Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Mods That Work (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/97627-mods-work.html)

Nedpoins 02-18-2018 10:18 AM

Mods That Work

I have made the following relatively inexpensive mods to my 2015 Fit EX:
Auto-dimming mirror with compass and Homelink
Tint all around
Progress rear anti-sway bar
Tanabe front torsion reinforcement bar
Performance Stage 1 chip
AEM intake
Akrapovic exhaust tip
Badging

IMHO, the ones that made the most difference in everyday commuting were the anti-sway bar, tint, mirror, and Tanabe bar. The chip is noticeable, but not that impressive. I’d skip the intake and perhaps get the Tanabe Medalion exhaust instead.

All-in-all, its more fun to drive now, and I still love the car’s versatility and character.
Nedpoins

2Rismo2 02-18-2018 12:04 PM

I agree on the rsb, it definitely is something I'd do again.

What performance chip do you have?

Does the Tanabe bar go near the strut towers in the front? Does it really make a difference as it doesn't seem to really connect to the strut towers like typical setups?

I didn't like how the AEM is situated near the firewall. Seems it would get hot air there. Instead I went with a ram air intake with a K&n drop in. Seems to work pretty well.

Since it's my daily commuter, I'm not doing anything crazy with it. If like to do new discs and pads when the stock units wear out. Also minor drop springs with new struts.

kenchan 02-18-2018 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Nedpoins (Post 1393576)
Tint all around
Performance Stage 1 chip
AEM intake
Akrapovic exhaust tip
Badging

do those badges give u like 50hp?

http://www.jdmprostreet.com.au/wp-co...0x39-White.jpg

Nedpoins 02-18-2018 03:51 PM

Yea, the badges make a BIG difference! The Tanabe bar definitely tightened up the front end. It’s a GTE Stage 1 performance chip. I put on some EBC slotted discs up front with ceramic pads. They feel much better and stopping power has improved. The slots make me feel better, that’s all.

These are all pretty cheap mods that make my commute more entertaining.
Nedpoins

mike410b 02-18-2018 04:22 PM

On a street driven car, none of these made any real difference.

kenchan 02-18-2018 05:08 PM

well, i donno about the rest, but i have to agree with the op that the self-dimming mirror with compass is a nice feature.. and the only 'mod' that's on my GK..

2Rismo2 02-19-2018 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Nedpoins (Post 1393607)
Yea, the badges make a BIG difference! The Tanabe bar definitely tightened up the front end. It’s a GTE Stage 1 performance chip. I put on some EBC slotted discs up front with ceramic pads. They feel much better and stopping power has improved. The slots make me feel better, that’s all.

These are all pretty cheap mods that make my commute more entertaining.
Nedpoins

Fit is my commuter car too so I've lightly modified to make my commute more enjoyable. When the original tires wore out, I put 205s instead.

Some interior mods that have helped:

Taller center armrest with storage - nice to rest your elbow and place to put pens, lotion etc
Leather wrapped steering wheel
Leather wrapped shift knob
12v multiple USB outlet 4.8 amp charger - charges phone faster
Magnetic phone mount - makes running Waze easier
Husky floor mats
Aluminum/rubber pedals - oem gas pedal seemed slippery
Sunglass holder that replaces the driver oh crap handle
Dash camera that goes over rear view mirror - it's much larger than the stock mirror and records front and rear simultaneously.

kenchan 02-19-2018 08:40 AM

husky floor liners are definitely a must-have for people in the snowbelt (or mud) states. :nod:

Rob H 02-19-2018 06:02 PM

Tint all around
Performance Stage 1 chip
AEM intake
Akrapovic exhaust tip
Badging

IMHO, the ones that made the most difference in everyday commuting were the anti-sway bar, tint, mirror, and Tanabe bar. The chip is noticeable, but not that impressive. I’d skip the intake and perhaps get the Tanabe Medalion exhaust instead.

All-in-all, its more fun to drive now, and I still love the car’s versatility and character.
Nedpoins

It's all subjective. I have ZERO use for tinted windows. Kind of hard to see at night living out in the country. Maybe if I lived in Florida I might think different?

For a street car I don't see the strut mount brace or the rear sway bar making any difference? I autocross a WRX and have a collection of rear sway bars that I used as a tuning aid at autocross events. When I'm driving my car on the street, I don't really feel any difference between any of the bars I've had on my car vs stock. Pushing your car to that limit on the street is endangering someones life. Either yours or the soccer mom in the mini van who hasn't consented to it.

Mods that work are:

Wheels & Tires
Performance Alignment
Koni or Bilstein struts
Driver mod. Find your local SCCA chapter and sign up for the local autocross school to learn car control. It will teach you how slow you are regardless of the mods you have installed.

exl500 02-19-2018 08:45 PM

I live in Florida. You would think different. ;-)

Chitown Fit 02-19-2018 10:02 PM

My Mods To Do List;

K&N Air and Cabin Filter
Borla Muffler
Carbon Fiber wrap on the hood
2018 Sport Wheels (not the HPF Wheels)
Stock size Yokohama Tires
2018 Sport Front/Rear Bumpers.

Aussie 02-19-2018 10:45 PM

Hey Rob,

I just got a '18 sport and am curious about your thoughts on tires/wheels?
For a 1.3l engine I don't really expect much out of the fit but also curious about what you meant by "performance alignment"?

I'm all about comfort. I figured one day I'm upgrade the shocks but that doesn't seem to be a popular mod here.

Complete noob so anything you add is something to learn.

thanks.

Originally Posted by Rob H (Post 1393689)

Mods that work are:

Wheels & Tires
Performance Alignment
Koni or Bilstein struts
Driver mod. Find your local SCCA chapter and sign up for the local autocross school to learn car control. It will teach you how slow you are regardless of the mods you have installed.

TaubBaer 02-20-2018 12:49 PM

For work commute, the mods will be useful are: Self-Dimming rear mirror, bigger cup holder for my coffee hydro flask, better headlight, and movable (sliding type) visor when using to block sun from driver's side.

Aussie 02-20-2018 01:08 PM

Where did you pick up the auto dimming mirror and was it a hard install?

Thanks.

:)

Tint all around
Performance Stage 1 chip
AEM intake
Akrapovic exhaust tip
Badging

Nedpoins

GAFIT 02-20-2018 02:47 PM

Performance Stage 1 chip

First I've heard of this. More information please!

TougeMonster_GK5 02-20-2018 05:06 PM

:yeahthat:

Originally Posted by GAFIT (Post 1393763)
First I've heard of this. More information please!

Rob H 02-20-2018 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Aussie (Post 1393716)
Hey Rob,

I just got a '18 sport and am curious about your thoughts on tires/wheels?
For a 1.3l engine I don't really expect much out of the fit but also curious about what you meant by "performance alignment"?

I'm all about comfort. I figured one day I'm upgrade the shocks but that doesn't seem to be a popular mod here.

Complete noob so anything you add is something to learn.

thanks.

First off you have to ask yourself what your comfort level with tire wear/replacement is?

Tires are a series of compromises. You won't find a tire to stick like glue and last 60K miles. Just won't happen. If you want it to stick like glue and you can live with maybe 10-15K miles of use at most then Bridgestone RE-71R or BF Goodrich Rival S 1.5 tires. If you're looking at maybe 20-30K max than maybe something like the Bridgestone RE760 Sport? If you need more miles or cheaper tires than you'll pay the price of loss of grip. The stickier tires will also effect your fuel economy.

Stock alignment usually has the wheels with a toe in condition and conservative camberfor high speed for stability and wear. Going to a ZERO toe and maxing out the negative camber to say 2 degrees will make the car turn in faster and corner better at the expense of tire wear and high speed stability. If for the most part you're comfortable with increased tire wear and don't plan on driving at 80-90mph on regular basis than it's fine.

In regard to wheels. For my 2017 Fit I like 16X7" and as light as possible. What you choose will depend on your budget or likes in regard to styling. I know some have posted pics with 15X7" and 17X7" and seem happy. For me the 16X7" with a 205/45-50/16 is a good compromise of handling and performance without too bad of a milage sacrifice.

Lastly, to reiterate there is no free lunch in regard to tires. It's the single biggest improvement you can make to your car, but the most overlooked. I think it's because people don't understand their value to performance or it's because they don't bring the same amount of street credibility as saying I put coil overs, adjustable aluminum control arms, strut tower braces or whatever suspension mod.

Good luck with your project

jsurles 02-07-2021 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by 2Rismo2 (Post 1393643)
Sunglass holder that replaces the driver oh crap handle
Dash camera that goes over rear view mirror - it's much larger than the stock mirror and records front and rear simultaneously.

You have links/pictures to these two items?

As a prescription eyeglass wearer.. I keep a pair of prescription sunglasses in the car.. right now they are living in the center console.. but I miss the little easy to get to place on the roof of most cars.

Also interested in the rear view mirror you speak of.

bill bosco 02-15-2021 12:12 PM

if you look closely at strut towers you'll see they are connected by a heavy sheet metal piece running under the windshield . the way the tanabe bar is connected
does stiffen that area , doesn't look like much but you definitely feel the difference as does any other braces you can put on the car . ultra racing makes a few pieces
and go a long way in chassis response whether you autocross the car or not . the stiffer the body shell the better . the car is much more settled on the highway , feels firmer , and the steering is better . i put 195/55/15's with 15 by 7" rims / 40mm offset on mine . that helped a lot too .

Fuelish 02-15-2021 12:56 PM

I've done little to mine, the one I can notice is the Progress RSB...and tint all around except the windshield, well worth here in east TN......also have.put on a leather wrapped milled aluminum shift knob - factory 6 spd knob felt like a video game toy, Tanabe Medallion axleback - sounds great, anyway, WeatherTech floor liners and window visors, Sumho cool air or air cooler or whatever it's called, replaces the factory piece at the edge of the hood, and K & N drop in filters. Nothing extensive, nothing horribly expensive (at the time of purchase, anyway).....only thing I really want to do, if these damn Coop tires will ever wear out is upgrade from 185/70s to 205/50s or 55s. It's enough fun without encouraging me to tempt fate