Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   6MT oil change (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/97255-6mt-oil-change.html)

robs 12-24-2017 06:21 PM

6MT oil change

Anyone done this yet? Was at the dealer and they said it was due every 30k miles. Not a big cost.. $15 for oil and crush washers. I'll do it next oil change..

Just wondering

bach 12-24-2017 09:10 PM

you gotta mean MT fluid change, huh? There's no set schedule in the manual; it defers to dealer inspection. I find that quite odd.

ashchuckton 12-24-2017 10:18 PM

It's easy to change so I'd do it. Lots of metal wear going on in a transmission getting it out isn't a bad idea.

USDM 12-25-2017 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by robs (Post 1389087)
Anyone done this yet? Was at the dealer and they said it was due every 30k miles. Not a big cost.. $15 for oil and crush washers. I'll do it next oil change..

Just wondering

Check this video out!

Carbuff2 12-25-2017 09:01 AM

I replace the MT fluid in our Fit and CR-V every 30K miles.

It seems to smooth out the shift action.

A friend with an Acura RSX didn't change his until his car started grinding during shifts (~80K miles). He couldn't believe how much better this simple bit of maintenance helped.

CommanderSlug 03-08-2018 03:48 PM

MM will call for MT service around 60k miles. Too late imo. Also, I don't like the feel of honda's mtf. I am currently running on Torco's MTF; loving it.

USDM 03-08-2018 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by CommanderSlug (Post 1395216)
MM will call for MT service around 60k miles. Too late imo. Also, I don't like the feel of honda's mtf. I am currently running on Torco's MTF; loving it.

I'm right there with you on that one! I made the switch to Torco MTF at a smidgen over the 18,000 mile mark.

The Honda MTF works just fine when it is warmed up, but while it was cold, it proved to be a nuisance at times.

Torco MTF feels just the same as Honda MTF when it is warmed up, but I've noticed an improvement in shifting while the fluid is still not up to operating temperature.

jrv784 03-29-2018 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by USDM (Post 1395219)
I'm right there with you on that one! I made the switch to Torco MTF at a smidgen over the 18,000 mile mark.

The Honda MTF works just fine when it is warmed up, but while it was cold, it proved to be a nuisance at times.

Torco MTF feels just the same as Honda MTF when it is warmed up, but I've noticed an improvement in shifting while the fluid is still not up to operating temperature.

New to these cars and Honda in general. Any specific Torco MTF I should look for? Thanks for any help.

USDM 03-29-2018 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by jrv784 (Post 1397259)
New to these cars and Honda in general. Any specific Torco MTF I should look for? Thanks for any help.

Torco offers two variants of manual transmission fluid. I'm using Torco MTF.

Torco Oils and Automotive lubrication products list

jrv784 03-29-2018 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by USDM (Post 1397265)
Torco offers two variants of manual transmission fluid. I'm using Torco MTF.

Torco Oils and Automotive lubrication products list

Thanks I really appreciate it. Does the transmission drain plug also have a crush washer? what steps did you take to change the oil and do the job well....thanks for any advice USDM

USDM 03-29-2018 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by jrv784 (Post 1397268)
Thanks I really appreciate it. Does the transmission drain plug also have a crush washer? what steps did you take to change the oil and do the job well....thanks for any advice USDM

You're very welcome.

Yes, both the fill and drain plugs utilize a crush washer which I replaced when I changed my transmission fluid. Your local Honda dealership should have these crush washers in stock.

I used a "Mityvac MVA6851 Fluid Extractor" to pump the new fluid in.

I ended up pumping in just over 1.5 liters of Torco MTF before it started leaking out of the fill hole.

Other than that, make sure to break open your fill plug before you drain your transmission fluid.

You don't want to drain your transmission fluid only to find out that your fill plug won't break loose. :hyper:

CommanderSlug 03-30-2018 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by jrv784 (Post 1397268)
what steps did you take to change the oil and do the job well....thanks for any advice USDM

From the manual: 1.5 US qt or 1.4 Liters of oil. I dumped 1.5 in mine, no problems.

Check out this video:

jrv784 03-30-2018 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by USDM (Post 1397274)
You're very welcome.

Yes, both the fill and drain plugs utilize a crush washer which I replaced when I changed my transmission fluid. Your local Honda dealership should have these crush washers in stock.

I used a "Mityvac MVA6851 Fluid Extractor" to pump the new fluid in.

https://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-MVA68...EDEB51Y4XDZPZQ

I ended up pumping in just over 1.5 liters of Torco MTF before it started leaking out of the fill hole.

Other than that, make sure to break open your fill plug before you drain your transmission fluid.

You don't want to drain your transmission fluid only to find out that your fill plug won't break loose. :hyper:

The mityvac looks like a useful tool to have around will wind up getting it. Thanks for the info USDM :thumbups:

jrv784 03-30-2018 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by CommanderSlug (Post 1397310)
From the manual: 1.5 US qt or 1.4 Liters of oil. I dumped 1.5 in mine, no problems.

Check out this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiUNGsXXA3Y

A video walk through makes it much easier. Thanks Slug

preludes&fit 04-08-2018 06:23 PM

Thanks for the video, nice to see things before you do them :). I was curious what prompted the engine oil vs Honda MTF, I heard your commentary about using it to "flush" the system, but I was just curious if you could explain that a bit.

In a different thread, I asked the group about their initial changes - I plan to swap out the engine oil at about 700 miles and the tranny oil at about 5000 miles. The initial break-in should be done by then, so I want to get all the particulates out. Any thoughts are appreciated... I don't break in engines for a living :).

CommanderSlug 04-08-2018 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by preludes&fit (Post 1397968)
I was curious what prompted the engine oil vs Honda MTF, I heard your commentary about using it to "flush" the system, but I was just curious if you could explain that a bit.

In a different thread, I asked the group about their initial changes - I plan to swap out the engine oil at about 700 miles and the tranny oil at about 5000 miles. The initial break-in should be done by then, so I want to get all the particulates out. Any thoughts are appreciated... I don't break in engines for a living :).

I had some conventional Quaker State 5w20 sitting for 3 years since my dad got rid of this car and the manual says motor oil can be used as a temporary measure, so I figured why not use it to "flush" the transmission since I had not changed the oil in it in 46k miles.

As for the motor's first oil change, I waited for the maintenance minder, so I did mine at 7500 miles. I ran two lab analyses for two of the subsequent oil changes and the results turned out very good.

calafricano 04-16-2018 03:38 PM

3 months or 3k miles for motor oil.every 50k for trans. this is just what i do and seems to work.

fujisawa 04-17-2018 07:45 PM

cala, it will definitely work but going to pour a lot of oil and money down the drain ... for the motor oil anyway (trans fluid at 50k very reasonable). 3k was what oil could get to back in the 70s, but steadily getting better as original manufacturing tolerances have improved by factor of 10. Less debris gets into the lubricant nowadays. I mean you can replace it as frequently as you want, it just won't deliver any added benefit. It'd be like getting a new roof on your house every year: you could, if you want, but most people wait until it's looking like it won't protect the house as well as it used to.

preludes&fit 04-17-2018 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by fujisawa (Post 1398653)
cala, it will definitely work but going to pour a lot of oil and money down the drain ... for the motor oil anyway (trans fluid at 50k very reasonable). 3k was what oil could get to back in the 70s, but steadily getting better as original manufacturing tolerances have improved by factor of 10. Less debris gets into the lubricant nowadays. I mean you can replace it as frequently as you want, it just won't deliver any added benefit. It'd be like getting a new roof on your house every year: you could, if you want, but most people wait until it's looking like it won't protect the house as well as it used to.

My big question is on the first oil change, engine and tranny. Point well taken on advancements, but initial flush of the system was the origin of the question. Do engines need a break in process? I haven't seen any conclusive evidence either way, manufacturers spec <4k rpm for the first few hundred miles...so I'll say, yes.

Fact is, we won't know... there are too many variables to actually hold your finger to one cause. Just sourcing input, thanks for the thoughts on the topic.

robs 04-30-2018 09:14 PM

I'm the OP and at 85k miles just changed the transmission with Honda fluid.

So.

1) It's kinda messy. I underestimated the flow from the drain, and covered by driveway with tranny fluid.

2) After careful wipedown, I stole the clear hose and funnel from one of the videos and refilled the tranny after draining. Was right at 1.5 quarters.

3) Made huge difference on shifting. Was getting pissed off downshifting into 2nd.. had to heal toe rev match.. not anymore!

4) Doett!. Not much to draining and refilling. Get clear tube and small funnel. Pretty easy. Big difference in shift quality!