Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Electrical Hiccups... (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/97728-electrical-hiccups.html)

KByers12 03-07-2018 12:25 PM

Electrical Hiccups...

Hey all,

I've experienced a couple electrical "hiccups" since Saturday. Shortly after shutting my car (2015 EX-L) off it goes completely unresponsive. Won't start, won't lock/unlock, electrical systems won't even turn on. On Saturday this happened and everything lost power including my Infotainment system but this morning, when it happened again, it seems like my Infotainment system retained power. I've got no battery or alternator warnings but jiggling the battery terminals seemed to help both times so I'll clean then tomorrow morning but has anyone else experienced anything like this? Of course it starts happening 10K after my bumper to bumper....

nobutada55 03-07-2018 09:30 PM

It's a 3 year old battery, I assume it doesn't like to keep a charge you can have it tested at a dealer or AutoZone/Advance Auto. I live in Mass too, my cheap batteries don't last very long with the temperature cycles.

justanewbie 03-07-2018 10:00 PM

doesn't the lead acid require addition of distilled water every now and then?

KByers12 03-07-2018 11:19 PM

I think I figured it out... It happened again tonight in the middle of the snow storm and I guess it's been getting progressively loose and kept shifting... Tightened it earlier...we shall see.

Carbuff2 03-08-2018 06:31 AM

Like justanewbie said, you should be checking your electrolyte in the battery cells. The level can get low, especially after summer's heat. (Of course, you only notice an issue when its cold & snowing outside, because that's the way of the world.)

It might be too late for your present battery. Consider a replacement...

kenchan 03-08-2018 07:28 AM

3 yr old battery shouldn’t die unless you drive short distances and listen to your stereo with the engine off. the loose terminal came to mind.

3 yrs is a good time to check the water levels though if you know how. not difficult to do but understand the fluid is very acidic so wear gloves and eye protection.

n9cv 03-08-2018 08:57 AM

Your symptoms point to a loose or dirty battery cable. Clean them thoroughly with a good battery brush and reinstall tightly. If the failures are still there remove and clean the other ends of the cables.

This symptom is not a low on acid / water problem. But still open and fill the cells with distilled water ($.88 per gallon at Walmart) if they are below the split rings inside. I check the battery cell levels on every oil change.

Carbuff2 03-08-2018 11:57 AM

Since 'jiggling' the terminals seems to help, perhaps the terminals are too small for the clamps. (Especially, if the battery has been replaced with an American one.)

I've needed to install battery terminal shims on BOTH our Fit and CR-V. Before, I could swivel the terminals even with the clamps as tight as they would go.

2Rismo2 03-08-2018 12:34 PM

Soda can works well as shims, or your favorite brew ;)