Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Brake Rotors (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/97636-brake-rotors.html)

KByers12 02-20-2018 01:56 PM

Brake Rotors

Who's replaced them and who uses what? Right now I'm looking at $450 for a brake job from my mechanic because the rotors are $100+ each... So I'll likely tackle them myself

Anyone have any recommendations?

GAFIT 02-20-2018 02:44 PM

I don't have a GK Fit, but for quality replacement rotors, it's hard to beat Centric Premium's from Rock Auto. There's a discount code floating around here somewhere for Rock Auto to help a bit and those rotors are a safe bet.

Add a set of Centric Posi-Quiet pads and you're just over $100 for both rotors and pads.

LeFreakyBone 02-20-2018 03:31 PM

I did my brakes a few months back.
I used EBC slotted rotors and EBC Green Stuff pads.
I got the rotors from TH Motorsports, $125 shipped for the pair.
The pads I purchased from a seller here for half the cost.

GAFIT 02-20-2018 03:46 PM

Also a fan of EBC slotted. If looking to upgrade, that's my favorite.

We had them on our Fit for many miles and were happy with the performance. Have a set to go back on it soon.

n9cv 02-21-2018 04:26 AM

I have used Centric and EBC. Both highly recommended. Rockauto,com is the place to look first. Then compare them to what you might find elsewhere. Do not forget the shipping costs when comparing.

KByers12 02-21-2018 03:34 PM

Awesome, thank you guys very much. I've still got another 3-5K on the current pads, so I've got some time, but $110 each is just unreasonable... Especially since CarID has them for like $15 each (which I'm absolutely not doing).

TaubBaer 02-21-2018 06:02 PM

EBC Brakes USR850 USR Series Sport Slotted Rotor - $109 for a pair
EBC Brakes DP22041 Greenstuff 2000 Series Sport Brake Pad - $77 for a set of 4

Ordered from Amazon. You can find a friend or local shop who will install for you for less on the labor. I paid my friend $100, it took him less than 1.5 hours.

KByers12 02-21-2018 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by TaubBaer (Post 1393855)

Ordered from Amazon. You can find a friend or local shop who will install for you for less on the labor. I paid my friend $100, it took him less than 1.5 hours.

I'll take a look. I'll end up doing them myself, I just needed something that wasn't so pricy. Thanks!

john21031 02-22-2018 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by KByers12 (Post 1393753)
Who's replaced them and who uses what? Right now I'm looking at $450 for a brake job from my mechanic because the rotors are $100+ each... So I'll likely tackle them myself

Anyone have any recommendations?

I went with Bosch from O'Rilleys. They are 54$ each. My brake performance improved a lot. 40000 miles later and still working great.
Highly recommend.

Plus, it's a lifetime free replacement.

n9cv 02-22-2018 05:29 AM

I have a friend who is a rural mail carrier using her own Colorado. Brakes last her 6 to 7 months. She has tried several different brands and sees little difference in longevity. So now she uses Autozone lifetime warranty pads and changes them herself. AutoZone just hands them to her and she returns the old ones the next day or two after she has exchanged them. Her husband is a pilot and friend at my airport so she just pulls into one of our hangars and changes them. It is less than an hour job for her because she usually only needs pads. The pads are free (warranty) and she is out 1 hour labor. It is interesting that the rear drum shoes seem to wear forever.

2Rismo2 02-22-2018 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by n9cv (Post 1393915)
I have a friend who is a rural mail carrier using her own Colorado. Brakes last her 6 to 7 months. She has tried several different brands and sees little difference in longevity. So now she uses Autozone lifetime warranty pads and changes them herself. AutoZone just hands them to her and she returns the old ones the next day or two after she has exchanged them. Her husband is a pilot and friend at my airport so she just pulls into one of our hangars and changes them. It is less than an hour job for her because she usually only needs pads. The pads are free (warranty) and she is out 1 hour labor. It is interesting that the rear drum shoes seem to wear forever.

Brake bias is like 90 front to 10 rear or something like that for most vehicles so that's why the rears hardly need replacing. Don't quote me on the numbers, it's just "generally speaking". I'm surprised she uses her own vehicle and not provided by USPS. I'm in a rural area, and they have right hand drive Jeeps that do mail delivery.

My wife's grandmother is in Griffith, IN. We just visited that area a few months ago.

woof 02-22-2018 01:43 PM

I remember being told as a general rule that rear drums generally last until the third front disk replacement and then all four wheels need work. That seems to have held true for me on my previous cars.

GAFIT 02-22-2018 02:07 PM

That sounds about right. Ours at near 200k are now in need of new shoes. In my mind, that also shows how little they are doing.

In comparison, I've had rear discs that need pads at around 100k. Those vehicles also stopped better.

n9cv 02-23-2018 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by 2Rismo2 (Post 1393928)
Brake bias is like 90 front to 10 rear or something like that for most vehicles so that's why the rears hardly need replacing. Don't quote me on the numbers, it's just "generally speaking". I'm surprised she uses her own vehicle and not provided by USPS. I'm in a rural area, and they have right hand drive Jeeps that do mail delivery.

My wife's grandmother is in Griffith, IN. We just visited that area a few months ago.

I am totally sure about rural mail carriers. Are different than USPS employees. I think they are treated like contract employees but I am not sure exactly how. I have read that they are paid by either the number of stops they make or the number of pieces they deliver.

In her case she drives her own vehicle and is paid for it's use somehow. At the same post office there are also some of those right hand drive jeeps. I have seen about 4 of them parked at the post office when they are closed. There are a lot more than 4 routes out of there. Also I have seen both private vehicles and USPS vehicles deliver to my house. Maybe someone here knows the story. I don't..

I have heard the the front to back ratio is 70% to 75%, but what do I know

Griffith is in the next county west of me. I grew up in Hammond which is right next to Griffith. A High School friend of mine's brother was Police Chief there at one time.

payluder 08-17-2018 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by TaubBaer (Post 1393855)

Are these part number for 2016 fit? Im trying to source rotor and pads for my 2016 fit thank you

evilchargerfan 08-17-2018 06:01 PM

I was playing around with the axion site the other day and made a fun discovery.

GE8 section:
Honda - 2008-2014 Honda Fit GE - Page 1 - Axion Industries
+
GK5 section:
Honda - 2015+ Honda Fit GK5 - Page 1 - Axion Industries

I clicked on the hawk brake pads ... and the same exact PN works all across the board for 2nd gen and 3rd gen. what a time to be alive!

HB418F.646
2008+ Honda Fit Hawk Performance HPS Brake Pads - Axion Industries

evilchargerfan 08-17-2018 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by payluder (Post 1410189)
Are these part number for 2016 fit? Im trying to source rotor and pads for my 2016 fit thank you

these would be pretty bad ass

2007-2014 Honda Fit 11" big brake kit

Alfa38 08-18-2018 08:54 PM

The pads are the same fitment, the question that I have is are the caliper mounts the same? If so, then the big brake kit would work. Next time I have the wheels off the GE or the GK I'll take some pics and measurements I guess.

eulogy 08-18-2018 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by evilchargerfan (Post 1410198)
I was playing around with the axion site the other day and made a fun discovery.

GE8 section:
Honda - 2008-2014 Honda Fit GE - Page 1 - Axion Industries
+
GK5 section:
Honda - 2015+ Honda Fit GK5 - Page 1 - Axion Industries

I clicked on the hawk brake pads ... and the same exact PN works all across the board for 2nd gen and 3rd gen. what a time to be alive!

HB418F.646
2008+ Honda Fit Hawk Performance HPS Brake Pads - Axion Industries

I cosign the Hawk HPS pads. I was going to try EBC pads when i did my brakes recently, but decided to play it safe and install what i have before in the past since i was happy with them. the Hawk HPS arent anything monumental...but definitely have more power over stock pads, great service life, and even better - leave about half the brake dust than OE pads do on my rims.
Just a heads up if it matters to anyone....Idk if the GKs have return springs on the pads, but this specific model of Hawk pads do not have the holes in them for the springs. there is another model number that is basically the same pad and includes the holes, which i discovered after i ordered them...but the return springs are unnecessary.