Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Honda Fit - Poor Headlights according to IIHS

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 09:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hensta
the headlights come aimed too low from the factory. Problem fixed easily with a 10 mm socket wrench...
Aiming the lights higher helped me a lot. One only needs a phillips screwdriver to make the adjustment. You can see the maneuver in this video at 1:00.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:58 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cgs2000
OK, friends, let's all settle down. We're here to discuss cars, not dreams. Our cars are a compromise between what we want and what can be produced within $$$ limits, and marketers often overrule engineers on the product.
Meanwhile let's continue to share advice and experiences to make our car better, safer, more enjoyable. Stay calm!
hey glad to see newcomers like you that are smart. welcome to fit freak.
the one advise i've made numerous times was to aim the factory lamps a tad higher as press fit mentioned above. it does help some but still struggle with it on dark roads, new asphalt, and in the rain especially roads without the outer white lines. can't see the road..!

Old 11-29-2017, 12:49 PM
sjd
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cgs2000
OK, friends, let's all settle down. We're here to discuss cars, not dreams. Our cars are a compromise between what we want and what can be produced within $$$ limits, and marketers often overrule engineers on the product.
Meanwhile let's continue to share advice and experiences to make our car better, safer, more enjoyable. Stay calm!
While I do agree with you, I don’t like it when someone tries to spread misinformation like the Fit isn’t safe or that if you want a safe car you need to spend more money. Headlights aside, the Fit is rated pretty well in crash tests by the IIHS.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator
This is the first year that they are rating headlights for safety. The fact that before that there were really no requirement for manufacturers to provide better lighting hence you get halogens. Maybe now manufacturers would start including projectors as a base option would be nice.

Someone tell me what the hell are automatic hi-beams do on the new Toyotas? Is it the pain in the ass super bright light coming at me at night and as they get closer it automatically turns off. I don't see how these are good...

Old 11-29-2017, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
I believe automatic high beams adjust to traffic, turning off when an oncoming car is detected or when you get too close to a car ahead of you. They're designed to automatically maximize your lighting while not blinding other drivers.

It's actually a fairly crude technology compared to LED adaptive headlights and laser headlights, all illegal in North America. Europe is leading the way with these striking new technologies whereas in North America the regulatory authorities would rather just hide under a rock and ignore it. European car companies complain about the cost of having to pull out the newer technology in their cars and replace it with old technology when they ship their cars to North America.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member
Not laser or LED, but my Lincoln does have adaptive Xenon HID's. They are so much fun here in the mountains. I can actually drive at speed and still see around the next corner.

Tucker figured it out decades ago. Sad it's taken so long to use old technology.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
yep same on my cars. helps tremendously around corners. there is a separate lamp that turns on when i make even a slight left turn. good stuff

i like how the lamps do an initial functional check when lit.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
at this point fixed halogens are old news. hope honda comes out with better lamps on the 19' for future buyers.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:23 PM
sjd
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
at this point fixed halogens are old news. hope honda comes out with better lamps on the 19' for future buyers.
ALL headlights in North America are old news. Your adaptive HID's lag behind Europe and Japan.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
so those bulbs UncleGary bought.. how long do those last? might be a worthy bandaid fix for my GK.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sjd
ALL headlights in North America are old news. Your adaptive HID's lag behind Europe and Japan.
This is true, but I do have to say that even Halogens are coming along to a small degree. Our GD is literally dangerous to drive at night. The lighting is that poor.

I see the new GK headlights and the headlights in our new Golf and they are much, much better. Both still have work to do though.

We all want the same thing. Honda Fit's just have a further way to go than some others in it's class. Look at the ratings for the Toyota Corolla and Subaru Impreza (both inexpensive cars) and both test better.

IMO, Honda is no longer the engineering forward thinking company that it once was. Even my wife (a life long die hard Honda gal) picked a non-Honda for the first time in a couple decades of car shopping.

Edit to add...my adaptive Xenox HID's may be old news, but they are literally several generations ahead of the 2018 Fit despite it being a 2013 model. Is there even a Honda (not Acura) with adaptive HID's?

Last edited by GAFIT; 11-29-2017 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT

IMO, Honda is no longer the engineering forward thinking company that it once was. Even my wife (a life long die hard Honda gal) picked a non-Honda for the first time in a couple decades of car shopping.
agree..the 10yrs of bs really hurt honda for sure. how is the current civic's lamps? are they all still halogens or can a better set be ordered with the car? no idea.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
I just shopped around on Honda and Acura and couldn't find an adaptive headlight option at ANY price.

BTW, I'm not at all hating on Honda owners (I absolutely love the brand), I'm just disappointed in Honda corporate these days and want them to step back up on the pedestal they once owned.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator
Honda has engineered some decent headlights out there. Look at the acuras they have the fancy jewel eyes. Even the old s2000 projector headlights used to be coveted in the retrofitting world. I think just being in North America we get a shittier deal. Honda in North America equates to your bargain affordable long lasting car, while Acura is geared towards "luxury" and gets all the special tech. In Japan, its all Honda. All models can get the same treatment.

Toyota is miles ahead of Honda now though. It's almost like Intel vs. AMD. In the 90s, Intel and AMD was neck-to-neck. Now, AMD can't even keep up anymore. Toyota's designs are out of this world. Even Corollas and Camrys have been given "some" Lexus aesthetic design and treatment. That CHR looks pretty cool.

I'm glad though that Honda is starting to take some risks with the new Civic Type R. It takes some design from the NSX and still a far tangent from what Civics used to look like.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
I just shopped around on Honda and Acura and couldn't find an adaptive headlight option at ANY price.

BTW, I'm not at all hating on Honda owners (I absolutely love the brand), I'm just disappointed in Honda corporate these days and want them to step back up on the pedestal they once owned.
bummer.. thanks for the info.

i think when they stopped making preludes they just lost interest in affordable innovation.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xxryu139xx
Toyota is miles ahead of Honda now though. It's almost like Intel vs. AMD. In the 90s, Intel and AMD was neck-to-neck. Now, AMD can't even keep up anymore. Toyota's designs are out of this world. Even Corollas and Camrys have been given "some" Lexus aesthetic design and treatment. That CHR looks pretty cool.
yah, agree.. but those CHR and corolla iM? matrix? are more show than function from reviews i saw. no i do not have interest in those cars but was bored and was watching some yt reviews some rainy weekend.

no idea how those cars lamps are.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator
This is how you are supposed to do mountains in Japan

Old 11-29-2017, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xxryu139xx

Toyota is miles ahead of Honda now though.
Pains me, but this is true. My family/close friends were Honda in the early '80's. Switched to Toyota in the late '80's/early 90's. Then switched to a combo of Ford and Honda products up to current day. Now we are getting scattered between Honda, Subaru, Toyota, VW, and Ford/Lincoln.

The Subaru's and Toyota's are holding up the best and providing the best experience overall.

I can see me going Subaru someday if they keep working on their interiors. Toyota only if they get more interesting/less boring again.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
im 150% sure the current impreza's interior blows away the 18 fit's interior. check it out. its actually pretty nice.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator
I retrofitted my lights with HID projectors, and I can never turn back. I could barely drive the Taurus rental i got last year from Honda (stupid airbags), I even retrofitted my wifes 2000 Accord.

These guys that retrofit headlights charge $1000+ for parts and labor. Looks oem, just no fancy auto levelling or adaptive lights.

Quick Reply: Honda Fit - Poor Headlights according to IIHS