.

Last thing - My wife is 5' as well and she doesn't mind driving the Fit. It does take her a little while to get used to it versus driving the 4Runner.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
If you want to haul bikes, you'll either need a hitch with a bike carrier or a roof rack w/ mounts to carry bikes. Since you say you're not very tall, then the roof rack may not be a good option if you go by yourself. With SO it may not be an issue. As far as carrying a tandem kayak, you'd definitely need a roof rack. Be careful as there are many reports of thin roof sheet metal and that's it's easily dented. What's a tandem kayak weigh and you'll have to see what the roof rack is rated for. You're also concerned with MPG so a roof rack, even with nothing on it will reduce your MPG.

The AC is adequate but it may take a little while for it to cool the cabin if it's been sitting in the sun all day. I wouldn't say it's not any worse than other cars. When you test drive, as the salesmen to bring you to the car without starting it first. That way you can get an idea of how long it takes to cool down on a sunny day. My advice is to park in the shade if possible, tint your windows, get a sunvisor for the windshield as well as window visors so you can crack your windows without worrying about the passing thunderstorm. When you first run the AC, have it in recirculate till things cool down a bit, then switch to fresh air. Also ECON mode dampens the AC, so initially have that turned off. The AC does reduce MPG, but maybe by 1-2 MPG in my experience.

For color, I say buy the color you want. It's a big investment, you don't want to be unhappy with it from the very beginning.

I have to laugh because I've visited Miami and there aren't many steep inclines from what I'm used to. I'm in VA and I've driven in the mountains of VA and the Fit is adequate. Obviously don't be in ECON mode as it will dampen the acceleration.

My Fit is a great commuter car and that's what I bought it for. It's important to make sure it fits your expectations as you don't want to pay all that money and be unhappy with it.

Last thing - My wife is 5' as well and she doesn't mind driving the Fit. It does take her a little while to get used to it versus driving the 4Runner.
Thanks for the info! I'd like to know why people are saying use a hitch for bikes instead of a bike rack.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
Here's a thread you may find useful: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...bike-rack.html

Old 07-20-2017, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Here's a thread you may find useful: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...bike-rack.html

Actually kind of confused me. Nobody saying why I can't use a bike rack on the back of the car. If I need a trailer or a roof thing just to transport bikes I don't think I want this car. I just want a normal bike rack.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
Actually kind of confused me. Nobody saying why I can't use a bike rack on the back of the car. If I need a trailer or a roof thing just to transport bikes I don't think I want this car. I just want a normal bike rack.
The spoiler at the top of the rear hatch makes a normal bike rack with straps a bit of a problem. The straps would have to go over the top of it which would mean the plastic spoiler would be bearing the weight of the rack and bikes.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by futhamucka
The spoiler at the top of the rear hatch makes a normal bike rack with straps a bit of a problem. The straps would have to go over the top of it which would mean the plastic spoiler would be bearing the weight of the rack and bikes.
Is there a work around for this?

Old 07-20-2017, 11:20 AM
5 Year Member
Remove the spoiler thing? I'd go with a hitch before a roof rack or "traditional" rack if I were inclined to carry bike(s) on the outside of the car

Old 07-20-2017, 11:38 AM
sjd
5 Year Member
Is there a work around for this?
Buy a different car?

Originally Posted by Fuelish
I'd go with a hitch before a roof rack or "traditional" rack if I were inclined to carry bike(s) on the outside of the car
Yup. My first preference will be to haul bikes inside but for when I can't, I'm looking at the Thule roof rack.

I had one of those trunk mounted bike racks on my old Civic and the only advantage to them is that they are cheap. The bikes moved around way too much for me and I was worried about the rack itself moving as it didn't feel that secure and I was constantly re-tightening the straps. I hated it.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:08 PM
Omg sorry you guys, I thought a hitch was like a trailer or something and I didn't want that.

So bike hitches work? I'd like that.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm..
What I'm hearing is, like myself, you like small cars.
The possible conflict comes with you also have some larger vehicle hauling desires.

I'd say this.
I feel for a subcompact, with The Fits "Magic Seats" and low flat load floor, you probably aren't going to find a sub-compact that can be as versatile for hauling as The Fit.

That being said, it's not REALLY magic.
I've seen threads, people do haul kayaks, they do add bike hitches and racks. It does happen.

I would suggest just looking for those threads.
The concern in nearly all cases is that the roof metal is evidently thin.

At some point there is a trade off. Small, fun to drive, economical, but NOT large, and easily capable of strapping Kayaks to the roof. Even though it does happen.

I agree with the idea that if hauling bicycles that can't be made to simply fit in the back? I'd go with a hitch and rack as opposed to a roof set up.

My further feeling is adaptation can probably be made or created to accommodate your potential hauling needs.

Maybe the highest tangible hurdle could be the Air Conditioning. I have read multiple posts where people proclaim it's natural weakness.
I live in a moderate climate. A few perhaps weeks of relatively hot weather but never too bad.
So for my needs the Air Conditioning is acceptable. Good even. But I'm not living in Florida.
You have to be polite, and careful...but my advice?
I'd try to ask Honda Fit owners in your direct area.
Often before I buy a vehicle if I see one in a parking lot, and the owner is returning I'll politely ask them if they like their vehicle, what their experience with it has been.

Most people are happy to talk about their vehicle either in the positive or negative. So hopefully you could get some real Miami Florida feedback as to how some Fit Owners feel about their air conditioning.

But besides that?
If you like small cars?
I think The Fit is one of the best you can buy.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by fitchet
Hmm..
What I'm hearing is, like myself, you like small cars.
The possible conflict comes with you also have some larger vehicle hauling desires.

I'd say this.
I feel for a subcompact, with The Fits "Magic Seats" and low flat load floor, you probably aren't going to find a sub-compact that can be as versatile for hauling as The Fit.

That being said, it's not REALLY magic.
I've seen threads, people do haul kayaks, they do add bike hitches and racks. It does happen.

I would suggest just looking for those threads.
The concern in nearly all cases is that the roof metal is evidently thin.

At some point there is a trade off. Small, fun to drive, economical, but NOT large, and easily capable of strapping Kayaks to the roof. Even though it does happen.

I agree with the idea that if hauling bicycles that can't be made to simply fit in the back? I'd go with a hitch and rack as opposed to a roof set up.

My further feeling is adaptation can probably be made or created to accommodate your potential hauling needs.

Maybe the highest tangible hurdle could be the Air Conditioning. I have read multiple posts where people proclaim it's natural weakness.
I live in a moderate climate. A few perhaps weeks of relatively hot weather but never too bad.
So for my needs the Air Conditioning is acceptable. Good even. But I'm not living in Florida.
You have to be polite, and careful...but my advice?
I'd try to ask Honda Fit owners in your direct area.
Often before I buy a vehicle if I see one in a parking lot, and the owner is returning I'll politely ask them if they like their vehicle, what their experience with it has been.

Most people are happy to talk about their vehicle either in the positive or negative. So hopefully you could get some real Miami Florida feedback as to how some Fit Owners feel about their air conditioning.

But besides that?
If you like small cars?
I think The Fit is one of the best you can buy.
If I did haul anything, it would just be on weekends. Bikes are an absolute must. I think a hitch would be the way to go. It would be far too annoying to remove the front wheels and cram everything into the back of the car when we're probably going to be having other things back there taking up space.

I still need to test drive one myself to see if the A/C is acceptable. I get cold really fast so I don't normally have the A/C in my current car blasting at all, even in summer. Only time I blast my A/C is when it's been sitting in the sun for a while and I'm just entering it.

I really do like this car and I hope it works out for me. I don't really have a 2nd choice at the moment, although it would be wise. Honestly, anything is better than the current car I have now. The Fit might seem "low end" to most people, but to me it's FANCY. I've never had a modern car with so many cool features. I had a 2001 Toyota Tacoma with rolly windows until 2 years ago and wrecked it, and now my current car is a 2005 Ford Taurus....I hate it so much. I'm ready for a new car.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:03 AM
I don't really have a 2nd choice at the moment, although it would be wise.
There really isn't anything else very much like it, so a second choice would be a somewhat different sort of car.

I've looked at the Chevrolet Spark; it's smaller and cheaper, and has a nicer driving position for tall drivers, but offers less utility.

The Kia Niro gets better mileage, but is larger and more expensive.

The VW Golf is a much nicer car and the transaction prices can be the same or even lower than those for a Fit and they may have the worst of the carbon build up issues licked, but it's larger and takes some faith that VW's turbo will last.

Can you stand driving a sedan? (I can't) A VW Jetta with the 1.4turbo get better mileage than a Fit, is a nicer drive, and has eastern seaboard prices well under $15,000.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to Fit: Is this car right for me?