3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

How to lock and unlock using the smart key. I’m gonna punch a window soon

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 01:43 AM
How to lock and unlock using the smart key. I’m gonna punch a window soon

Just got a 2018 Fit EX with the smart key. All I want it to do is to be able to lock it from the remote immediately after stepping out which it won’t do. I have to wait until the interior lights shut off before I can press the lock button on the remote or on the door handle. I activated the walk away auto lock which isn’t working. On several tries, the car will beep once I’m five feet away but won’t lock. I know this because once the car beeps, I’d leave the key about 15-20 feet away and I walked back to the car only to find it didn’t lock. After a few more trials, I realized when the walk away beep happens, THEN I can lock the car using the remote without waiting for the interior lights to shut off. All that being said, I just want it to behave like every other freaking car remote I’ve ever had and lock immediately once I shut the door. Any advice will be appreciated.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:38 AM
5 Year Member
Frustrating. Nothing fancy. The LX has a key fob that can lock the car anytime you press the lock button.

Last edited by wasserball; 02-15-2018 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:46 AM
5 Year Member
So, what have they done differently for ‘18? I never had any such difficulty with my ‘15 EX.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:51 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
why would u want to lock from the fob? just push the lock button on the door outside. keep ur fob in your pocket.

get with the times.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
why would u want to lock from the fob? just push the lock button on the door outside. keep ur fob in your pocket.

get with the times.
that’s what I’ve always done. Easier than fishing in my pocket. Doesn’t that work on an ‘18?

Old 02-15-2018, 08:51 AM
5 Year Member
What they said^

You exit the car, shut the door, and press the door handle button. It locks, assuming the other doors and hatch are also closed. At least that's how my 2015 works.

We don't have auto lock, so can't help there. Maybe you should visit the dealer or revisit the manual.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:16 AM
I have a 2018 EX and it sounds like something is wrong with your car if indeed you're doing it right. I don't have to wait for any lights to turn off before I lock my car. I get out and walk away...beep...beep-lock, or I manually press the button on the door. There is no wait period.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jim de Guzman
I have to wait until the interior lights shut off before I can press the lock button on the remote or on the door handle.
What interior lights? Why would interior lights still be on once you've closed the door?

Old 02-15-2018, 04:29 PM
I have an 18 Fit EX, and I've turned on the walk away lock feature. I'll describe what I've done. If that's what you're doing then you may want to go to the dealership.

With the key in my pocket I close the door, a second or two later I'll hear a beeb. I'll walk away, and when I'm 10ft away or so I'll hear another beep (and maybe a click) and the lights will flash), that confirms that it's locked. Occasionally it will shoot out a bunch of quick beeps (like 5 or 8 or something, really fast). I haven't quite figured out what that means other than "something's not right." It might mean something just went wrong and I'll have to lock it via the button on the fob, or that maybe one of my doors isn't closed completely (apparently it also means a fob is left in my car)
In the Car settings it's accessed from the dashboard settings at "Door Setup" > "Walk away auto lock" > "on"

Old 02-15-2018, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by orangeSloth5
I have an 18 Fit EX, and I've turned on the walk away lock feature. I'll describe what I've done. If that's what you're doing then you may want to go to the dealership.

With the key in my pocket I close the door, a second or two later I'll hear a beeb. I'll walk away, and when I'm 10ft away or so I'll hear another beep (and maybe a click) and the lights will flash), that confirms that it's locked. Occasionally it will shoot out a bunch of quick beeps (like 5 or 8 or something, really fast). I haven't quite figured out what that means other than "something's not right." It might mean something just went wrong and I'll have to lock it via the button on the fob, or that maybe one of my doors isn't closed completely (apparently it also means a fob is left in my car)
In the Car settings it's accessed from the dashboard settings at "Door Setup" > "Walk away auto lock" > "on"
Numerous beeping indicates that one of the doors is not shut properly, engine running, or something else. I too have an 18
and I have absolutely no issues shutting the door, hearing the first beep and walking away about 10 feet or so and hearing
the second beep indicating it is locked. I had to set up the walk-A-way feature. I set up the lighting where after I leave the car all lights turn off immediately when shutting the door. This can be changed in settings.

Last edited by SR14626; 02-15-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
I don't know how difficult it would be to visit your dealership, or any Honda dealership, but I think the easiest answer would be just to pull in, and demonstrate your problem.
Because either you are doing something subtly wrong in procedure OR you have a problem with your whole system.

My 2016 does NOT have the auto walk away lock. You say you activated it, but it isn't working.
I'm wondering if either settings are messed up OR you have a tangible problem with your system.
But really? I think the easiest, fastest way to find out would be just to pull in to a dealership and demonstrate what is happening. You could call first and make an appointment, just in case they pull they we are too busy to help you card. Sometimes they are willing to just quickly take a look, other times they want a actual diagnostic appointment made.

I can't offer too much advice, because mine just works. But as stated, the 2016 does NOT have the auto walk away lock function.

Just for kicks, you said you activated it, but it's NOT working. Have you tried de-activating it, and seeing if it helps with the problem you are having with your fob? I'm wondering if the two things aren't somehow connected. Just a guess.
Otherwise? I'd just let warranty and the dealership deal with it.

Last edited by fitchet; 02-15-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan

get with the times.
The OP say's "I have to wait until the interior lights shut off before I can press the lock button on the remote OR ON THE DOOR HANDLE "

So I don't think he wants to stand by the vehicle waiting for the interior lights to go off.