Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   DIY Tinting? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/97647-diy-tinting.html)

QuiGonQuinn 02-21-2018 09:57 PM

DIY Tinting?

Tinting your windows yourself, at home. Can it really be done well? I have seen so many cars with ugly bubbles in their tint. How much time, skills, tools, etc do you really need to do it right at home? Is it just better off going to a shop? Any recommendations for brands and tools?

kenchan 02-21-2018 11:38 PM

ive done it in the past but it is a pita. i let my tint guy do my cars using llumar pinnacle (formulaone)

n9cv 02-22-2018 06:27 AM

I have been afraid to try it.

GodFather 02-22-2018 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by n9cv (Post 1393919)
I have been afraid to try it.

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. There is no try - its DO or DO NOT.

On a happier note, I saved hundreds on Geico. LOL

2Rismo2 02-22-2018 07:34 AM

I've learned over the years that sometimes it's better to pay the pros for certain things. I've seen too many cars with awful purple/bubbly tint to want that on mine.

fitchet 02-22-2018 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by QuiGonQuinn (Post 1393885)
Tinting your windows yourself, at home. Can it really be done well? I have seen so many cars with ugly bubbles in their tint. How much time, skills, tools, etc do you really need to do it right at home? Is it just better off going to a shop? Any recommendations for brands and tools?

Take my answer for what it is worth. Because I've never attempted it.
BUT...my feeling is, if it was at all easy, you wouldn't have so many businesses that specialize in installing tint, and charge accordingly.

Also IMO nothing looks worse, than badly installed tint. So? My opinion is, I'd just pay to have it done right. It's something that looks good when done right, and increases value. When done wrong, it looks horrible and makes the vehicle look like a craigslist reject.

kenchan 02-22-2018 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by GodFather (Post 1393924)
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. There is no try - its DO or DO NOT.

On a happier note, I saved hundreds on Geico. LOL

hahaha!!! LOL :rotfl:

CommanderSlug 02-22-2018 02:48 PM

I tinted my own rear windows and also the back window. I ordered a cheap kit online for $25. Took me some 2 hours [first install] and then another 3 hours to fix my mistakes [read ahead] and after I discovered something called youtube and binge watched some, I got the noble prize for the worst tint ever installed.

At first I did not know that you have to split the film to expose the adhesive side, and I was wondering why the tint is coming off after 1 or 2 days. Also, the rear window on the GK is curvy, and it was impossible to get it right without butchering the film.

I don't have any bubbles, but the film I got is el cheapo stuff and scratches easily. But after half of year, it is holding up pretty good actually minus countless microscraches from window going up and down.

However, it's my first tint, my work and I am darn proud of it, because I did it. So I kept it as is. I still have half roll left .... for a future attempt.

QuiGonQuinn 02-22-2018 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by fitchet (Post 1393926)
Take my answer for what it is worth. Because I've never attempted it.
BUT...my feeling is, if it was at all easy, you wouldn't have so many businesses that specialize in installing tint, and charge accordingly.

Also IMO nothing looks worse, than badly installed tint. So? My opinion is, I'd just pay to have it done right. It's something that looks good when done right, and increases value. When done wrong, it looks horrible and makes the vehicle look like a craigslist reject.

This is all very true. Sounds like I'll be saving my pennies and letting the pros at it

Anyone have any quotes they've gotten for their tint jobs? Curious as to how much I should expect to pay

kenchan 02-23-2018 06:24 AM

150-500. depends on film and which glass you want done. llumar is on the GK’s rear side glass and rear and 200 is wat i paid. i did all glass minus windshield on my other 3 cars with llumar pinnacle 450-500 each car.

kakrohn 02-25-2018 04:59 PM

Just bought a Groupon for $120 for the best shop in town to put on 20% Suntek standard tint on my Civic. Also have 18% Suntek Carbon tint on our Fit, but was around $300. Why waste time & money to have a subpar DIY installation?

Originally Posted by QuiGonQuinn (Post 1393885)