Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Ugh, need to replace hood (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/97579-ugh-need-replace-hood.html)

mizike 02-09-2018 08:10 AM

Ugh, need to replace hood

So I was driving down the highway when I heard what sounded like a large rock bouncing off somewhere in the front of the car. I pull off and see that I have some major damage to the hood (but luckily, just isolated to the hood and not the hinges).

Anyone know what it costs to get a full hood replacement? Or, is it preferable to buy the hood, paint it, and install it?

Any experienced advice would be helpful. Thanks!

wasserball 02-09-2018 08:12 AM

A picture or it didn't happened. Fair enough?

Rob H 02-09-2018 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by mizike (Post 1392801)
So I was driving down the highway when I heard what sounded like a large rock bouncing off somewhere in the front of the car. I pull off and see that I have some major damage to the hood (but luckily, just isolated to the hood and not the hinges).

Anyone know what it costs to get a full hood replacement? Or, is it preferable to buy the hood, paint it, and install it?

Any experienced advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Unless you find a used hood in the same color on Car-part.com and swap out yourself most likely you won't really save any significant money by buying the hood yourself taking it to a body shop and having them paint it.

The bodyshop is going to buy the hood at a discount and charge you list. Yes, you can probably buy it online at a discount, but then you have shipping. Plus if it is damaged in transport, now you have to deal with that. Maybe you can find a local parts department that might discount you? Then you'll piss off the bodyshop and they will just charge more for the paint. Sure you can spend a day or more getting quotes for the paint work but what is your time worth? To actually perform the repair correctly for color match they would blend the fenders, meaning blend the color and re-clear. If you rattle can it will look like dick or a taxi cab and rock chip easily and cost more when you take it to a body shop for them to remove the crap you put on. Personally, I'd turn it into your insurance company or take it to a reputable shop and pay out of pocket for a turn key repair.

mizike 02-09-2018 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by wasserball (Post 1392802)
A picture or it didn't happened. Fair enough?

Fair enough... but when I have the time.

mizike 02-09-2018 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Rob H (Post 1392804)
Unless you find a used hood in the same color on Car-part.com and swap out yourself most likely you won't really save any significant money by buying the hood yourself taking it to a body shop and having them paint it.

The bodyshop is going to buy the hood at a discount and charge you list. Yes, you can probably buy it online at a discount, but then you have shipping. Plus if it is damaged in transport, now you have to deal with that. Maybe you can find a local parts department that might discount you? Then you'll piss off the bodyshop and they will just charge more for the paint. Sure you can spend a day or more getting quotes for the paint work but what is your time worth? To actually perform the repair correctly for color match they would blend the fenders, meaning blend the color and re-clear. If you rattle can it will look like dick or a taxi cab and rock chip easily and cost more when you take it to a body shop for them to remove the crap you put on. Personally, I'd turn it into your insurance company or take it to a reputable shop and pay out of pocket for a turn key repair.

Sounds like good advice. I plan on heading over to some body shops to see if the hood is salvageable. It doesn't look that bad except theres this one huge indentation where part of the hood is almost punctured.

Pics to follow later in the day.

wmo168 02-09-2018 09:45 AM

Is it dent or paint damage? A Paintless dent removal will work if the paint is still good.

Rob H 02-09-2018 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by mizike (Post 1392806)
Sounds like good advice. I plan on heading over to some body shops to see if the hood is salvageable. It doesn't look that bad except theres this one huge indentation where part of the hood is almost punctured.

They usually don't fix hoods, at least around Chicago. It's usually quicker/cheaper to just replace the hood

wasserball 02-09-2018 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by mizike (Post 1392806)

Give those paintless dent repair guys a chance for their opinion. Maybe the repair may not be perfect, but in time, you could save a lot of money by ignoring the imperfection.

Uncle Gary 02-09-2018 02:12 PM

If you have comprehensive insurance, it should cost you no more than your deductible out of pocket.

When I caught a deer on the hood with my '09 Fit, it cost about $1100 to replace the hood IIRC. That was having the body shop source the hood, paint it and install it. My insurance paid all but the deductible.

Action Jackson 02-09-2018 06:13 PM

Bang it back into shape, Bondo if necessary, then vinyl wrap to save the most money.

Or just get a black hood if you really don't care about color matching, since black will go with every other color out there.

I did a black aftermarket hood after it was bent in an accident (in my DC Integra).

Currently my GK hood is 3M clear protected. If it was dinged, I might do the bang and wrap.

I'm curious in seeing a picture.

mizike 02-12-2018 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by wmo168 (Post 1392808)
Is it dent or paint damage? A Paintless dent removal will work if the paint is still good.

Both dent and paint damage.

mizike 02-12-2018 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Rob H (Post 1392813)
They usually don't fix hoods, at least around Chicago. It's usually quicker/cheaper to just replace the hood

Thats what I was thinking ....

mizike 02-12-2018 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Gary (Post 1392831)
If you have comprehensive insurance, it should cost you no more than your deductible out of pocket.

When I caught a deer on the hood with my '09 Fit, it cost about $1100 to replace the hood IIRC. That was having the body shop source the hood, paint it and install it. My insurance paid all but the deductible.

With a $1000 deductible, its going to be close. I have an oil change due in a month so I'll get a quote from the dealer. But I know the answer, it's going to be better going to an indy shop.

mizike 02-12-2018 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Action Jackson (Post 1392853)
Bang it back into shape, Bondo if necessary, then vinyl wrap to save the most money.

Or just get a black hood if you really don't care about color matching, since black will go with every other color out there.

I did a black aftermarket hood after it was bent in an accident (in my DC Integra).

Currently my GK hood is 3M clear protected. If it was dinged, I might do the bang and wrap.

I'm curious in seeing a picture.

See attached....

mizike 02-12-2018 09:29 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I got a little busy but here are the pics. I cleaned the snow and salt grime from the hood and all in all, it doesn't look that bad. The scratches can be buffed out but that one big dent that looks punctured looks problematic.

One garage I visited quoted me $300 which is ok for me....

I'm not sure what happened...all my wife and I heard was a loud thud against the body while we were going 35-45mph on the Brooklyn Queens Expressway. Whatever it was, it looks sizable so it looks like an object fell off somewhere or someone chucked something from their car.

Uncle Gary 02-12-2018 09:55 AM

Ouch! That’s probably the worst place to get a “boo boo” on a hood. That would be hard to fix, but ask a body shop. This is a time I wouldn’t go through a dealer, because most aren’t really body shops (at least around here). I have a place I’ve dealt with for over 30 years and they’re excellent (un)fortunately.

That points up the problem with carrying high insurance deductibles. If you can’t afford the deductible, it’s a false economy.

mizike 02-12-2018 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Gary (Post 1393029)
Ouch! That’s probably the worst place to get a “boo boo” on a hood. That would be hard to fix, but ask a body shop. This is a time I wouldn’t go through a dealer, because most aren’t really body shops (at least around here). I have a place I’ve dealt with for over 30 years and they’re excellent (un)fortunately.

That points up the problem with carrying high insurance deductibles. If you can’t afford the deductible, it’s a false economy.

We'll see what the my body shop guy at Citi Field can do for $300. He's worked magic before. To replace the hood, OEM, will be $600. Not as bad as I thought.

Not sure what the affordability of deductible as anything to do with this topic.

wasserball 02-12-2018 11:05 AM

The damage is right along the crease, difficult to get it right. Even if you get it repaired rather than to get a new hood, you will notice that the line of sight will not be straight. Either live with it, or get it done right. Ugggghhhhh.

mizike 02-12-2018 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by wasserball (Post 1393037)
The damage is right along the crease, difficult to get it right. Even if you get it repaired rather than to get a new hood, you will notice that the line of sight will not be straight. Either live with it, or get it done right. Ugggghhhhh.

Yea it hurts. My wife has been in a sour mood as this is her car. I'm gonna see how my guy Shah at Citi Field does with our baby Fit. I'll post pics afterwards.

kenchan 02-12-2018 02:05 PM

i’d get a new hood and paint.