3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 3rd generation GK Honda Fit

Floor Liner

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 10:39 AM
5 Year Member
Accidents, Tragedies and deaths have occurred due to poor fitting or improperly fitted floor mats.
Which is why I always recommend "Custom Fit" options.
I think it can be a safety issue.

And I would absolutely NEVER layer floor mats or liners. That's a dangerous and BAD idea.

Old 12-08-2017, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by fitchet
Accidents, Tragedies and deaths have occurred due to poor fitting or improperly fitted floor mats.
Which is why I always recommend "Custom Fit" options.
I think it can be a safety issue.

And I would absolutely NEVER layer floor mats or liners. That's a dangerous and BAD idea.
On that note, anyone with WeatherTechs for their Gen3 (or at least 2017s) may want to trim the top of the liner, under the brake. Twice while teaching emergency braking exercises and once in a real-life emergency braking situation, I have had the liner catch the pedal preventing it from releasing.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
OK I've attached three photos of the Honda optional mats.

One picture shows the raised edge around the side and back towards the driver. That looks good.

The other two pictures show the front of the mat towards the pedals. The dirt on the mats from my feet gives an idea of how much protection the mats provide. Note in particular the lack of coverage for the dead pedal. Crap just slides off it and will get underneath the mat. Coverage under the gas and brake pedals isn't that great either but then I think the manufacturers are all so scared of the mats interfering with the pedals.

Attached Thumbnails Floor Liner-img_0756-800.jpg   Floor Liner-img_0755-800.jpg   Floor Liner-img_0757-800.jpg  
Old 12-08-2017, 06:58 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
thanks for the pict! and the dirt makes it easy to see where the mats have and dont have coverage.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
not really if there is no movement or obstruction to the pedals. some liners fit better with the carpet mats under them. just trial and error it and see how everything fits.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
Those are definitely better than the rubber mats in our GD. I give Honda credit for making improvements. They are maybe 75% coverage vs the 90% from Husky?

Old 12-08-2017, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
not really if there is no movement or obstruction to the pedals. some liners fit better with the carpet mats under them. just trial and error it and see how everything fits.
Yes really.
Just google Automotive Crash and Floor Mats and see how many often tragic accidents are accredited to floor mats being the improper size and/or improperly installed. HINT: LOTS.

And ALL manufacturers recommend you install their mats singularly. They are not designed to be layered...because it can be DANGEROUS.

There's no time for Trial and Error, when you are on the road and your layered mat or liner slips and causes interference with a automotive pedal. At that point...it's too late.

DO NOT LAYER YOUR MATS OR LINERS.- VERY BAD IDEA.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Those are definitely better than the rubber mats in our GD. I give Honda credit for making improvements. They are maybe 75% coverage vs the 90% from Husky?
hummm.. husky seems to be more like 100% coverage, weathertechs are like 90% coverage. well from wat ive been experiencing.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, you could be right. I don't think I have a strand of carpet uncovered by the Husky's in another car. They aren't the best looking, but they are sure good at coverage.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
yah, wish husky could make them better looking!

Old 12-11-2017, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
My son stopped by the other day & we put in his new set of Husky mats. Great fit & coverage. They look OK & are a tool to a job so I'm sure that makes them prettier to my eyes. ;-) With the carpet Honda is using being so cheap I'd guess it will wear out PDQ if not protected.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
congrats on the husky liner. honestly it will get all salted up in no time so all of them will look like crap real quick

come spring, fresh carpeting below. no salt stains.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
10cm/4" of snow tonight. I'm glad we have Husky floor mats. They keep the car much cleaner and have lasted through last winter.

Old 08-07-2020, 03:37 AM
I'd like to resurrect this old thread as I'm looking for all-weather mats for my GK5. Is there a rubber mat which would have these features:
a) Utilize the original fasteners on driver's mat.
b) Cover the dead pedal without interfering with clutch pedal.
c) Cover the middle hump in rear.
d) Cover the area under the rear seat, when Magic Seat bottoms are folded up.
It'd be a big benefit if the mats would be dark grey instead of black, as it would be more forgiving to hide dirt, but it seems all are available in black only.

Old 08-07-2020, 09:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TnTkr
I'd like to resurrect this old thread as I'm looking for all-weather mats for my GK5. Is there a rubber mat which would have these features:
a) Utilize the original fasteners on driver's mat.
b) Cover the dead pedal without interfering with clutch pedal.
c) Cover the middle hump in rear.
d) Cover the area under the rear seat, when Magic Seat bottoms are folded up.
It'd be a big benefit if the mats would be dark grey instead of black, as it would be more forgiving to hide dirt, but it seems all are available in black only.
Husky does most of that. It does cover the dead pedal, unlike the weathertech. The only thing it falls a little short on is under the rear seats. The weathertech has better coverage there, but really how often is it an issue for me? Not often.

Old 08-07-2020, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
I have Huskys and they have protected my carpets remarkably. They don't move over time and they don't spill snow and water. The only issue I have is that the front driver's mat has ridges that run forward to backward. When I try to get out of my car when the mat is wet, my boots have no ridges to grip and therefore slide. If the ridges ran left right instead I would have something to grip. This is but a small quibble for a pretty functional mat.

The front passenger mat also functions very well. I cannot comment on the Husky rear mats because we usually have either both or at one of the rear seats down, few passengers, so the rear mats hardly get used.

Old 08-08-2020, 10:18 AM
Thank you for the answers. I would very much appreciate if any of you having Huskys would send a pic about the rear liner with the rear seat folded up.

Old 08-15-2020, 05:50 AM
I found a picture of 2Rismo2's rear seat Huskyes on another thread. It doesn't cover the floor as well as I would wish. Judging from pictrues Maxliner would reach 3-4" more rear, but it doesn't go so high on dead pedal. Weathertech looks pretty much the same. Aries 3D seems to have best coverage, but I'm not fond of the surface texture. Is there any other options that I should consider?

Last edited by TnTkr; 08-15-2020 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:41 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry didn't realize you had requested pictures of the rest floor mat. You're right though that you don't get full coverage, but honestly I haven't come upon a scenario where I needed it in real life. What are going to be doing that you need full coverage back there?

Old 08-15-2020, 08:18 AM
Most often coverage under the seat is useful when kids are putting their shoes or boots there on longer journeys. And occasionally I fold the magic seat up to carry kids' snowy or muddy outdoor equipment or stuff like concrete that comes from dusty outdoor storage.

Quick Reply: Floor Liner