Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Armrest lid latch part number? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/97695-armrest-lid-latch-part-number.html)

ToddF 02-28-2018 01:57 PM

Armrest lid latch part number?

The latch on my armrest lid broke the other day. Anyone know the part number, so I can order a replacement? All I can find is a part number for the entire lid.
2016 LX

Update: The dealer says the latch isn't sold separately. You have to buy the whole lid for $200.

sjd 02-28-2018 03:56 PM

I was just about to say that it probably isn’t sold separately. I’d look used from a wrecking yard.

wasserball 02-28-2018 04:43 PM

Without trying to figure out how you broke it can it be fixed using gorilla glue? That stuff bonds virtually everything.

Razor_Burn 03-01-2018 10:23 AM

Repaired one of the covers on a seat belt latch I broke when cleaning my car, and if it's made out of the same plastic as the covers on the seat belt latches then using glue probably won't work to well. The molding mark on the seat belt cover said PP+PE, a blend of polypropylene and polyethylene. These plastics do not bond well with most glues. Locitite claims to have a plastic glue that will, but I've heard the results are mediocre at best.

What I did was use super glue to form an initial hold. Then I used a small piece of ABS filament from a 3d Printer and a Dremel tool to stir weld it back together along the seams. The ABS has a melting temp high enough that the PP+PE melt first and the ABS doesn't get mixed in. The results aren't pretty but it's functional.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fit...b1d5b57ef7.jpg

Razor_Burn 03-01-2018 11:02 AM

Broke and repaired a seat belt latch cover on my fit. The mold markings indicated it was made of PP+PE it is likely the same plastic used on the armrest latch. These plastics do not like most glues. Loctite makes a two part glue for bonding plastic that has mixed reviews on whether it works or not.

For the seat belt latch cover I super glued it to temporarily hold it in place and used a short piece of ABS filament from a 3d printer mounted in a dremel tool to stir weld the pieces back together. ABS Melts at 220C while PP+PE is somewhere around 160 so the ABS shouldn't mix in. It doesn't look pretty when you are done, but at least it holds.

fitchet 03-02-2018 10:48 AM

Yep, if I was a gamblin' man..my bet would be Honda makes you buy the entire lid. But I could be wrong.

So I think you have all the advice you can use.
Either junkyard salvaged.
OEM full lid replacement.
OR....the wonderful world of bonding agents and their success's and pitfalls.

Good Luck.

ezone 03-02-2018 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by ToddF (Post 1394553)
The latch on my armrest lid broke the other day.
2016 LX

Update: The dealer says the latch isn't sold separately. You have to buy the whole lid for $200.

Is the car out of the 3 year/36,000 miles bumper to bumper warranty?

ToddF 03-07-2018 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 1394756)
Is the car out of the 3 year/36,000 miles bumper to bumper warranty?

Unfortunately, I just passed 36,000 miles a couple months ago. Didn't even realize it until I took it in for an oil change and they mentioned I had just a couple hundred miles to go on the warranty.

wmo168 03-08-2018 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by ToddF (Post 1395108)
Unfortunately, I just passed 36,000 miles a couple months ago. Didn't even realize it until I took it in for an oil change and they mentioned I had just a couple hundred miles to go on the warranty.

If it pass 36k recently Honda usually can do a courtesy warranty as a one time thing.. I would try go service and talk to the adviser and see what they can do,.. maybe they give you a discount. Doesnt hurt to ask..

2Rismo2 03-08-2018 11:15 AM

How did the lid latch break? I think this is the 2nd thread I've seen where it broke so just curious.