3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Windshield scratches??

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 12:21 AM
5 Year Member
Windshield scratches??

Hello all,
I have a 2015 EXL NAV.
My windshield has swirls as if you waxed a dark car wrong and also tiny dots almost like tree sap but it is totally clean and smooth. If in garage or not facing the sun it looks clear but if sun is in front or even street lamps I see them sparkling. Anyone else have this issue? I am going to a glass shop Monday to see what they say and how much to replace windshield. I hate to mess with the factory seal but the sprakly glare really sucks. Love the car hate the glass.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:24 AM
5 Year Member
Impossible to evaluate over the internet with just a verbal description.
Has it always been this way since day one? That would suggest a flaw in the glass itself. If this is something that has materialized since getting the vehicle, it could be anything. Your windshield get's exposed to just about everything.

Whatever you are describing I would go out on a limb and say isn't common. Haven't seen a lot of threads or posts where people seem to have this complaint.

I probably am NOT the person to know or ask however, as I had to replace the original OEM windshield the first Winter, after street gravel put down after a snow storm came up and cracked it badly. So I already do not have the factory windshield. However, I don't remember having any symptom like you describe before the incident.

PS.
I would add, that I had Safelite replace the glass, and so far no issues.
I'm really hoping I can make it through this winter without another crack.
Where I live, it's not so much the snow or ice that really becomes the driving hazard, it's the TONS of gravel they immediately dump on the roads in reaction to a dusting of snow that usually lasts about 8 hours before melting away.

Last edited by fitchet; 12-11-2017 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:18 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply. It was CPO and noticed it from beginning but didn’t go back to dealer as I thought maybe I was being too picky and no recourse as it was used but living with it has become more annoying.

Old 12-10-2017, 10:26 AM
5 Year Member
Sounds like pitted glass to me. (And, someone tried to 'fix' it with abrasive things like steel wool or Scotchbrite)

PS, sent you a PM

Last edited by Carbuff2; 12-10-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:09 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, it does sound it. on the cheap i suppose you could get that polished but will require a lot of labor.

might be best just to replace the glass. ive had windshields replaced in the past and as long as the tech knows what he/she's doing there is no damage done to the car or any leaks. been pretty satisified with my local safelite guy.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
I almost had my 2015 windshield warrantied, and even the service manager on my side. I really didn't want the risk of scratches or issues from an early replacement situation.

My symptoms:
sparkles everywhere
oncoming headlights glowing because of sparkling
completely annoyed night driving

I ended up learning that it was caused by new microfiber towels. It's a complete pain to correct. I'm not sure how it happens, or how it sticks to the windshield so well, but seriously, if you have used microfiber on the inside or outside, it's probably the microfiber.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:49 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, some MF towels do lint early on. usually by the 2nd wash it wont lint but if it continues, i use those lint rollers after each wash to remove any remaining lint. on detailing towels i use the roller regardless after a wash to remove any grit that might still be on the towel.

also for glass, they sell special MF towels dedicated for glass.. there are no strands on the towel like on detailing towels. it almost feels like as soccer jersey.. well, kinda. you might want to get such towel and try removing the lint on your glass.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CyclingFit
I almost had my 2015 windshield warrantied, and even the service manager on my side. I really didn't want the risk of scratches or issues from an early replacement situation.

My symptoms:
sparkles everywhere
oncoming headlights glowing because of sparkling
completely annoyed night driving

I ended up learning that it was caused by new microfiber towels. It's a complete pain to correct. I'm not sure how it happens, or how it sticks to the windshield so well, but seriously, if you have used microfiber on the inside or outside, it's probably the microfiber.
Thanks that's interesting to know.
Just coincidentally I haven't used Microfiber on my windshield, but I have lots of them and could of easily.
Now I'll make sure I DON'T use a microfiber towel on the glass.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
yah, some MF towels do lint early on. usually by the 2nd wash it wont lint but if it continues, i use those lint rollers after each wash to remove any remaining lint. on detailing towels i use the roller regardless after a wash to remove any grit that might still be on the towel.

also for glass, they sell special MF towels dedicated for glass.. there are no strands on the towel like on detailing towels. it almost feels like as soccer jersey.. well, kinda. you might want to get such towel and try removing the lint on your glass.
Cool tip on the glass specific towels. I'll look for them since I'd love a towel that works better on glass.

For the original poster: If it really is microfiber, don't expect it to simply wipe off. I remember it taking quite a few cleaning sessions, but probably because I was just cleaning it and moving on, not actually focusing on an hour of windshield work. Good luck! I hope it's just some MF.

Oh.... Googled the topic and wow, I wasn't the first guy, LOL. But I didn't read into correcting it.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CyclingFit
Cool tip on the glass specific towels. I'll look for them since I'd love a towel that works better on glass.

For the original poster: If it really is microfiber, don't expect it to simply wipe off. I remember it taking quite a few cleaning sessions, but probably because I was just cleaning it and moving on, not actually focusing on an hour of windshield work. Good luck! I hope it's just some MF.

Oh.... Googled the topic and wow, I wasn't the first guy, LOL. But I didn't read into correcting it.
So what ultimately did you use to clean it and did it alleviate the sparkles?
Thanks for all the tips

Old 12-11-2017, 03:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by first honda
So what ultimately did you use to clean it and did it alleviate the sparkles?
Thanks for all the tips
Honestly, I just kind of lost track of it... I never did anything special, just continued doing my normal weekly car washes, wiping down the inside every few weeks. You could probably clean it repeatedly with fresh sides of a cotton towel or old plain t-shirt.. I'm sure someone has found an ideal way. Like I mentioned earlier, this seems to be pretty common based on some google research.