Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Drop spindles? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/97690-drop-spindles.html)

Autotrajikfit 02-27-2018 06:59 PM

Drop spindles?

Hello forum members. I am a new user and a new fit owner. I did my best and couldn't find anything related to what I'm trying to do. I just got a 2018 fit sport and I would like to lower it. I know there are plenty of post about lowering springs and new suspension. But I'm trying a different route for now. What I would like to know is, if there are drop spindles available for our vehicles? I've searched eBay, car id, skunk, etc for this part and couldn't find anything. Do they make drop spindles for these cars? I've talked to a shop in my home town and told me if I was going to lower my car, drop spindles would be a good way to go, wouldn't mess with the wheel geometry like changing out springs would. (If that makes any sense). Considering this is my first new car, I want to do this right. If there is a thread on this already could you please point me in the right direction.

kenchan 02-27-2018 08:16 PM

i’ve not read about drop spindles for fits. kind of a hot rod approach

hasdrubal 02-27-2018 09:59 PM

How low do you want to go, that you would have problems with the suspension geometry? There's no change on the rear, since it's a trailing arm, and the front seemed to barely change camber at all with a 1" drop. Actually had to use camber adjustment bolts to keep the tires from rubbing in the fenders, but I have wider wheels/tires than stock.

The experience of many owners here who have used springs/shocks to lower their cars doesn't seem to point towards any geometry problems beyond tire rubbing.

sjd 02-28-2018 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by kenchan (Post 1394490)
i’ve not read about drop spindles for fits. kind of a hot rod approach

I agree. I have a 1965 GM pickup and only know of RWD American cars and trucks from the 60’s to the 80’s being able to utilize drop spindles. The reason being is that you can lower them a lot (anywhere from 2 to 8 inches) and lowering springs aren’t enough by themselves while retaining proper suspension travel, geometry, etc.

Lowering springs or coilovers are what you want for the Fit depending on your budget.

Autotrajikfit 02-28-2018 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by hasdrubal (Post 1394500)
How low do you want to go, that you would have problems with the suspension geometry? There's no change on the rear, since it's a trailing arm, and the front seemed to barely change camber at all with a 1" drop. Actually had to use camber adjustment bolts to keep the tires from rubbing in the fenders, but I have wider wheels/tires than stock.

The experience of many owners here who have used springs/shocks to lower their cars doesn't seem to point towards any geometry problems beyond tire rubbing.

I want to drop about 1in in the front and 1.5 in the back. Thinking about it I guess it wouldn't change much in terms of geometry. I just don't want my warranty to be voided if I get a set up other than spindles. I know I probably shouldn't be messing with it if I care about the warranty, but I would like my car to look nice. Are their any springs or suspension you recommend?

hasdrubal 03-01-2018 12:11 AM

From what I've seen here on the forum, it looks like the dealer has to show how your modification caused extra wear or damage before denying a warranty claim. For example, if you swap springs for lower/stiffer ones, and your shocks wear out, they could say the shocks weren't meant for damping that spring rate. If the gas struts on the rear hatch wear out, it's not really linked to the suspension, so they ought to be covered.

Swift springs seem to be a popular choice, there's a few threads if you search that give people's install and driving experience. I was short on funds when I went to buy springs, so I got Megan Racing instead, about half the price and the specs show they are about the same drop. Think it was about 1" front and rear.

If you want to change to a shock with stiffer damping at the same time, the Koni Orange for the previous generation fits with no issues. Since you've got a new car, it might not be worth it, just wait until your stock shocks are worn out. I got my car with 60k miles on it, so I did springs/shocks at the same time. No idea for how long the Konis last compared to stock.

Coilovers are an option, but the ones made for racing tend to be really stiff spring rate, so the ride quality on the street would suffer. If you don't care about handling enough to do corner weighting, then probably not worth it.

mike410b 03-01-2018 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by hasdrubal (Post 1394605)
From what I've seen here on the forum, it looks like the dealer has to show how your modification caused extra wear or damage before denying a warranty claim. For example, if you swap springs for lower/stiffer ones, and your shocks wear out, they could say the shocks weren't meant for damping that spring rate. If the gas struts on the rear hatch wear out, it's not really linked to the suspension, so they ought to be covered.

Swift springs seem to be a popular choice, there's a few threads if you search that give people's install and driving experience. I was short on funds when I went to buy springs, so I got Megan Racing instead, about half the price and the specs show they are about the same drop. Think it was about 1" front and rear.

If you want to change to a shock with stiffer damping at the same time, the Koni Orange for the previous generation fits with no issues. Since you've got a new car, it might not be worth it, just wait until your stock shocks are worn out. I got my car with 60k miles on it, so I did springs/shocks at the same time. No idea for how long the Konis last compared to stock.

Coilovers are an option, but the ones made for racing tend to be really stiff spring rate, so the ride quality on the street would suffer. If you don't care about handling enough to do corner weighting, then probably not worth it.

This is going to come off as blunt, but I don't think you know enough about suspension to be making this sort of post.

I've not seen anyone use a drop spindle on any Honda.

The old 88-00 Civics could use drop forks, but that's a different thing & doesn't apply to Fits.

hasdrubal 03-01-2018 12:23 AM

That is kind of blunt, but I think it's also a misunderstanding. OP was asking about drop spindles, and so far myself, sjd, and kenchan are saying don't use drop spindles for a Fit. It kind of looks like you're mistaking my advice to use the same springs and shocks everyone else is using for the first post in the thread.

If I'm mistaken, though, let me know- could be a chance to learn something.

carotman 03-05-2018 04:08 PM

The only drop spindles I've seen for Hondas in my life were for the older civics.

I don't think there is enough of demand to produce drop spindles for the Fit.