3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

I hit a raccoon

Old 01-23-2018, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
I hit a raccoon

Is there any chance this could be fixable with aftermarket parts? I'm pretty handy. Just thought I'd check. We have $1000 deductible. That's why I ask.

Attached Thumbnails I hit a raccoon-coon1.jpg   I hit a raccoon-coon2.jpg  
Old 01-23-2018, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
Dang! Must have been a monster racoon! I've seen people pop out dents on plastic bumpers with heat guns, check out youtube:

Old 01-23-2018, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
use heat gun, pop the plastic bumper out. u will still have lots of scratches, try polishing. then buy a cheap ebay front lip to cover it up.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member
Check for sure with your insurance company. Animal strikes come under a different category. When my daughter hit a deer they dropped the deductible because it was an animal strike.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
You can see if you have a local Sortafits/shittyfit (Certifit) or LKQ which sells both used and aftermarket. Another option would be to check Car-part.com Maybe you get lucky and find the parts in your color. Keep in mind most aftermarket parts need to be painted to match. Not sure if you have a spray gun, compressor or if your thought is to rattle can it which will look like crap.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rob H
You can see if you have a local Sortafits/shittyfit (Certifit) or LKQ which sells both used and aftermarket. Another option would be to check Car-part.com Maybe you get lucky and find the parts in your color. Keep in mind most aftermarket parts need to be painted to match. Not sure if you have a spray gun, compressor or if your thought is to rattle can it which will look like crap.
A co-worker called Certafit for me. They have a Matt black one for $90 + tax.
Now my question is - Is this doable?
I do my own brake work, recently changed the fuel pump in that beater Toyota pick up in the background, and I changed the head gasket in a 2008 Corolla. That's my level of ability. I'm pretty inexperienced with body work, however. But hey, Its all one big erector set, ain't it?

Old 01-23-2018, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
Its doable. I removed the front clip to wire up fogs on my lx. Check out the thread about the maintence manual so you can see where all the fasteners are, i had to guess. There is a chance that there is more damage after you remove the clip

Old 01-23-2018, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by max503
I do my own brake work, recently changed the fuel pump in that beater Toyota pick up in the background, and I changed the head gasket in a 2008 Corolla. That's my level of ability. I'm pretty inexperienced with body work, however. But hey, Its all one big erector set, ain't it?
Use this video as a starter, you'll still need to remove some plastic push pins and screws underneath but it's all pretty obvious

https://youtu.be/HDkbJUAItXg

I recently fixed my front bumper sag: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/90566-quick-intro-5.html#post1383832

Old 01-24-2018, 08:47 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
hope the raccoon was carrying insurance..

Old 01-26-2018, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member
Just curious, do you have Honda Sensing? If so, and if it was turned on, did it try to automatically apply the brakes?

Old 01-26-2018, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member
no, i think it applies the accelerator in this case for the ultimate effect.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member

I don't know what doable is for you? There's a ton of youtube video. I used to work as a supervisor in an auto plant. These parts are meant to be put on in less then 45 seconds and the steps are broken down to the level that anyone can learn the job in less than 5 minutes. The biggest thing is the paint. If having an unpainted bumper cover on your car is acceptable than you're good. If you're OK with a rattle can painted bumper with paint that will crack and flake off the minute you bump into something, then you're good to go. Personally, I'd find a professional shop that would paint it. I'm sure you can find someone in the $200-300 range?

No offense, but why are you bothering? You're OK driving a truck with the bed smashed in. I would think an unpainted bumper cover is going to make your car look like a taxi cab. I'd drive around with the smashed one before an unpainted. At least one side will look good. As others have mentioned, try pushing most of it out with a heat gun

Last edited by Rob H; 01-26-2018 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rob H
No offense, but why are you bothering? You're OK driving a truck with the bed smashed in. I would think an unpainted bumper cover is going to make your car look like a taxi cab. I'd drive around with the smashed one before an unpainted. At least one side will look good. As others have mentioned, try pushing most of it out with a heat gun
The truck? That's my beater. It's for fishing, hauling wood, and hauling the dog to the river for a mud bath.

My deductible is $1000. The shops recommended by my insurance company wanted around $950. Imagine that.
I found a little shop that will do the whole job for $500. Parts, painting, and labor.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:21 AM
5 Year Member
at least its not a body panel where you want to match paint perfectly with the adjacent panel.

GL with the repairs.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:42 AM
5 Year Member

My deductible is $1000. The shops recommended by my insurance company wanted around $950. Imagine that.
I found a little shop that will do the whole job for $500. Parts, painting, and labor.

Unfortunately when it comes to auto body repair you get what you pay for. $700-1,000 doesn't seem out of line. My Subaru had a minor rear end collision. All that needed to be replaced was the rear bumper cover and paint. No other damage. That was just under $850. A new OEM bumper cover was $240 when I priced it. Shops that are cheaper are cheaper because they're using lesser quality materials, not using flex agent or flexible primer, buying aftermarket bumper covers from places like Sortafits, used, or remanufactured. It's not like buying a piece of chicken where it's all the same and who's cheaper. Again, what your finances are and what you consider an acceptable repair.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
Wow, that's a nasty dent.
That "Racoon" wasn't holding a Lazer Rifle and accompanied by a talking twig?
You may of just ended a Guardians of The Galaxy franchise.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
It's a little Mom and Pop repair shop that's been here forever, but yes, he asked me if I was OK with after market parts.
To me, cars are appliances as opposed to status symbols. As long as it works and it ain't trashy I'm good.
The coons and deer are hugh around here. I'm just glad it didn't have antlers.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:12 PM
The coons and deer are hugh around here. I'm just glad it didn't have antlers.
I'm afraid this was no accident, max503. You didn't hit a racoon. The racoon hit you - with destructive malice and forethought!

The below photo was taken moments after his attack on your beloved Fit. Notice how he is making his getaway atop a poor defenseless and obviously humiliated gator. He may be riding high now but coon season is just around the corner. Fear not, he'll get what's coming to him...

Good luck on your repairs.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BenQuick
I'm afraid this was no accident, max503. You didn't hit a racoon. The racoon hit you - with destructive malice and forethought!

The below photo was taken moments after his attack on your beloved Fit. Notice how he is making his getaway atop a poor defenseless and obviously humiliated gator. He may be riding high now but coon season is just around the corner. Fear not, he'll get what's coming to him...

Good luck on your repairs.

OMG! That's him! It was a cinnamon coon just like the picture and it came in from the front at a 45 degree angle.
This happened in a swampy area about 1/4 mile off the Mississippi River. While we don't have gators up here you got me worried. I hope those two weren't in cahoots.

Old 02-02-2018, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
OMG! That's him! It was a cinnamon coon just like the picture and it came in from the front at a 45 degree angle.
This happened in a swampy area about 1/4 mile off the Mississippi River. While we don't have gators up here you got me worried. I hope those two weren't in cahoots.
kind of off topic, but ... did the coon make it? the suspense is killing me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I hit a raccoon