3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Changing my own Spark Plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 09:20 AM
5 Year Member
Changing my own Spark Plugs?

We have almost 60,000 miles on one Fit, and it hasn't asked for new spark plugs yet. Have any of you been told by the car to replace the plugs? Anything unusual about replacing them?

Old 07-05-2017, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
I don't know about the current models on the road but I was reading the specs on the upcoming 2018 model and they state: "No scheduled tune-ups required for 100,000 +/- miles". That would mean no spark plug changes for 100K miles.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by woof
I don't know about the current models on the road but I was reading the specs on the upcoming 2018 model and they state: "No scheduled tune-ups required for 100,000 +/- miles". That would mean no spark plug changes for 100K miles.
100,000 miles seems to be "the norm" with modern quality plugs these days.....although certainly no harm in replacing them sooner. I'm about halfway there.....have read that you have to remove the windshield wiper cowling to access the plugs - haven't really thought enough about it to check, but, sounds like a PITA for what used to be a simple procedure....

Old 07-05-2017, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by woof
With the car deciding when maintenance is required, maybe that's how they get away with saying there's nothing "scheduled."

Old 07-06-2017, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
We have almost 60,000 miles on one Fit, and it hasn't asked for new spark plugs yet. Have any of you been told by the car to replace the plugs? Anything unusual about replacing them?
These plugs are the laser iridium stuff from NGK also known as 100k miles plugs. I am at 60k miles now; everything runs smoothly.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
With the car deciding when maintenance is required, maybe that's how they get away with saying there's nothing "scheduled."
The cynicism is strong in this post.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CommanderSlug
These plugs are the laser iridium stuff from NGK also known as 100k miles plugs. I am at 60k miles now; everything runs smoothly.
Yes, and those are the replacements I bought. My son will need them in about eighteen months. Me? Maybe never. : )

Old 10-27-2017, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
Talking Changing my own Spark Plugs?

2015 EX-CVT with 34,400 miles
I might need to buy a few tools and of course the spark plugs, but would one be in over their head if they attempted to change their own spark plugs? I just don't want to pay the dealer over $500 to replace them. Be honest! Is this a hard job? Am I being realistic or stupid?

Last edited by QuirkyBarb; 10-27-2017 at 02:26 PM. Reason: added details
Old 10-27-2017, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member
$500 for plugs? I bet that's a boat payment or two for the dealer.

Your plugs aren't due for replacement until 100K, so it's a bit premature to replace them now. If your dealer is recommending replacement now, that's outrageous. I'd politely decline the service and never go back there unless absolutely necessary, say a recall fix and no other dealer within 1000 miles.

And yes, of course you can do it yourself. Haven't done it on my '16 LX yet, but if the procedure is anything like it was on my 1st gen Fit, you'll need a spark plug socket (I like the magnetic ones) on a long extension and a 10mm hex wrench to remove the coilpack bolts from the engine block.

Old 10-27-2017, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
For the GE, you have to remove the cowl as well. I have done my buddies. Tripled the time necessary, but still not hard. Guessing the GK also requires cowl removal?

I think 60k is a more reasonable spark plug change interval. Might as well do them when inspecting the valves.

Old 10-27-2017, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
For the GE, you have to remove the cowl as well. I have done my buddies. Tripled the time necessary, but still not hard. Guessing the GK also requires cowl removal?
IIRC, yeah, ya gotta remove the cowl on GKs as well....iirc ....can't state as fact, but I seem to recall reading it, and it sure looks that way, dammit

Old 10-27-2017, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member

I think 60k is a more reasonable spark plug change interval. Might as well do them when inspecting the valves.
The GK is a DOHC engine and the plugs are on top of the engine, between the cams. No cowl removal needed.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:25 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
wow, 34k and already needing new plugs? huh..

Old 10-28-2017, 05:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
The GK is a DOHC engine and the plugs are on top of the engine, between the cams. No cowl removal needed.
Agreed, the could are visible right on top and behind the plastic intake manifold.

I haven't done then yet but should be easy enough.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up You saved me money!

Originally Posted by bargainguy
$500 for plugs? I bet that's a boat payment or two for the dealer.
Your plugs aren't due for replacement until 100K, so it's a bit premature to replace them now. If your dealer is recommending replacement now, that's outrageous. I'd politely decline the service and never go back there unless absolutely necessary, say a recall fix and no other dealer within 1000 miles.
That's interesting! The reason I asked about the plugs is because when I was going to set up service for the 35,000 PM, it recommends replacing the plugs. I'd say I'm going to wait a long big longer before bothering this business! Thank you all for your feedback!

Old 10-28-2017, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Agreed, the could are visible right on top and behind the plastic intake manifold.

I haven't done then yet but should be easy enough.
Dunno, I guess if you have the right length extension for a ratchet, it's doable without removal of the cowl....looks like a PITA, either way, on cursory examination....but I'm funny that way ....I'm funny in many ways, actually ....just not humorous

Old 10-29-2017, 09:47 AM
5 Year Member
Just do two things: 1) After breaking the old ones loose but before you unscrew them gently blow out any crud around the base of the plug with an air hose. 2) Start the new plugs with finger pressure only making sure you don't cross-thread the plugs.
If the plugs are recessed, cut a short length of straight rubber tubing and insert the new plug in that then use the rubber tubing as your "wrench". It will keep you from over-torqueing if you happen to cross-thread the new plug.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:39 PM
Seeing as how it's been a little over a year: Have you replaced the spark plugs yet? Or anyone reading this that has performed the procedure on a GK willing to share the experience?

My biggest, be it unwarrented, fear is the spark plug seizing to the head.

Old 10-03-2018, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by knope
Seeing as how it's been a little over a year: Have you replaced the spark plugs yet? Or anyone reading this that has performed the procedure on a GK willing to share the experience?

My biggest, be it unwarrented, fear is the spark plug seizing to the head.
Seizing would be a new problem for Fit's! GD and GE's have the opposite problem.

I do agree in general with any car though. The more time and miles that a plug has, the more likely it will be a problem to remove. 60k miles is my go to number, but everyone has their own thing.

Old 10-03-2018, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
Seizing would be a new problem for Fit's! GD and GE's have the opposite problem.

I do agree in general with any car though. The more time and miles that a plug has, the more likely it will be a problem to remove. 60k miles is my go to number, but everyone has their own thing.
You might remember when plugs had to be cleaned and gapped every few thousand miles and replaced at 10,000. Of course changing the points was another fun job. My son's Fit (85K) hasn't said it wants new plugs yet, but I'm going to put them in anyway.

I know the MAF sensor isn't going to cure the Check Engine light, so I'll put in the new plugs, too. The next step will be the coils - easy to replace, but costly to buy. I'm not going to take a chance on non-Honda coils.

Quick Reply: Changing my own Spark Plugs?