Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Shouldn't The 2018 Sport Be The Top Of The Line Model? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/97546-shouldnt-2018-sport-top-line-model.html)

Chitown Fit 02-05-2018 03:36 AM

Shouldn't The 2018 Sport Be The Top Of The Line Model?

It's surprising to me that the Sport isn't the top of the line model like it was before it was discontinued.

2Rismo2 02-05-2018 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Chitown Fit (Post 1392412)
It's surprising to me that the Sport isn't the top of the line model like it was before it was discontinued.

Not according to Hondaspeak. The elite trim is their highest trim level in other models.

EX-L is it in the Fits. Maybe they'll do an elite trim with LED headlights :rotfl:

kenchan 02-05-2018 07:59 AM

i remember 'sport' trims were like the performance version of the base model at most oems so this time honda followed the popular naming convention i suppose.. only problem is there is really nothing is sporty about the Fit sport besides some plastic.

fitchet 02-05-2018 08:41 AM

Isn't that kind of subjective to the buyer?

I mean Honda can market and price something as being the "Top of The Line", but it kind of all just comes down to what you want.

Even though I bought a Honda Fit EX, I'd say I think Fits are better values in the "lower" trim lines.
You end up paying quite a bit for the upgrades up the proverbial ladder.

If you like the blacked out wheels, and the spoilers, The Honda Fit Sport seems like a pretty good deal.
If you don't?

GAFIT 02-05-2018 09:45 AM

It would be tough to choose between the '18 Sport and EX for me. The Sport looks better, but the EX has better equipment.

I test drove an Accord Touring 2.0 over the weekend. Same thing there. I'd want the Touring equipment, but with the manual and wheels from the Sport.

European and domestic automakers are much better with packaging than the Japanese car brands. BMW, Mercedes, VW, Audi, etc let you layer luxury packages with sport packages. They aren't mutually exclusive. Toyota is possibly the worst with lack of features even on higher trim levels.

wmo168 02-05-2018 12:25 PM

The EX has keyless start and the Sport still used key and no honda sensing as standard etc... that's why the EX is price the same as Sport.

Chitown Fit 02-05-2018 03:43 PM

What The 2018 Sport Should Be.

To me it would make sense that the Sport Trim of any car would be top of the line model. No sunroof and no keyless entry in the Sport model doesn't make sense to me. I'm planning on upgrading my 2015 EX Bumpers to the 2018 Sport Bumpers. An EX along with the Sport goodies is what the Sport should be. It would be great to pick and choose what options and equipment we wanted from each level. At least from a visual point of view.

sneefy 02-05-2018 04:04 PM

In my personal opinion, 'sport' should be a somewhat stripped performance model. e.g: tighter steering ratio, firmer suspension, no sunroof (for weight), optional sport seats, etc. Top-of-the-line would be better called 'limited' or 'touring' than 'sport'.

But, honestly, it doesn't matter what my opinion of 'sport' is, or what your opinion of 'sport' is. Plenty of manufacturer trim level designations are pretty meaningless since there is so much variation across manufacturers. They decide what to call the various trim levels. and 'sport' for one manufacturer is going to be different than from another. You need to adapt instead of complaining.

Who cares what it's called? Just pay attention to the what's included in the trim levels since that's what matters. Not the name.

GAFIT 02-05-2018 04:36 PM

The fail to me is that Sport shouldn't be a trim level, but should be an option package.
With other car makers they are packages that can be added to any trim level.

Want the Luxury Group on your Dodge Hemi Charger...it's an option. Want the Road & Track (sport) package with big brakes and better suspension...you can add it also.

I have a Lincoln with the Premium package with an important extra box checked that gives it adaptive suspension, big brakes, twin turbo v6 and awd.

BMW, Mercedes, etc are also this way.

AFAIK, it's only the Asian vehicles that lock vehicles into one category or another.

If it were up to me, Honda's would come as LX, EX, or Touring models and each would offer Sport, Technology, and/or Driver Assist packages.

LX - base cloth interior, steel wheels with hub caps, etc
EX - upgraded fabric, heated seats, alloy wheels, etc
Touring - Leather, upgraded alloy wheels, stitched dash, cooled seats, etc

Sport Pack would add better handling, brakes, and, preferably, power increase.
Drivers Assist would add lane keep assist, blind spot monitors, autonomous braking, etc
Technology would add navigation, adaptive cruise control, premium sound system, high end lighting

This method allows owners to either save money or pay for their dream machine. It also allows auto makers to charge a premium for premium experiences.

Obviously you're going to get the person that wants an LX with LED adaptive lighting and no other options or a person that wants a Touring model with steel wheels, but you can't please all the people all the time. The days of 200 box item choices are over because they slow down manufacturing too much.

That doesn't mean that there can't be some form of customization. Granted, it does cost the manufacturer more and most Asian brands and the customers are more about saving money.

Uncle Gary 02-05-2018 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by wmo168 (Post 1392434)
The EX has keyless start and the Sport still used key and no honda sensing as standard etc... that's why the EX is price the same as Sport.

The EX also has a moonroof.

Chitown Fit 02-05-2018 08:44 PM

Sport Options.

I wish the Sport was available back in 2015. Now that's it's here I'm getting the blacked out wheels and the front and rear bumpers. They'll look great on my EX 6 speed. :thumbups:

mike410b 02-06-2018 09:25 AM

The Accord Sport is an appearance package one step up from the LX.
The Civic HB Sport is not the top trim level.
The Fit Sport is the same as both of those.

Amabento 02-06-2018 09:14 PM

For me? Sport trim is always the entry trim plus some performance... aesthetic or performance. The HFP is the best looking package, but should include unique front-rear fascia, 17” wheels, exclusive seats and keyless functionality.

Chitown Fit 02-06-2018 10:14 PM

I'll Also Add;

Originally Posted by Amabento (Post 1392601)
For me? Sport trim is always the entry trim plus some performance... aesthetic or performance. The HFP is the best looking package, but should include unique front-rear fascia, 17” wheels, exclusive seats and keyless functionality.

A Sunroof, Heated Front Seats, Outside Turn Signal Flashers. The current EX-L should be considered the "Sport Trim" Package.

Amabento 02-07-2018 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Chitown Fit (Post 1392605)
A Sunroof, Heated Front Seats, Outside Turn Signal Flashers. The current EX-L should be considered the "Sport Trim" Package.

I’m sure you’re taking the piss, now, ‘cos nothing about heated seats and sunroof says [Motor]Sport.

TorontoBoy 02-07-2018 08:53 AM

Does not "sport" mean performance? which means lower weight, less superfluous gadgets. Add go fast parts? Does not "sport" mean do not add anything that does not improve performance?

In the motorcycle world, I think you are looking for a poser car. Replacing your bumpers, adding a sun roof, heated seats would either be a waste of money, detract from the performance of your car, or both.

it is your car, but I don't think your definition of performance is the standard. Performance is closer to F1 and further from cruising the McDonald's parking lot on car night.

sneefy 02-07-2018 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Chitown Fit (Post 1392605)
The current EX-L should be considered the "Sport Trim" Package.

Why? Just because you feel it should? Because you have a different definition of what 'sport' means than Honda?

It doesn't matter what you think 'sport' should mean if your definition doesn't fit reality.

GAFIT 02-07-2018 09:04 AM

I maintain that Sport does not have to mean the lack of amenities. It should just mean the addition of Sporting attributes (handling, braking, power).

It should be a package offered at any trim level and not a trim level by itself.

Sport also shouldn't necessarily mean race car either. That's what R, CR, RS, Type-R, ZR, etc nomenclature is for.

2Rismo2 02-07-2018 09:08 AM

You can get a sport badge off eBay and stick it on anything you want. Sport Lawnmower. Sport Toaster. Sport Skis.

knope 07-11-2018 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by 2Rismo2 (Post 1392638)
You can get a sport badge off eBay and stick it on anything you want. Sport Lawnmower. Sport Toaster. Sport Skis.

My toaster is really slow, how many more horse powers will the sport badge add?