Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Rear end collision in 2015 Fit (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/97643-rear-end-collision-2015-fit.html)

propositionjoe11 02-21-2018 05:35 PM

Rear end collision in 2015 Fit

Hi guys, new to the forum. I have been driving a 2015 Fit LX for the past few years and it has grown on me a lot. I upgraded from a Nissan Versa. I pretty much found the Fit superior in every single way. Anyway, 2 days ago my car was rear ended at a stop light intersection by a large full sized SUV. I was hit extremely hard, I actually crossed the entire intersection and luckily there was no on coming traffic.

The damage: Rear bumper, rear hatch, rear tail lights, rear underskirt, left suspension is depressed lower than the right (don't know if this is normal) and the left side passenger door plastic coverings for the frame have popped out of place (possibly indicating structural damage).

The other parties insurance company wants me to snap a photo and they would cut a check for the estimated damage. I don't see how they could get a full picture of the damage from a photo alone. I was just wondering if anybody else has had similar rear end damage? and if so what was the bill? Honda Fit parts/salvage seem to be kinda hard to find on the open market.

TaubBaer 02-21-2018 05:58 PM

Sounds like an totaled to me because I was rear ended with small damages but it cost other insurance $1495 to repair my car.

Other insurance should cover the cost or if it is totaled, it should cover the value of car before damages.

woof 02-21-2018 07:36 PM

Why not take the car in to an actual body shop and get a written estimate from the experts.

kenchan 02-21-2018 07:49 PM

accident101.. if the damage is significant get a police report, insurance and driver's license info (or pictures) of the offending party, contact info..

then give it to your insurance agent and talk to your claim center and LET THEM handle the claim. you'll take the car to a bodyshop or claims center OF YOUR CHOICE. your insurance adjuster will create the estimate and send off to the other party's insurance. kick off the repair, you'll get a check in the mail for your deductible reimbursement.

get the car back, then immediately trade it in before it shows up on carfax for max value, buy new car. :D GL!

propositionjoe11 02-21-2018 09:28 PM

Thanks for the replies! In my state the ratio for being considered totaled is 80% total value. Using KBB as a rough estimate it was considered to be at least $12,000. Would the cost of repairs really exceed $9600? Unless there is frame related damage I wouldn't think the damages could run that much, but of course I am no expert.

kenchan 02-21-2018 11:40 PM

honestly its hard to tell. have your adjuster evaluate your car for the estimate as milage, local labor rates, etc all come into play.

kenchan 02-21-2018 11:42 PM

ive had one car where an adjuster gave one estimate, my bodyshop started work and found even more problems under the panels and ended up totalling the car. estimate is just that.. an estimate.

so let the pro's do the judging.

john21031 02-22-2018 04:15 AM

Don't listen to this kind advice.

get the car back, then immediately trade it in before it shows up on carfax for max value
Or be an honest person and do not try to fraud the next buyer.
That will make for a better world to live in.

john21031 02-22-2018 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by propositionjoe11 (Post 1393883)
Thanks for the replies! In my state the ratio for being considered totaled is 80% total value. Using KBB as a rough estimate it was considered to be at least $12,000. Would the cost of repairs really exceed $9600? Unless there is frame related damage I wouldn't think the damages could run that much, but of course I am no expert.

These cars have no "frame", they are unibody construction, so any metal besides the doors and the rear gate that you damaged, is the body damage, which weakens it and is next to impossible to straight to the original tolerances. This car will never be restored to the original. I would personally consider getting rid of it unless you get to keep significant amount of money to offset these issues psychologically...

n9cv 02-22-2018 06:25 AM

They insurance company, not the state, determines when a vehicle is totaled. They look at the cost to repair plus other expenses like towing and storage. Then they also look at what the damaged vehicle will bring at auction. Crunch those numbers together and then find out whether it is a total.

They also have to pay you for the state sales tax on a total loss. If they ask are you going to buy a replacement car, the answer is always "yes". That tells them that they have to add in the sales tax to the payout.

Fits bring a fairly good price at auction because there are several shops in several states that cater to rebuilding totaled FITs. I personally know of 4 of them in S Carolina, Tennessee, Ohio, and Kansas. Three of them speak Spanish and one Russian. All of them have at least one English speaker to answer the phone and sell off the cars after they are rebuilt.

I tell you all of this because it will surprise you how quickly an insurance company will total a car. I suspect, without seeing it, that yours is totaled. I personally would let my company handle the claim and go after the responsible company to get their money back. In one case I had the responsible company (Allstate) low ball the estimate and try to get me to settle with me. I refused and took it to my company who fixed it and a couple of month later sent me a check for my deductible. I asked the adjuster / claims agent at the time how he would get the money back from Allstate after the low ball estimate. He said "simple. I put this on my desk and the next time Allstate has a claim against us, I deduct the amount of this claim and send them the difference with the paper for both together. "

If it is not totaled, make sure the rear alignment toe, camber, and ride height is correct. Frequently the real axle (it is not really an axle) gets bent and it is not adjustable. People do not realize there is a problem until many miles later when they start tearing up or wearing out rear tires. So if you keep the car, check the rear alignment BEFORE accepting it back as repaired.

kenchan 02-22-2018 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by john21031 (Post 1393911)
Don't listen to this kind advice.

Or be an honest person and do not try to fraud the next buyer.
That will make for a better world to live in.

haha. :D that was a joke, but ive done it multiple times. its not fraud by any means. point being, take carfax with a grain of salt as the system can take a while to update. just because you got hit doesnt mean you are mandated to keep the car. be smart, take opportunties when it comes and run with it. thats wat losers fail to do. be a winner.

kenchan 02-22-2018 08:01 AM

..afterall, as how i see it, buying used cars is buying someone else's problem. gotta pay to play.

woof 02-22-2018 01:48 PM

I would think that cars being written off because they were seriously rear ended would be particularly in demand at the subsequent auctions because the front end with the valuable engine, transmission, etc would still be in perfect condition.

wasserball 02-22-2018 02:44 PM

You are being too generous in your assessments to the obvious fault of the careless person who hit your car. I would fight hard to have the car totaled or sold as is after receiving fair compensation for both physical and medical damages. A repaired car is never the same even if it looked repaired and even if you are compensated in the repair along with diminished value.

2Rismo2 02-22-2018 02:48 PM

Have you called and reported the claim to your insurance company? Stop dealing with their company and deal with yours, unless you only have liability and then you do have to deal with their insurance. If it's drive-able, I would get it to a collision repair place and have them provide an estimate.

Was there a police report? Was vehicle towed? Do you have pictures you can post of the damage?

GAFIT 02-22-2018 05:31 PM

From what we've seen here, it's probably totaled. Does not take very much.

As everyone said above...call your insurance company and follow their steps for handling this. Do NOT do this by yourself and end up getting screwed with a shoddy repair job using inferior parts/supplies that are arranged by the other persons insurance.

ashchuckton 02-23-2018 11:34 AM

Seems the OP has left the building. I hope he chimes back in to tell us how this turned out. Lots of good advice given in this tread.

Ken- Buying a used car can save one many thousands of dollars. The first owner pays for much of the depreciation in value. But one must do their due diligence. Not everyone will spend the time to do that & it can bite em in the arse. Also remember this > how to tell if a car salesman is lying > His lips are moving.

kenchan 02-23-2018 02:11 PM

ash i don’t deny that at all and i’m sure there are many benefits. that is why there is a huge market for used cars.. and no market for used toilet paper.. i don’t think.

wasserball 02-23-2018 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by 2Rismo2 (Post 1393976)
Have you called and reported the claim to your insurance company? Stop dealing with their company and deal with yours, unless you only have liability and then you do have to deal with their insurance. If it's drive-able, I would get it to a collision repair place and have them provide an estimate.

Was there a police report? Was vehicle towed? Do you have pictures you can post of the damage?

regardless whether you have collision and comp or not, dealing with your insurance when it is not your fault may result in a ding against you, and maybe a future premium to your insurance cost. I would keep my insurance out of this one when you know it is the other party's fault.

fitchet 02-23-2018 08:58 PM

The only thing I would say is this...

"The other parties insurance company wants me to snap a photo and they would cut a check for the estimated damage."

Given the sound of how bad that accident seems to of been? NO way I agree to this. This damage has to be correctly and fully evaluated.

This accident was NOT your fault, the other party is undeniably fully responsible, you want full and complete restoration and compensation.

Let's put it this way....
My 2010 Honda was rear ended, and suffered very, very, very minor damage. The license plate frame was barely cracked, and there literally was the slight indentation in the paint of the bumper of the offending vehicles license plate.

But when I took it for estimates, most of the estimators said they could only give me a general estimate, and that full evaluation could only really happen once they removed the bumper and actually took a look behind it. In a collision like that there can be a lot of hidden damage you can't see...such as frame damage etc...

Although luckily in my case, the damage was so slight it ONLY was the bumper-and some of the foam behind it- still removing and repainting and repair was nearly a $1000 operation.

So I'd proceed with great caution and realizing the other guys insurance does NOT have your interest at heart.

Really the first step is assessing as clearly as possible what the damage IS...and what the cost for repair would be...or whether the vehicle is totaled.

But one thing I would NOT agree to do, is accept a check for compensation, sent by the other guys insurance, based on a photo sent based estimate.

Do you have your insurance company involved? They have some interest in making sure you recover as much as possible, as you are paying them to insure the same vehicle.