Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Maintenance Minder Question.... (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/97727-maintenance-minder-question.html)

fitchet 03-07-2018 08:26 AM

Maintenance Minder Question....

I personally like using the Maintenance Minder. I go by it for my Oil Change intervals, and I do the additional sub-menu maintenance.

But here is my question.

Recently I got the B-1, maintenance minder code, once my Oil reached 15% life.
Had the work done, which was mostly Oil Change, Tire Rotation, and lots of "inspection".

OK...now..
What if for whatever reason, I decided to change my Oil early? Let's say, I change it when the maintenance minder only reads 50% life?
If I reset it...to 100% after changing the Oil, does it mess up the maintenance minder sub-menu recommendations? Is it going to think I'm a cycle ahead on the sub-menu things like Engine Filter and Pollen filter replacement and/or fluid changes?
Or if you reset it before the Oil Life get's to 15% percent or less, does it "know"...you've ONLY changed the Oil and Filter and NOT addressed the other sub-menu issues?

kenchan 03-07-2018 09:18 AM

i’m pretty sure it will just recount from the time you reset it.

robs 03-07-2018 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by fitchet (Post 1395070)
OK...now..
What if for whatever reason, I decided to change my Oil early? Let's say, I change it when the maintenance minder only reads 50% life?
If I reset it...to 100% after changing the Oil, does it mess up the maintenance minder sub-menu recommendations? Is it going to think I'm a cycle ahead on the sub-menu things like Engine Filter and Pollen filter replacement and/or fluid changes?
Or if you reset it before the Oil Life get's to 15% percent or less, does it "know"...you've ONLY changed the Oil and Filter and NOT addressed the other sub-menu issues?

I change mine every 5,000 miles. Usually 60%. I'm at 82k miles. I have NEVER had a maintenance reminder. Was recently at the dealer and he said that since is do this so often, I'll probably never see one.

Why every 5,000? Easy to remember. I'm an old guy. Just the lay of the land.

Carbuff2 03-08-2018 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by fitchet (Post 1395070)

If I reset it...to 100% after changing the Oil, does it mess up the maintenance minder sub-menu recommendations?

To directly answer your question

Yes, the sub-menu recommendations will be dismissed whenever you manually reset the MM. So, you'd better make a note of them if you 'save' them for a later date.

On our '07, we kinda gave up on the sub-menus and just follow the recommendations/schedule in the Service History book. (We DO rely on the MM wrench for oil change intervals.)

Of course, we keep good records of maintenance performed and future maintenance (sub-menus) indicated.

fitchet 03-08-2018 07:45 AM

Thanks Everyone.
That is what I thought. It's NOT sophisticated enough a system to separate the operations. So if I never let my maintenance minder run down to "alert" status...15% Oil Life or less, and just kept changing my Oil and Filter and resetting, it would NEVER alert me to anything.

Good to know.

n9cv 03-08-2018 08:48 AM

If you are not using the Maintenance Minder for oil changes then why reset when you change oil? Just let it run and when it does trip you will be able to see the sub codes and know when you need to do things like change the trans fluid etc.

fitchet 03-08-2018 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by n9cv (Post 1395159)
If you are not using the Maintenance Minder for oil changes then why reset when you change oil? Just let it run and when it does trip you will be able to see the sub codes and know when you need to do things like change the trans fluid etc.

That is the other option.
But as per my original post, I am using it as both a "maintenance minder" and also as my Oil Change indicator.

It would probably be easier, if one wants to separate the information, to simply do Oil Changes on your own pace, and let the Maintenance Minder run, as simply a reminder about "everything else".

2Rismo2 03-08-2018 09:20 AM

It would be helpful if Honda published the maintenance interval of things like most car manufacturers.

For example I read an article on the CR-V AWD that it had alerted the rear differential needed to be done around 15k. Apparently the car mag asked Honda and it's really 20K, but there wasn't an interval for 20K so they would just alert early. Seems like a way to churn out more service if it's really not needed at that time.

Currently I'm just following the MM on oil changes but ignore it for tire rotations. I do those every 5K. I check the engine and cabin air filters periodically and just shake them out. I'm at 55K and still haven't been alerted on the CVT fluid yet.

CommanderSlug 03-08-2018 03:41 PM

I kept track of my minder's activity and noticed that it always alternates from A to B. Due to my driving coupled with manual tranny, my minder runs out to 0% around 9k kms.

But this one time something strange happend. 15% comes on with the regular A1 alert, and after a few miles, the 1 disappeared, and then re-appeared a while later, only to disappear again; strange.

But the tranny service showed up some 12k kms past 60k miles, which I found rather late.... possibly due to my resets at 0%. Here's what I recorded so far [all kms]. Mileages indicate when 0% resets were done. I noticed a trend of my MM coming on earlier and earlier with time.

A1 11586
missing info
A1 54500
B1 63500
A1 73350
B12 82000
A1 93775
B1 103500
A13 112855
B12 120990
A1 128950

To add fuel to the fire ... I never follow the MM. I just keep track of it.... and the dealer never serviced my car ... except for all the warranty work.

midas81 09-15-2022 05:02 PM

Old fit

I’ve changed my oil every time it hit 0%. Even at times I’ve gone a few thousand beyond that. My fit has 330k miles and I drive it on highway on flat road. Usually get about 10,000 miles between every oil change. No problems for 13 years. Using 5-20 oil, nothing special. If you drive it gently it will be absolutely fine.

wasserball 09-18-2022 08:58 PM

My 2 cents worth. 2017 Fit LX CVT at 100,600 miles. I change my own oil and filter. Without the undercover in place it is a snap since I am able to reach the oil plug and the filter w/o lifting the car. Normally, I change oil/filter at 20% and the MM never never comes on until this time I wanted to see if I could go 10K miles before changing. The MM came on at 15% when I had driven 10K miles. Previous changes at 20% showed about 9500 miles between changes. I drive mostly highways cruise set at 62-63 mph to allow for trucks to pass me without them backin up up faster cars in the fast lane.