Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Honda Fit - Poor Headlights according to IIHS

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
Honda Fit - Poor Headlights according to IIHS

Long time

We all know IIHS or I hope everyone knows. IIHS . has been testing headlights performance for more than a year. It has had a lot of variety of results in brands.

Based on the last repot the honda fit has a poor grade

Honda fit headlight report:
2018 Honda Fit

MOre info
New IIHS ratings show most headlights are lacking

HEre is how they tested
Headlight evaluation

Headlight test and rating protocol
https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...RSNRVkxuBejYln

Old 11-22-2017, 07:05 AM
5 Year Member
Doesn't that link show the 2013 headlights are poor?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think my 2015 is that great either. Projectors would be nice, but likely an expensive upgrade. It's my commuter car so I do put a lot of miles so maybe I can justify it...

Old 11-22-2017, 07:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Doesn't that link show the 2013 headlights are poor?
It says 2018 it the first year they check the headlights

Old 11-22-2017, 07:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KikeDiaz
It says 2018 it the first year they check the headlights
Sorry you're right. The graphic is a little misleading where they placed headlights on the left side next to the 2013.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:14 AM
5 Year Member
I recently installed new, brighter bulbs in my '16 LX. Seems to help.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:08 AM
5 Year Member
I'm glad to see formal evaluation happen.
The good thing about these type of evaluations is that often that spurs automakers to make improvements. Nobody likes being on the "poor" list.

The funny thing to me?
I don't find the Fit headlights to be all that bad. They might not be industry leading, or the best I've ever had, but they also certainly aren't the worst. They fall very much to me personally in the acceptable range.

However, I will admit most of my night driving is urban, which means I'm surrounded by light from a lot of sources.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
I'll admit the stock headlamp bulbs were nothing to write home about. I put in some Phillips "ChrystalVision Ultra" bulbs, and now I have no complaints about the headlamps at all. Best $20 I ever spent.

Best of all, they're legal, unlike the HID kits and LED bulbs.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:42 AM
I have a 2018 EX and can confirm that the headlights are inadequate, IMO. I notice myself constantly searching further ahead than the throw of the headlights. They're not dangerously bad, but they are definitely an annoyance that shouldn't be one.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:49 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah when i drove the GK the other night, i thought the headlights were off and running DRL's.. told wife let's get her a nice car next time.

Old 11-22-2017, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
Headlights are lacking compared to what? Compared to the cars I have from the 60's, 70's and 80's the headlights are outstanding. IMO compared to my wife's 2016 SUV and my 2013 WRX they're not any better or worse

Old 11-22-2017, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rob H
Headlights are lacking compared to what? Compared to the cars I have from the 60's, 70's and 80's the headlights are outstanding. IMO compared to my wife's 2016 SUV and my 2013 WRX they're not any better or worse
I figure they must mean “inadequate” compared to the illegal headlamps some people are using around here. The ones that blind all oncoming traffic.

Old 11-22-2017, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
Amazon Amazon

Wondering if they will help alot?

Old 11-22-2017, 10:33 PM
sjd
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
yah when i drove the GK the other night, i thought the headlights were off and running DRL's.. told wife let's get her a nice car next time.
You might want to check your other vehicles because both your GTI and Golf R are rated Poor. The same as the Fit. Your STI gets a Marginal rating provided it has the LED's.

I don't find the Fit's low beams too bad but the high beams aren't great.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sjd
You might want to check your other vehicles because both your GTI and Golf R are rated Poor. The same as the Fit. Your STI gets a Marginal rating provided it has the LED's.

I don't find the Fit's low beams too bad but the high beams aren't great.
hahaha... i dont mean to stomp on ur face, but since u started the misguided conversation, i will note that my GTI and R both run factory bi-xenon HID's with AFS. might want to read up on what that is before making a fool out of yourself cause by experience i know for a fact they are like 10x brighter and have had zero issue with illumination unlike the GK's basic halogens. the highbeams are literally like camera flash bright even in day time.. again like MUCH brighter than the GK's high beams.

lol'ed at halogens.. gotta pay to play. some GTI's do come with halogens if u buy the barebone trim (non-lighting package). i dont know wat those are like. probably poor like the GK's lamps.

Old 11-23-2017, 06:57 AM
5 Year Member
Like Uncle Gary I appreciate the brighter bulbs installed last week.
Thanks Unc!

Old 11-23-2017, 08:10 AM
5 Year Member
any left/right before after comparison pict?

problem ive always encountered in the past with aftermarket bulbs is that they look great for 2-3months, then output drops, and burns out by yr or so. very short life. i ran quality bulbs too in those cars by piaa and other major brands.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:00 AM
sjd
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
hahaha... i dont mean to stomp on ur face, but since u started the misguided conversation, i will note that my GTI and R both run factory bi-xenon HID's with AFS. might want to read up on what that is before making a fool out of yourself cause by experience i know for a fact they are like 10x brighter and have had zero issue with illumination unlike the GK's basic halogens. the highbeams are literally like camera flash bright even in day time.. again like MUCH brighter than the GK's high beams.

lol'ed at halogens.. gotta pay to play. some GTI's do come with halogens if u buy the barebone trim (non-lighting package). i dont know wat those are like. probably poor like the GK's lamps.
Stomp all you want because I know both the GTI and Golf R come with bi-xenon HID's with AFS so that's what I researched on the IIHS site and those are the headlights that they ranked poorly. I've owned cars with HID's in the past (my MX-5 has them currently) so I understand the technology and have also worked in the automotive industry for a decade.

So be careful falling off your high horse.

2017 Volkswagen GTI

As you can see the halogens of the lower trim model GTI also rate poorly. Also, if you're so concerned about how halogens suck maybe you'd consider buying your wife a different car instead of an econo-hatch while you have the expensive cars.

Old 11-23-2017, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
This Insurance report is the first comprehensive study they've done on car headlights and as such is a shot being fired across the car manufacturers - and regulators - bows to get their attention on this issue. Brighter headlights are not by themselves a solution to the problem and in fact may simply create other problems. We are probably heading for computer controlled adaptive LED technology much of which is not legal in the US presently. Changes to cars take time, particularly when it involves new technology, so the reports on headlights will probably be dismal for a long time to come.

Sure, The Fit's headlights are mediocre, but there is some opportunity for some timprovement whenever Honda finally makes the leap to basic LED headlights (whenever) if they do it properly.

Old 11-23-2017, 10:15 AM
5 Year Member
IIHS tests distance of light throw. People note that the headlights come aimed too low from the factory. Problem fixed easily with a 10 mm socket wrench turning the headlight adjustment screw in ( tightening the bolt ) about one complete turn for each light. This aims the light higher while making sure it isn't too high so as to blind oncoming drivers. Takes literally 30 seconds per light.

Old 11-23-2017, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
They seem to even rate some of our better headlights (like the VW's HID's) as Poor.

I'm king of glad. There needs to be an awakening by our DOT. They are so behind the times by not allowing technology that prevails in the rest of the world to be used here.

Quick Reply: Honda Fit - Poor Headlights according to IIHS