Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation GK Specific Fit I.C.E. Sub-Forum (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-gk-specific-fit-i-c-e-sub-forum/)
-   -   Apple CarPlay Experience - 2018 Owners (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-gk-specific-fit-i-c-e-sub-forum/97130-apple-carplay-experience-2018-owners.html)

sjd 12-04-2017 12:59 PM

Apple CarPlay Experience - 2018 Owners

I thought I’d start a thread to help compile information from those of us who have 2018 Fits and are using Apple CarPlay.

I’d like to keep this to owners who actually use CarPlay on a regular basis so I don’t care about those of you who don’t use it, prefer Android Auto or just like to post in every thread whether you actually have anything to contribute or not. Thanks.

So my experience with CarPlay has been 90% positive and 10% frustrating. The frustrating parts include:

The car not recognizing my iPhone. I usually have to unplug it and plug it in again, which gets annoying.

Apple Maps constantly tries to plot out a route back to my home whenever I start the app on the Fit’s screen. I then have to clear it. It drives me insane as I know how to get home from anywhere in 500 mile radius of my house I can’t find a setting or any info on how to to disable it.

When listening to Spotify the songs don’t always start when I left off when I get back in the car. They also play on fast forward sometimes or to start a song I have hit play twice. This could be a Spotify issue.

I should add that I’m on a 3 year old iPhone 6 that has up to date software. I’m looking to upgrade my phone at some point to an 8 or an X. I just can’t decide.

Anyone else have any of these issues or any others?

GAFIT 12-05-2017 05:43 PM

We have CarPlay in another car. Everything worked great until iOS 11.

The update brought with it tons of bugs and connectivity issues in that car and I'm even getting the occasional issue with sync2 in one car that has been dead perfect for years.

Every time I update my iPhone over the past several months, it seems to get worse battery life and connectivity.

Uncle Gary 12-05-2017 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by GAFIT (Post 1387403)

Every time I update my iPhone over the past several months, it seems to get worse battery life and connectivity.

How do you think Apple gets you to keep buying essentially the same phone over and over again? They keep “updating” the software, making your current phone run worse and worse.

sjd 12-05-2017 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by GAFIT (Post 1387403)
We have CarPlay in another car. Everything worked great until iOS 11.

The update brought with it tons of bugs and connectivity issues in that car and I'm even getting the occasional issue with sync2 in one car that has been dead perfect for years.

Yeah, I was still on and older iOS but an app for my work required the update. :(

GAFIT 12-05-2017 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Gary (Post 1387407)
How do you think Apple gets you to keep buying essentially the same phone over and over again? They keep “updating” the software, making your current phone run worse and worse.

It will just have me move back to Android. My current iPhone is only a few months old and the worst one I've had. It was on iOS 10 out of the box and worked great. The first update ruined a good phone and it keeps getting worse.

Do a search and you'll find what I'm saying it true for many. Nothing wrong with your car.

sjd 02-28-2018 12:16 PM

So I thought I would provide an update since its been a few months. I ended up with a new iPhone 8 for a tenth of what an X would have cost me. I couldn’t justify the extra money for a prettier, larger screen.

The plugging in and unplugging issue turned out to my cable so everything is working great now.

I’ve also had no other Spotify issues so they must have fixed that with an update. I do wish it wouldn’t default to the recently played screen though and go to my library.

I do still have the Apple Maps issue of it always trying to direct me home every time I use it though.

GAFIT 02-28-2018 12:23 PM

Guess I should update about my iPhone complaints as well. They finally came out with an update that works. Battery life is still not what it was back a year or so ago, but the phone no longer has connectivity issues. No change to cables or any changes to our vehicles. Our problems were apple problems.

TheHate 03-05-2018 10:47 AM

Ever since I updated my phone the other day, it will not connect to CarPlay at all. I tried resetting the phone, doing a factory reset on the head unit, using a different cable, plugging it in at different times during the boot sequence, plugging it in before turning on the car...

Nothing has worked so far. Bluetooth still works great, but I suspect that the most recent iOS update has screwed me. I have an appointment at the dealer coming up in about 3 weeks and will be bringing it up to them. Pretty frustrating as I only bought the car a week ago :confused:

EDIT: My phone is currently on iOS 11.2.6

GAFIT 03-05-2018 11:16 AM

The dealer won't likely be able to help as it's likely an apple problem. They've been really screwing up lately.

Have you tried eliminating the phone as a device entirely from the car and eliminating the car from the phone and then re-pairing? That sometimes is the fix.

My phone has been asking to do update. I keep telling it no. Will wait a bit. Apple now seems to look at customers as guinea pigs.

TheHate 03-05-2018 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by GAFIT (Post 1394924)
The dealer won't likely be able to help as it's likely an apple problem. They've been really screwing up lately.

Have you tried eliminating the phone as a device entirely from the car and eliminating the car from the phone and then re-pairing? That sometimes is the fix.

My phone has been asking to do update. I keep telling it no. Will wait a bit. Apple now seems to look at customers as guinea pigs.

Yep when I did the "factory reset" or whatever it's called it deleted my phone from the car and I had to re-add it, reconnect bluetooth, etc.

Does Android auto suffer from the same problems? I am about due for a phone upgrade and if Android Auto works better than Carplay I may give another device a try. It's annoying that this function doesn't want to play nice, as I love everything else about the car so far.

GAFIT 03-05-2018 12:57 PM

I would check with your dealer, but my Dad was told by his Honda dealer that Honda systems get along better with droid based phones than Apple.

That being said, my Dad was asking because he has connectivity issues with his 2017 CR-V EX.

Sadly, we have far fewer issues with our vehicles of different makes. Honda is just behind the infotainment game with all except the '18 Accord. It has the new system that they are supposed to be moving toward.

If you go here...
Honda HandsFreeLink | Bluetooth Connectivity for Honda Cars
and check cell phone compatibility, you'll find that not many modern cell phones are listed as compatible with even the brand new systems that are in Fits, CR-V's, etc.

TheHate 03-05-2018 04:43 PM

Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out, if the dealer tells me anything revolutionary when I'm there I will be sure to post it.

Jodygofast 03-05-2018 07:58 PM

I have a 2018 EX-L and a Iphone 8Plus. No connectivity problems. It works great. I had a Toyota previously and CarPlay is an improvement from Entune.

2Rismo2 03-05-2018 08:05 PM

I think it's anecdotal, but it seems I see more reports of ios issues more than android on here.

mr2spyderman 03-06-2018 12:13 AM

I can tell you that my Fit's radio has spontaneously rebooted in the middle of a drive. I thought it was the Belkin cable, so I switched to the white cable that came with the phone, but the radio still misbehaves.

CyclingFit 07-05-2018 10:25 AM

Thread has some age on it, but it sure is nice to keep everything in one place. Thanks!

Heavy user of CarPlay and it is an absolute love/hate relationship.

With a lot of construction in every direction, I find myself using CarPlay and maps even when it is a nearby drive. Skipping a traffic jam is always nice.

COMPLAINTS: And if anyone knows fixes, please share.
  1. I take a picture of my dash each time I fill up the car. On a road trip when I don't unplug the phone, simply taking the picture kicks me out of XM radio and pushes me into the junk that I keep on my phone.
  2. Same type of situation, stopped at a gas station I may decide to jump into Facebook and do a quick social media check, or browse other stuff on the phone and next thing I know, I am out of XM and back to whatever my phone wants to play.
  3. I would really prefer my phone never delivers music to the head unit. If there is a way to lockout my music, it would be amazing.
  4. Other complaints I may have are not about the CarPlay and would happen even if the phone was not connected. How nice it would be if searches on the map took into account the direction of travel... If I could add stops like google maps does... etc...
I never got to experience the glory days of CarPlay. It certainly sounds like things ran better a year or more in the past.

GAFIT 07-05-2018 11:29 AM

I have only been able to play with CarPlay for about 6 months, but the frustrations you share were certainly present then as well.

Personally, I don't like the system at all. I'm much happier with my phone not plugged into the car. I can't stand that CarPlay is constantly trying to take over the screen and use the phone as the input source. I prefer listening to satellite radio or FM because I use my phone as a communication device. Novel idea in the modern world.

None of this is Honda related though. My experience is with a VW, but CarPlay is CarPlay wherever it exists.

Also, Apple maps absolutely sucks!

FWIW, my Dad is in a Honda and uses AndroidAuto. It sucks also. He is having constant problems with it either taking over or, even worse, not wanting to work at all.

I listened to a podcast interviewing a developer of these automotive systems. He personally thinks they all suck and are a distraction. Said that someday these interfaces may work, but they are at an infancy stage and are very poor at the moment. I wholeheartedly agree.

hoangy 07-05-2018 04:58 PM

I've been using CarPlay for at least a year in my Pilot and my GK5 has CarPlay as well. I mainly use waze in the background while playing Pandora on the foreground. I don't seem to have the problems you guys have. My GK5 every once in a while will not recognize my phone when plugged in. I just unplug and plug it back in and it works.

GAFIT 07-05-2018 05:37 PM

Maybe you aren't trying to use satellite radio or FM?

If you're OK with the screen in your vehicle becoming a surrogate to your phone, there aren't as many problems.

For me, I'm happiest with the two just being separate.

Side note, if you've been using waze that means you don't have on screen navigation either. That is supposed to change when iOS 12 comes out, but it's been much less than ideal.

hoangy 07-05-2018 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by GAFIT (Post 1404609)
Maybe you aren't trying to use satellite radio or FM?

If you're OK with the screen in your vehicle becoming a surrogate to your phone, there aren't as many problems.

For me, I'm happiest with the two just being separate.

Side note, if you've been using waze that means you don't have on screen navigation either. That is supposed to change when iOS 12 comes out, but it's been much less than ideal.

Yeah I remember reading about getting support for Waze. I mainly stream music from my phone. I've used Maps for a while and it seems fine to me. It also works with my watch for turn by turn instructions.