Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   What I Like and Dislike about my 2018 Honda Fit (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/97548-what-i-like-dislike-about-my-2018-honda-fit.html)

Pumpkintacos 02-05-2018 03:21 PM

What I Like and Dislike about my 2018 Honda Fit

So I've owned my 2018 Fit EX CVT for going on 3 months now and I decided to make a list of things I like and dislike about the car so far!

- Gas mileage. I'm averaging around 37mpg with mixed city and highway driving. I'm sure other people are getting more but this is a huge step up compared to my Ford Taurus that was averaging around 19mpg.

- Size. It's perfect. I wanted a small car that had great cargo capabilities as well as not feeling small when you're in it. This car delivers.

- Cargo space. Like I said above, for a small car it can hold a lot of cargo. Love the magic seats.

- Maneuverability. Thanks to its size maneuvering around is no issue and fitting into tight parking spaces is easy. Handling is great.

- It's Zippy. People might disagree with me but I think this car is pretty zippy even though it doesn't have a powerful engine. My other car is very sluggish compared to this one.

- The seats. Another thing people might disagree with me on. I actually find the seats to be comfortable. One of the main things I worried about before I test drove were the countless reviews I read saying how uncomfortable the seats were. How people ended up needing to see chiropractors after buying this car, ect. I'm happy to report the seats are fine for me. I also love how you can move the seat up and down. I'm only 5'0 and this is the only car I've driven where I can see over the dashboard.

- Handling. This car just drives well and it feels good to drive. That's as descriptive as I can get.

- Safety features. They haven't ended up saving my life yet but I do appreciate that they are there and it's a big plus for me. I love the backup camera and LaneWatch.

- Easy entry/Walk away locks. Just love these features.

- Looks. I just like the way this car looks. Some people might disagree and think it's butt ugly but this is the best looking car I've owned.

Cons (More like minor gripes):

- NO LIGHT IN THE GLOVE COMPARTMENT. Like what the hell? Really? I mean really? They couldn't have thrown one in there? Come on.

- Backseat passenger comfort is nonexistent. Luckily I don't really deal with people in my backseat but I wish they at least had cup holders back there.

- Armrest and middle console area is just awkward. Odd placement for cupholders. No space to really put my cellphone so I end up putting it in a cupholder because it's awkward to put it BEHIND the cupholder if I'm using the cupholder for.....cups. Since I'm short and have to move my seat very forward the armrest ends up being way behind me and it's awkward to reach and grab things inside the armrest compartment. Height doesn't bother me since I never use the armrest to rest my arm.

- Passenger door doesn't have a way to lock/unlock doors. This confuses me. Why not? That is very weird to me.

- Hard steering wheel. My hands actually hurt when I first started driving this car. Now they are used to it and it's not an issue but I thought I'd mention it. Yes I know steering wheel covers exist.

- Nonexistent clear coat. I've only had this car for a short time and there's scratches all over it now. Scratches that I have no idea how they happened. I should've put something on the car to protect it but I thought people were exaggerating when they said the clear coat is thin. They were not exaggerating.

- Bumpy ride. I feel every little imperfection in the road and I bounce around in my seat. Still love the car though.

That is all I can think of for right now. My cons are in no way deal breakers and I'd buy this car again tomorrow knowing what I know now (Unless I run into mechanical issues in the future......too soon to tell).

I'd also like to point out the A-Pillars, this was another thing I was worried about before I test drove. A-Pillars don't bother me. I have not had any near-accidents because of them. If I am driving through a tight curve I just move my head, problem solved.

Feel free to add to my thread with your Likes/Dislikes if you want.

GAFIT 02-05-2018 05:00 PM

I'd say those were fair likes and dislikes. Just some notes...

Backseat comfort - our GD has the option to have the rear seats bolt upright or reclined. In recliner mode, it's pretty comfy back there for an economy car. Can you recline the ones on the GK? Ours also has cupholders in the the rear...they are in the doors (any molded into your rear doors?). The JDM center console added another set, but we rarely use those.

Nonexistent clearcoat - the scratches aren't likely from lack of clearcoat, but from poor clearcoat. Our new VW Golf is the same. Scratches by looking at it. I think it's a combination of the new water born paints and Mexican manufacturing. The water born paints on my domestic vehicles are fine, but the Mexican VW's, Honda's, etc aren't so good.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it overall. Hope it keeps showing you more things to like and the dislikes diminish.

woof 02-05-2018 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Pumpkintacos (Post 1392446)

- Backseat passenger comfort is nonexistent. Luckily I don't really deal with people in my backseat but I wish they at least had cup holders back there.

- Hard steering wheel. My hands actually hurt when I first started driving this car. Now they are used to it and it's not an issue but I thought I'd mention it. Yes I know steering wheel covers exist.

The uncomfortable back seats is a feature. Your friends/relatives will ask you to give them a ride somewhere once, and then never never again.

Yeah the steering wheel is hard and uncomfortable. I bought a nicely padded cover.

You didn't comment on noise. I had seen a lot of comments about how noisy Fits were but the 2018 seemed very quiet to me with the improvements they made.

Pumpkintacos 02-05-2018 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by woof (Post 1392471)
You didn't comment on noise. I had seen a lot of comments about how noisy Fits were but the 2018 seemed very quiet to me with the improvements they made.

You're right I didn't. Road noise didn't fit in a pro or cons list. I've never driven a lower gen Fit to be able to tell you if it's any different now but I'll tell you in my opinion the road noise isn't bad. The only 2 cars I've ever driven before my Fit was a 2001 Toyota Tacoma and a 2005 Ford Taurus and the Fit is quieter than both those cars. Yes there is road noise but no it doesn't bother me. A totally quiet interior would be creepy. I like feeling connected to the car a bit.

One thing I'll add to cons in an edit is that it's a little bit of a bumpy ride. I feel every little imperfection in the road and I'm bumping around in my seat. Still love this car.

Pumpkintacos 02-05-2018 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by GAFIT (Post 1392459)
I'd say those were fair likes and dislikes. Just some notes...

Backseat comfort - our GD has the option to have the rear seats bolt upright or reclined. In recliner mode, it's pretty comfy back there for an economy car. Can you recline the ones on the GK? Ours also has cupholders in the the rear...they are in the doors (any molded into your rear doors?).

I think the rear seats recline a bit but I'm not 100% sure, I have a cargo cover back there now. Maybe someone else can say. As far as I can tell there aren't molded cup holders in the doors. It's a bummer.

kenchan 02-05-2018 07:54 PM

thanks for the review pumpkintacos. :nod:

2Rismo2 02-05-2018 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Pumpkintacos (Post 1392479)
I think the rear seats recline a bit but I'm not 100% sure, I have a cargo cover back there now. Maybe someone else can say. As far as I can tell there aren't molded cup holders in the doors. It's a bummer.

GK rear seats do recline and there are indents for beverages in the door.

RTFM

Pumpkintacos 02-05-2018 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by 2Rismo2 (Post 1392487)
GK rear seats do recline and there are indents for beverages in the door.

RTFM

Are there really indents in the doors for beverages? I totally don't see them. Guess I need to look again.

fitchet 02-05-2018 08:41 PM

It's not too late to put a protectant on your vehicle.
I'd call local detailers and see what they recommend. They also may be able to buff out some of your scratches and swirls and minimize the visible damage already done.

Cichlid_visuals 02-06-2018 03:08 AM

Although i mostly chose this car for its economy, being fun to drive was just as high a priority for me, and the gk5 makes me smile in the canyons. Competitors in this segment feel like generic shells of crap in comparison. The gk5 has character, and a feeling of sophisticated confidence, especially for a car in this segment.

2Rismo2 02-06-2018 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Pumpkintacos (Post 1392489)
Are there really indents in the doors for beverages? I totally don't see them. Guess I need to look again.

You can kind of see them in this picture. I think they are better suited for water bottles so you have to be careful if you're using a to go cup. They are behind the speakers:

https://st.motortrend.com/uploads/si...rior-seats.jpg

Pumpkintacos 02-06-2018 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by 2Rismo2 (Post 1392511)
You can kind of see them in this picture. I think they are better suited for water bottles so you have to be careful if you're using a to go cup. They are behind the speakers:

https://st.motortrend.com/uploads/si...rior-seats.jpg

You're right, I checked my car. I guess those can be considered cup holders.

WindyMan 02-06-2018 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Pumpkintacos (Post 1392446)
So I've owned my 2018 Fit EX CVT for going on 3 months now and I decided to make a list of things I like and dislike about the car so far!

- It's Zippy. People might disagree with me but I think this car is pretty zippy even though it doesn't have a powerful engine. My other car is very sluggish compared to this one.

- Bumpy ride. I feel every little imperfection in the road and I bounce around in my seat. Still love the car though.

I don't mind the bumpy ride, personally. With how well the car drives and the zippy-ness of it, having a car that's responsive to where you can feel every bump in the road is awesome when you're having a bit of fun with it.

I appreciate the Fit because it hits the absolute perfect sweet spot of "practical and economical" and "fun and sporty." I doubled down on both with my 2018 EX CVT, getting the Honda Sensing package and paddle shifters option. Adaptive cruise is marvelous for gas mileage, and paddle shifters help me get the most fun out of the car this side of a manual.

Uncle Gary 02-06-2018 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by WindyMan (Post 1392543)
I don't mind the bumpy ride, personally. With how well the car drives and the zippy-ness of it, having a car that's responsive to where you can feel every bump in the road is awesome when you're having a bit of fun with it.

I appreciate the Fit because it hits the absolute perfect sweet spot of "practical and economical" and "fun and sporty." I doubled down on both with my 2018 EX CVT, getting the Honda Sensing package and paddle shifters option. Adaptive cruise is marvelous for gas mileage, and paddle shifters help me get the most fun out of the car this side of a manual.

My sentiments exactly. The Fit combines both the car I NEED and the car I WANT in one package.

SR14626 02-06-2018 02:42 PM

What I dislike and wish Honda would improve on is the legroom in front. Couple more inches would not hurt. I’m a tall person. Better slightly taller armrest moved closer forward to rest my arm on is most needed, and a better infotainment system. All of that, I chose this car for it’s compact size, zippy feel over a larger car, and gas mileage.

wmo168 02-06-2018 03:06 PM

Put paint protection film on the car so it won't scratch...

Uncle Gary 02-06-2018 03:14 PM

Truth to tell, I don't notice whether there is an armrest in the car or not. When I drive, I have both hands on the wheel (like you're supposed to), so there's no need for an armrest.

exl500 02-06-2018 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Gary (Post 1392559)
Truth to tell, I don't notice whether there is an armrest in the car or not. When I drive, I have both hands on the wheel (like you're supposed to), so there's no need for an armrest.

Me too. And I need a like button for most of these comments.

2Rismo2 02-06-2018 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Gary (Post 1392559)

I put a higher armrest storage pad and I can rest my elbow on it, and still hold the lower right part of the wheel. It's not so high that it gets in the way of spirited driving either. Best of both worlds :nod:

Amabento 02-07-2018 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by SR14626 (Post 1392550)
What I dislike and wish Honda would improve on is the legroom in front. Couple more inches would not hurt. I’m a tall person. Better slightly taller armrest moved closer forward to rest my arm on is most needed, and a better infotainment system. All of that, I chose this car for it’s compact size, zippy feel over a larger car, and gas mileage.

A personal observation regarding the armrest. The height seems to take MT and CVT into consideration... any higher and it would likely get in the way for constant shifting. I found Fiat, in contrast, did not take as much into consideration with the 500L armrest. FFTW