3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 3rd generation GK Honda Fit

Camping in my Fit. Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 01:19 PM
Camping in my Fit. Need advice.

Hello,

I have a 2015 Honda Fit. Planning on putting in air mattress in the back, does anyone have any recommendations for one that will fit pretty well? Planning on doing an overnight at a campground and there are no cabins available. Let me know if anyone out there is camping in their Fit and what works for you!

Old 09-03-2017, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+cars&_sacat=0

Unless you are a 5 ft or less, it is very uncomfortable even with air mattress(es). I had a difficult time trying to roll around when I was sleeping. Next time, I would try using carpet pads instead as it does not squish around. I removed the back seats. By doing that it gave me more option how I can turn the area behind the front seats for sleeping. Also those huge air mattresses take up too much space when I traveling around the country.

Old 09-03-2017, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
Front seats all the way forward, Thermarest matresses roll up tight when not in use and doubled up is pretty comfortable. I added a lightweight 1" foam layer (house siding material at home depot) to the back to match the height of the rear seats folded.

My longer legs have to go through and over the armrest, but otherwise 2 of us did just fine in the back of ours. Crack the windows with mosquito netting to keep from fogging and for rain, I made up some shields out of plastic that wedge into the window tops to keep water out.

Old 09-03-2017, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
I used a traditional Japanese futon (basically a folding mattress) but it's not perfect unless you're like my short wife, who wouldn't sleep with me in an enclosed environment anyway, citing flatulence concerns.

Something like this really works quite well, both in a tent and in the fit.
Amazon Amazon

The best way is to just have a two-man tent and set it up alongside the car.

Air mattresses are okay in a pinch, but certainly not as good as a real futon.

I also use the engine auto stop function (where it cuts off at a stop to conserve on fuel) in conjunction with the automatic climate control. It will start the engine when the cabin gets too hot and humid, then cut off again when it's back to the set temperature. It uses so little fuel that this is an option for car camping.

Last edited by Belch; 09-03-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:37 AM
5 Year Member
I am curious as to how you will do. After your trip please let us know how comfortable you were.

You could look for a thick foam pad and cut out an area for the center console. You might get a better fit and a larger area. With the rear seats down and the front seats far forward there might be a gap between the front seats and the folded down rear seats. You might need some support there, such as a built-up wooden shelf.

Old 09-04-2017, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
I am curious as to how you will do. After your trip please let us know how comfortable you were.

You could look for a thick foam pad and cut out an area for the center console. You might get a better fit and a larger area. With the rear seats down and the front seats far forward there might be a gap between the front seats and the folded down rear seats. You might need some support there, such as a built-up wooden shelf.
This was my concern. When you move the passenger seat forward there is a "hole". If you were to fill that hole it would work.

I slept in mine by moving the passenger seat forward. The "hole" and the uneven surfaces were a problem. I think if you cut a piece of plywood to lay on and give you a flat surface it would work fine. In fact, that is what I plan to do next time.
I must say, it was handy to not have to mess with a tent. I get off work at midnight. During hunting season I drive out to the campground and sleep in the car. It's nice to just crawl in the back and go to sleep, then get up and do whatever without having to break camp.
A simple plywood surface should solve the problem unless you are very tall.

Old 09-04-2017, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
There are some videos on youtube where people have adapted Fit's and other similar small sub-compact hatches for camping.

I've concluded that if I go camping with my Fit, I'm just using a tent as a separate entity. Just not enough room for me. But some have made some very clever adaptations, I think a lot of the success or failure really might have a lot to do with how tall you are.

For me? I think I'd be happy that The Fit can carry all my gear FOR camping, but I think I'd make my sleeping space simply a tent outside of the vehicle.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
One night I slept in the Fit I dreamed I was an astronaut and I woke up with claustrophobia.
Originally Posted by fitchet
There are some videos on youtube where people have adapted Fit's and other similar small sub-compact hatches for camping.

I've concluded that if I go camping with my Fit, I'm just using a tent as a separate entity. Just not enough room for me. But some have made some very clever adaptations, I think a lot of the success or failure really might have a lot to do with how tall you are.

For me? I think I'd be happy that The Fit can carry all my gear FOR camping, but I think I'd make my sleeping space simply a tent outside of the vehicle.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
You could remove the back seats (4 bolts) give you more options in creating a flat spot for sleeping. You have to remove a piece of felt to get the seats out or cut the felt with a pair of scissors, which I did. You don't see the cuts because those two flaps from the spare tire cover hides the felt.

Last edited by wasserball; 09-05-2017 at 06:01 AM.
Old 05-05-2020, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member
My latest camping ideas.

Old 05-05-2020, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member
Here's how I addressed the issue. The plywood lets me lie down flat. I never planned on camping in my Fit. For camping I'll set up a tent. I just want a place to crash for the night while traveling. The plywood covers the hole you get when you scooch the passenger seat all the way forward. It gives me just enough room to stretch out my 5'8" frame.

Last edited by max503; 05-05-2020 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by max503
Here's how I addressed the issue. The plywood lets me lie down flat. I never planned on camping in my Fit. For camping I'll set up a tent. I just want a place to crash for the night while traveling. The plywood covers the hole you get when you scooch the passenger seat all the way forward. It gives me just enough room to stretch out my 5'8" frame.
I agree. I don't intend to slumber more than a night when I'm on a overnight road trip to take picture of the night sky. It's more convenient to sleep in the car than to drive a hundred miles to a hotel/motel. It also gives me that peaceful feeling of being away from the everyday rat race.

Last edited by wasserball; 05-05-2020 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
I've even got a 2x4 frame to put under the plywood. It gives me even more length, but if I use it the passenger seat has to stay pushed all the way forward. That, and I takes up room. I could post a pic of it if anyone is interested.

Old 05-07-2020, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
I have camp a lot of times with girls in my car. pretty conformable for two people.
Put your front seats all the way to the front. Then slide then down. Put the back seats down. Remove the headrest and insert them the other way around. This will make it larger. And for a padding I use a sleeping bag. It is for really cold camping. It was bought like 30 years ago so it is so tick like 1 inch so no need to get a mattress. Latter I will post pic if you want.

Old 05-09-2020, 09:20 AM
5 Year Member
I want to clarify my position in turning the Fit into a campmobile. It is not my intention to use it as a camper, but sleeping for a night or two in a remote area. A bed like set up is better than trying to sleep in the driver or passenger seat, even in the reclined position.

Old 05-09-2020, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
That's exactly how I feel about it. Camping is closed because of the quarantine. But I went fishing the other night, and I was able to crawl into the Fit for about four hours of sleep. It works well for what it is.
I don't see how you could "camp" in a Fit. Where would you put all your stuff?

Old 06-03-2020, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by max503
That's exactly how I feel about it. Camping is closed because of the quarantine. But I went fishing the other night, and I was able to crawl into the Fit for about four hours of sleep. It works well for what it is.
I don't see how you could "camp" in a Fit. Where would you put all your stuff?
I spent 2/3 nights sleeping at rest stops from Houston to KSC via US-10, 2,200 mies RT to watch the SpaceX Crew Dragon launch. I'm getting used to preparing all the essentials before bed time. I didn't try to be too fancy. I did what I need to do to get a good night sleep. I was 13 miles from LC39A using a 400mm lens. The Fit got over 43 mpg overall. I always top off the tank to get an accurate mpg calculation.

Last edited by wasserball; 06-03-2020 at 06:17 PM.