Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Hand brake popped out (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/97625-hand-brake-popped-out.html)

DruidMan 02-17-2018 10:32 PM

Hand brake popped out

Tonight I pulled out of the garage and set the brake. I went to close the garage door and heard a metallic pop. I looked at the Honda and it was rolling down the drive. It was stopped by a tree that it bent over and just scratched the underside of the bumper. WTF? NEVER leave these running and not in gear.

woof 02-17-2018 11:00 PM

Garage door openers are nice. You never have to get out of the car to open and close the door.

SR14626 02-18-2018 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by DruidMan (Post 1393552)
Tonight I pulled out of the garage and set the brake. I went to close the garage door and heard a metallic pop. I looked at the Honda and it was rolling down the drive. It was stopped by a tree that it bent over and just scratched the underside of the bumper. WTF? NEVER leave these running and not in gear.

what year Fit do you have ? In or out of warranty? How many miles on the car?.

wasserball 02-18-2018 08:35 AM

Are you reminding yourself not to leave the engine running and in gear or are you complaining about a problem in the Fit parking brakes? Next time ratchet the brake handle a little more to provide sufficient tension so the brakes will not let loose.

cgs2000 02-18-2018 09:36 AM

.....and hold in the brake lever's 'button' as you ratchet.

2Rismo2 02-18-2018 12:11 PM

So did the handbrake completely fail like it won't actuate anymore or did it slip out of place? I've never had that brake slip out of place in any case. Usually it's several clicks for it to lock.

kenchan 02-18-2018 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by DruidMan (Post 1393552)

:rotfl: hahaha!! sorry to hear but funny as hell. glad to hear noone was hurt!!

TorontoBoy 02-19-2018 11:09 AM

The Fit's handbrake is a bit feeble. You need to yank harder.

woof 02-19-2018 12:58 PM

I'm not sure how you conclude that it's the Fit's handbrake which is feeble. Wouldn't it be equally fair to conclude that it's the driver who's pulling on the handbrake who's feeble?

SR14626 02-19-2018 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by woof (Post 1393673)
I'm not sure how you conclude that it's the Fit's handbrake which is feeble. Wouldn't it be equally fair to conclude that it's the driver who's pulling on the handbrake who's feeble?

I would tend to believe this. It’s been two days whoops 6 days and the OP has not come back to answer our questions on his very first post.

TorontoBoy 02-19-2018 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by woof (Post 1393673)

That is true, so point well taken. Yank 'er hard.

Some new cars have these electronic hand brakes, with a push button, which will not lock up your rear while moving in snow and ice. Some people take the fun out of everything.

kenchan 02-19-2018 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by TorontoBoy (Post 1393682)
Some new cars have these electronic hand brakes, with a push button, which will not lock up your rear while moving in snow and ice. Some people take the fun out of everything.

this is very true.. actually not about fun but about survival when your pos jeep rental car suddenly decides to understeer towards a guard rail on an expressway onramp going no more than 18-20mph in the snow and you have no way of rotating just the rear cause the e-brake is a faking switch.

while running out of room, i did a full lock away from the rail and pulsed the throttle gently multiple times as last ditch effort and it worked but i was pretty :hyper:. wasnt scared of crashing, but the paperwork id need to file and the long wait for the cops and possibly a tow truck in a blizzard wouldve sucked BIG time. :mad:

CommanderSlug 02-22-2018 03:03 PM

I have the same issue, lever pops down a few notches once in a while. It has a mind of its own.