3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

lane camera

  #1  
Old 02-25-2018, 02:54 PM
New Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: oregon
Posts: 1
lane camera

have a 2018 fit sport would like to add lane camera i can get new light switch and camera. what i need to no is this then just bolt on..will i need other things like wiring new head unit
thanks for the help
 
  #2  
Old 02-27-2018, 03:35 PM
wmo168's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: South Florida
Posts: 68
Search Honda Civic and see if people can install Lane watch, I believe it need new harness on the door to mirror, new mirror bottom housing, camera, signal stack and some kinda of ECU programming?
 
  #3  
Old 02-27-2018, 04:04 PM
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bay area
Posts: 164
Imo much more effort and money than its worth. I purposely bought an LX to avoid having all that extra bullshit. But to each their own...
 
  #4  
Old 02-27-2018, 05:12 PM
wasserball's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Friendswood, TX
Posts: 682
Originally Posted by Cichlid_visuals View Post
Imo much more effort and money than its worth. I purposely bought an LX to avoid having all that extra bullshit. But to each their own...
It is difficult for me to stop trolling, but I'm in with you. LX drivers unite.
 

Last edited by wasserball; 02-27-2018 at 05:17 PM.
  #5  
Old 02-27-2018, 05:14 PM
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bay area
Posts: 164
Originally Posted by wasserball View Post
It is difficult for me to stop trolling, but I'm in with you. LX drivers unit.

Also, the LX's are the lightest/fastest/most efficient 😎
 

Last edited by Cichlid_visuals; 02-27-2018 at 06:40 PM.
  #6  
Old 02-27-2018, 06:36 PM
Member
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 249
When I went to test drive it was in an EX, and the sales guy kept trying to talk up all the extra safety gizmos. Still can't understand why I would need a camera pointing somewhere I can just turn my head and see. Not like this car has tiny windows.
 
  #7  
Old 02-27-2018, 06:39 PM
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bay area
Posts: 164
Originally Posted by hasdrubal View Post
When I went to test drive it was in an EX, and the sales guy kept trying to talk up all the extra safety gizmos. Still can't understand why I would need a camera pointing somewhere I can just turn my head and see. Not like this car has tiny windows.
Plus if you really just cant be bothered to look over your shoulder, a nice convex broadway mirror is only 15 bucks or so.
 
  #8  
Old 02-28-2018, 09:03 AM
fitchet's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,839
Even though I own a EX, with a Lane Assist Camera, I can say I agree often with the idea that "Less Can Be More".

BUT.....

I would say, that I like the Lane Assist Camera.
It clearly is NOT a replacement for mirrors, or turning your head and looking.

But driving is often a split second, moment to moment action.
I don't depend on Lane Assist at all, but I like it in conjunction with doing all the regular things.
That is I check my mirrors, turn my head...and also like being able to quickly glance at Lane Assist...just in case I missed something.

It's just a tool, like a blind spot mirror or otherwise. Technically, you may not absolutely NEED it, but if it saves you ONCE....or avoids an accident, just one time? It was worth it.

So I'm PRO-Lane Assist.

Besides, these little camera's are pretty cheap to produce. I think back-up Camera's and Lane Assist like tools are just part of NOW...and the future. I'm betting someday pretty soon it will be hard to buy any new vehicle that doesn't have these features.
 
  #9  
Old 02-28-2018, 03:53 PM
Member
5 Year Member
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dunedin, Florida
Posts: 1,175
Originally Posted by fitchet View Post
Even though I own a EX, with a Lane Assist Camera, I can say I agree often with the idea that "Less Can Be More".

BUT.....

I would say, that I like the Lane Assist Camera.
It clearly is NOT a replacement for mirrors, or turning your head and looking.

But driving is often a split second, moment to moment action.
I don't depend on Lane Assist at all, but I like it in conjunction with doing all the regular things.
That is I check my mirrors, turn my head...and also like being able to quickly glance at Lane Assist...just in case I missed something.

It's just a tool, like a blind spot mirror or otherwise. Technically, you may not absolutely NEED it, but if it saves you ONCE....or avoids an accident, just one time? It was worth it.

So I'm PRO-Lane Assist.

Besides, these little camera's are pretty cheap to produce. I think back-up Camera's and Lane Assist like tools are just part of NOW...and the future. I'm betting someday pretty soon it will be hard to buy any new vehicle that doesn't have these features.
What he said. I love both the the lane watch and backup cameras. They aren't substitutes, but they add to the arsenal. I've definitely avoided accidents with both.
 
  #10  
Old 02-28-2018, 07:35 PM
kenchan's Avatar
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
iTrader: (4)
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OG Club
Posts: 20,283
Originally Posted by skyjcky View Post
have a 2018 fit sport would like to add lane camera i can get new light switch and camera. what i need to no is this then just bolt on..will i need other things like wiring new head unit
thanks for the help
at this point save your money. while it is a neat feature, its not worth the hassle imho. my EX has it and it is nice to have, but my other cars dont have it and it doesnt bother me.

plus, arent you missing the push-start button and keyless entry? meh, keep it basic, save up and get the car with all the bells next time.
 
  #11  
Old 03-01-2018, 12:00 AM
Member
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 249
Here's a question for the guys that like it, was it awkward at first looking at the screen, considering the position? On the test drive, it seemed unnatural enough looking down and then back up for a head check, that it made figuring out what I was looking at take longer than if I had just turned my head in the first place. Wondering if you get used to it after a few weeks/months, or if it just worked from the start for ergonomics?

I do appreciate the backup camera, though. With the crash tests getting more and more stringent, the beltline of modern cars keeps rising, and making the windows smaller. By the time you get to the back of the car, it's like a letterbox compared to the 90's.
 
  #12  
Old 03-01-2018, 07:23 AM
Member
5 Year Member
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dunedin, Florida
Posts: 1,175
I found it useful right away. Despite looking over my shoulder, I would have missed cars in my blind spot without it. In heavy traffic it eliminates the need to take attention away from what's going on in front of you when you turn your head, for example, the car in front inexplicably braking while you're looking behind you.

As for the backup camera, the wide angle lets me see cross traffic I couldn't possibly see when backing out between the inevitable Suburbans I get parked between, while the close view has gotten me into impossibly small spots.
 
  #13  
Old 03-01-2018, 07:29 AM
kenchan's Avatar
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
iTrader: (4)
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OG Club
Posts: 20,283
i thought it was convenient from the getgo cause i dont have to look past my passenger on in the front seat.

got use to it very quickly as i noted where the red guidelines were vs where the actual car adjacent to me was. i think it's great.
 
  #14  
Old 03-04-2018, 12:16 PM
QuiGonQuinn's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 64
Originally Posted by hasdrubal View Post
Here's a question for the guys that like it, was it awkward at first looking at the screen, considering the position? On the test drive, it seemed unnatural enough looking down and then back up for a head check, that it made figuring out what I was looking at take longer than if I had just turned my head in the first place. Wondering if you get used to it after a few weeks/months, or if it just worked from the start for ergonomics?

I do appreciate the backup camera, though. With the crash tests getting more and more stringent, the beltline of modern cars keeps rising, and making the windows smaller. By the time you get to the back of the car, it's like a letterbox compared to the 90's.
It took me a little getting used to. I also added convex mirrors to my wing mirrors. So now I have conventional mirror, convex mirror, head turn, and lane camera, plus situational awareness . Additional safety features are a plus. And once you get used to using them, they become seamlessly integrated into your habits. the backup camera actually took me longer to get used to, and trust. while I still do a quick glance behind me before backing, I trust the camera and distance lines to back me safely.
 
  #15  
Old 03-04-2018, 03:42 PM
bach's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: metro chicago
Posts: 536
I don't see it as must-have by any means and don't use it much except when I want to keep an eye on the bike lane in the city, where it's awesome. If Honda asked me I'd tell them to put the dollars in a better sound system.
 
  #16  
Old 03-04-2018, 08:05 PM
kenchan's Avatar
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
iTrader: (4)
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OG Club
Posts: 20,283
or use stronger metal in the a-pillar and reduce the ridiculous width blocking forward side view.
 
  #17  
Old 03-04-2018, 08:56 PM
Member
5 Year Member
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dunedin, Florida
Posts: 1,175
Originally Posted by kenchan View Post
or use stronger metal in the a-pillar and reduce the ridiculous width blocking forward side view.
The camera points back to compensate for the B and C pillars. I'll take narrower A pillars though.
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Hector Uriel Burela
General Fit Talk
2
01-05-2018 07:06 AM
ck42
2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum
18
08-27-2017 03:35 AM
Cruciarius
2nd Generation (GE 08-13)
5
02-27-2017 10:37 PM
Ron Belisle
3rd Generation (2015+)
1
11-16-2016 10:55 PM
Cruciarius
Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs
4
06-07-2016 04:50 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lane camera


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.