Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Headlights sometimes come on in daytime (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/97189-headlights-sometimes-come-daytime.html)

Brain Champagne 12-13-2017 05:35 PM

Headlights sometimes come on in daytime

I have my lights set on auto.

Sometimes they come on during the day. I tried cleaning the round thing at the center of the dash- I think that's where the sensor is- but it hasn't helped.

Any ideas, before I take the time to bring it to the dealer? (it is under warranty)

Lane03 12-13-2017 06:14 PM

Is it more cloudy on the days it comes on?

2Rismo2 12-13-2017 08:05 PM

I've had that happen if I go into an area with a lot of tree cover. Sometimes it'll actually dim the headunit too. If it's coming on and your in a sunlit area then maybe there's a problem.

fitchet 12-13-2017 09:04 PM

Does this represent a change in comparison to how it has worked in the past?
Are your windows tinted?

Sure if you feel it has changed, and/or is coming on erroneously by all means get it checked out while you are still under warranty.

I have occasionally noticed mine coming on during the day, but it's usually heading towards dusk, or when I'm in a shadowed area.

Brain Champagne 12-13-2017 09:34 PM

Windows not tinted. Haven't noticed it happening until a couple of weeks ago. Not sure it's happened on a sunny day but it's not like it's dark enough for the lights to come on. I would understand if I'm in shade on a hazy day, or in a tunnel. I guess I'll see if it's only when it's a little darker but I think there's some sort of issue.

exl500 12-14-2017 07:01 AM

Mine came on a few mornings ago. There was full sunshine, but intermittent shade from overhanging trees. I'd not seen the car do this before, but they went off once I was out of that area. So it might be normal what yours are doing.

fitchet 12-15-2017 01:03 AM

As a result of this thread, and the original post, I've paid a little more attention to when my headlights are actually coming on.

I noticed today, that they indeed were on, in relative daylight. Heading towards dusk, but still fully daylight...

I don't know if I'm prepared to call it a flaw.

When you have "Auto Headlights"...for liability and safety reasons I would guess Honda has the system tuned to turn on...quickly and at a low threshold.

Maybe today, when I noticed mine were on, it might NOT of been exactly when I would of chose to turn them on, if I was manually making that decision myself. BUT...

I can think of it as almost having automatic DRL's. And I think I'd rather have headlights that might be turning on early or "conservatively" , than discover the opposite problem, which would be auto headlights that weren't turning on quick enough.

I like the feature. Maybe I'll just pay more attention now, to when they are actually on.
At worst? For the most part, I would say the "system" heading towards dusk and evening, is turning my headlights on about 1/2 hour, 45 minutes before I would if i was making the decision myself.

The system might even be more correct than I am myself. Better to have your lights on a little early, than be driving at night without your lights on.

robs 12-15-2017 05:49 AM

Mine come on all the time in relatively bright conditions. Wouldn't worry about it. If the sun is low, there's not really direct impingement on the sensor and they're on.

kenchan 12-15-2017 07:46 AM

with the sad little battery the GK comes with, i manually turn the headlights on and off. i asked my wife to do the same and she does it too.

Fuelish 12-15-2017 07:50 AM

Our Fit is the 3rd car we've owned that had the auto light option, and I don't believe my wife, my son, nor I have ever used it. I'm just used to a lifetime of turning them on myself, I guess...

kenchan 12-15-2017 11:11 AM

yah i don't use it on my vw's either actually. i don't like them turning on just driving through a quick underpass..

fitchet 12-15-2017 02:05 PM

I still really like the feature.
Don't have to worry that I turned on the lights.
Don't have to worry that I turned off the lights.

And you start to appreciate the value of the feature the first time you see a different car driving around at night with their lights off.

This is the first car I have ever had that had that feature as well. I'd invite anyone who hasn't tried it to try it.
It's NOT rocket science, I don't see what there is to dislike. It's basically "Set It and Forget It".

Maybe the hardest thing for me to adjust to, was the temptation to turn the light's off..from Auto to Off when I first had the vehicle. This lasted about 2 weeks.
Once I got it into my head that set to auto, I didn't have to do anything? I've come to really like it.

2Rismo2 12-15-2017 02:26 PM

Did you guys know that the headlights and running lamps will turn off when you park automatically even if not in auto mode? It does on mine. Give it a try. It takes about 10s or so but works.

I tried the auto mode when I first got the car but honestly prefer controlling it on my own. In daytime I typically have the running lights on because I like how the tail lights are illuminated. I like the added visibility. I'm also not so distracted that I understand when the headlights need to come on when it gets dark.

FIT-to-be-tied 12-16-2017 02:48 PM

Personally, I never turn my lights off. They turn off when the engine is turned off and come on when I start it.
Driving with full low beams in daylight will allow other vehicles to see you better. They are brighter than DRLs and also will activate your parking lights, side markers and tail lights where DRLs do not.
There is also a psychological effect in play: Studies have shown that they give you a more imposing road presence and other vehicles are more apt to yield right-of-way, etc.

Fuelish 12-16-2017 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by FIT-to-be-tied (Post 1388358)
There is also a psychological effect in play: Studies have shown that they give you a more imposing road presence and other vehicles are more apt to yield right-of-way, etc.

....maybe to a Smart car, or a Scion iQ, or something. There will never be anything imposing about a Fit :D

kenchan 12-16-2017 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by 2Rismo2 (Post 1388304)
Did you guys know that the headlights and running lamps will turn off when you park automatically even if not in auto mode? It does on mine. Give it a try. It takes about 10s or so but works.

didnt know and that is good to know. but doesnt it make like a beep noise when the lamps were on with the engine off? cant remember.

FIT-to-be-tied 12-16-2017 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by kenchan (Post 1388369)
...but doesnt it make like a beep noise when the lamps were on with the engine off? cant remember.

Yes, if your lights are set to the ON position, you will hear a beeping as soon as you open the door.

Uncle Gary 12-16-2017 09:47 PM

My lights turn on during the day quite frequently this time of year when the sun stays close to the horizon. I’m guessing it’s normal.

kenchan 12-18-2017 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by FIT-to-be-tied (Post 1388387)
Yes, if your lights are set to the ON position, you will hear a beeping as soon as you open the door.

ahh thanks. if i heard the beeping i'll automatically turn the headlights off manually without thinking. :D haha

TaubBaer 12-18-2017 04:35 PM

I love my Auto feature, I don't care if it is on or not during the daylight. Once a while, I had left the headlights on in other vehicle, I had to call AA to come and jump-start it.