Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Spray kick-up (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/97561-spray-kick-up.html)

aelk799 02-06-2018 05:12 PM

Spray kick-up

Anyone notice the Fit kicks up a lot of spray in rain or slush conditions?

I've got rear mud guards and still the back of my Fit is completely covered in a slush and salt mix.

I guess it's the small rear over hang and flat back. Brutal to keep clean.

kenchan 02-06-2018 07:43 PM

its the shape of the car due to the vortex. my GTI and Golf-R also do the same.

Uncle Gary 02-06-2018 08:02 PM

Such is life with a hatchback. That’s why they put window wipers on the back windows.

SHAG 02-06-2018 10:01 PM

Worst car ever with this problem. The spoiler is useless keeping up spray off the rear window compared to my old Yaris and the gunk gets blown up where the hatch release and lock buttons are.

ashchuckton 02-06-2018 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by kenchan (Post 1392596)
its the shape of the car due to the vortex. my GTI and Golf-R also do the same.

+1 Big turbulence at the rear of hatch backs. Love having a rear wiper.

bach 02-06-2018 10:43 PM

Not my first car with a rear wiper, but my first car with a rear wiper that clears the wrong side of the rear window. Ever notice that? It definitely favors the passenger side. Other cars I've had rotated from the center. I figure it's because it was designed for right hand drive.

2Rismo2 02-07-2018 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Gary (Post 1392598)
Such is life with a hatchback. That’s why they put window wipers on the back windows.

Agreed, my 4Runner has the same problem. The back hatch area is the dirtiest part of the vehicle.

Plus my Fit is white so it looks extra filthy haha

TorontoBoy 02-07-2018 08:56 AM

Toronto! Yes, there's nothing that will keep your car clean. I, too, have rear mud guards, but there's splash and salt stains right up to the top of the car in the rear. There's nothing you can do.

Uncle Gary 02-07-2018 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by 2Rismo2 (Post 1392621)
Agreed, my 4Runner has the same problem. The back hatch area is the dirtiest part of the vehicle.

Plus my Fit is white so it looks extra filthy haha

Mine, too.:(

Uncle Gary 02-07-2018 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by bach (Post 1392609)
Not my first car with a rear wiper, but my first car with a rear wiper that clears the wrong side of the rear window. Ever notice that? It definitely favors the passenger side. Other cars I've had rotated from the center. I figure it's because it was designed for right hand drive.

Yeah, it's most likely because the Fit is designed for Japan, where they drive on the wrong side of the road. It was probably too much trouble to reverse the wiper location for the rest of the world.

fitchet 02-11-2018 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by SHAG (Post 1392603)
Worst car ever with this problem. The spoiler is useless keeping up spray off the rear window compared to my old Yaris and the gunk gets blown up where the hatch release and lock buttons are.

Yeah, I think the spoiler is useless in this regard because most of the spray is coming up from the bottom to the top. So the spoiler actually just becomes a lip that catches and forces more dirt and spray down on the hatch.

But hey?
It's a hatchback, not a sedan where the back window is protected by being set back behind a trunk.
Nor is it a bigger SUV which is placing the rear window higher up.

The reality of how much spray get's on the back hatch...is exactly why I have no interest in deleting my rear wiper.

Action Jackson 02-11-2018 09:49 AM

Over the couple of days, we've had enough snow come down, that I've noticed the entire rear hatch and ALL of the lights (brakes, turn signals, high mounted brakes, licence plate and my pillar lights) were completely covered.

The only way someone knew that I wanted to turn was from the mirror signals.

On my trip to Montreal I had to stop and clean the entire rear end a few times.

TorontoBoy 02-11-2018 10:01 AM

Related, road snot has accumulated on both front wheels. This is slush that the wheels have kicked up, which then solidifies between the wheel and the mud guards. Usually some vibration/tapping on the mud guard is all that is needed to loosen it, which then falls off, but this morning it would not budge. Frozen solid, I could not remove it, even with well placed kicks.

The rear wheels have more give to the bodywork and shed the snot much easier.

bach 02-11-2018 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by TorontoBoy (Post 1392940)
Related, road snot has accumulated on both front wheels. This is slush that the wheels have kicked up, which then solidifies between the wheel and the mud guards. Usually some vibration/tapping on the mud guard is all that is needed to loosen it, which then falls off, but this morning it would not budge. Frozen solid, I could not remove it, even with well placed kicks.

I had a little scare this morning ... my little corner of the world has seen maybe 20 inches of snow since Thur night and I took the Fit out this morning for the first time all week. After a few miles my steering wheel starting violently shaking at 35 mph. A quick check found a bunch of frozen snow stuck all inside my pass side wheels that threw the balance all to hell. I had to pull it out by hand; no fun but it stopped the shaking.

kenchan 02-11-2018 12:55 PM

yah, happens on my cars too if i dont remove the snow out of the barrels..

Rob H 02-11-2018 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by bach (Post 1392945)
I had a little scare this morning ... my little corner of the world has seen maybe 20 inches of snow since Thur night and I took the Fit out this morning for the first time all week. After a few miles my steering wheel starting violently shaking at 35 mph. A quick check found a bunch of frozen snow stuck all inside my pass side wheels that threw the balance all to hell. I had to pull out by hand; no fun but it stopped the shaking.

I just go to the hand car wash and remove the snow with the hot soapy water sprayer. Much faster, easier and only costs a couple bucks. Besides your wheels are then clean

SHAG 02-11-2018 09:53 PM

I see that the 2018 Fit build has an optional spoiler but I doubt that it directs air down over the rear window to keep debris off it like the older SUV's did years ago. That would probably hinder fuel mileage ...:eek3:

CommanderSlug 02-22-2018 03:05 PM

I'm daydreaming of the day when fits come with dual rear wiper set-ups.