Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Japan Lags in Connected Car Technology Due to Lack of Domestic Demand (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/97979-japan-lags-connected-car-technology-due-lack-domestic-demand.html)

TorontoBoy 04-17-2018 07:27 AM

Japan Lags in Connected Car Technology Due to Lack of Domestic Demand

Japan lost the smartphone battle. Now it lags on connected cars

This is a Bloomberg article, so syndicated around the world. SCMP has no paywall, so thought it convenient to use them.

Japanese consumers prefer to use their smartphones instead of their car's head unit, and I do agree. This lack of Japanese domestic demand means that Japanese brands are lagging in providing these options to international markets.

This may be the reason that Honda is lagging in upgrading their head units, as well as over the internet software upgrades that are common in other car brands. I still do not see Honda stepping up to provide software updates. Two years have gone by and my car requires no updates? Impossible.

Instead of choosing connectivity services built into the dashboard, Japanese drivers prefer to hook up their smartphones to the car’s systems to, for example, listen to streamed music. That means the data flows through the smartphone provider, typically Apple Inc. or Google, denying the car companies a massive opportunity. The data generated from smarter and connected cars will create a market as big as $750 billion by 2030, according to an estimate by McKinsey & Co...

Toyota started its connectivity company in 2016 and aims to have 70 percent of new cars on the system by 2020. Nissan said last month it plans to offer connectivity for all new Nissan, Infiniti and Datsun cars sold in key markets by 2022. Honda Motor Co. hasn’t announced a target, but has said it’s working with SoftBank Corp. to develop new connected technologies.
Softbank is a large Japanese IT development company.

kenchan 04-17-2018 07:38 AM

the 18's come with carplay/android auto. update your car.

2Rismo2 04-17-2018 08:11 AM

I'm the same way. I prefer to use my phone for streaming etc. For me, it's easier and more economical to periodically replace my phone versus getting stuck with what's in the car. For example, why would I periodically pay to update the GPS map in the car, when Waze/Google are updated automatically, for free and have up to date traffic data?

kenchan 04-17-2018 12:11 PM

exactly. update your car and use carplay.

LDHR1 04-18-2018 12:52 PM

Car play won’t be truly worthwhile until it connects wirelessly like it does in some other brands.

calafricano 04-18-2018 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by kenchan (Post 1398599)
the 18's come with carplay/android auto. update your car.

+1 on the update

wanako 04-18-2018 03:15 PM

maybe I'm missing something, but is there an actual software update for the car or do you guys mean "update = buy new car"?

2Rismo2 04-18-2018 03:22 PM

Until the next cool wizbang doodad and have to "update" again? No thanks. My car is paid for and cell phone does all I need it to do.

Uncle Gary 04-18-2018 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by wanako (Post 1398709)
maybe I'm missing something, but is there an actual software update for the car or do you guys mean "update = buy new car"?

They are telling you to buy a new car. I guess you’re now supposed to trade your car as often as you trade smartphones.

kenchan 04-18-2018 07:49 PM

i went from iphone6s to iphone7 and my buddies all went iphone10 and we all use the same carplay headunits. so no, you can keep your car longer.. lol

TorontoBoy 04-22-2018 01:11 PM

With any phone or computer you can do an update over the internet, yet when you buy a car you recommend I repurchase a vehicle after 2 years? Are you guys nuts?

If a $50 smartphone can update over the internet, then the Honda line of vehicles should be able to do likewise.

Not everyone drinks from the Apple Koolaid cooler. There is a whole 'nuther world out there called Android.

kenchan 04-23-2018 08:30 AM

if that matters to you that much, yah. get the 18 GK. it comes with carplay and android auto, no?

you bout a bare bone 15 base MT with non-touch radio per your sig. not sure wat the fuss is. gotta pay to play.

Bigbadvoodooguru 04-26-2018 12:44 AM

Or don't blatantly lie to your customers that your 2015 will support Android auto and car play, and then bait and switch you half a year later with an announcement that it won't, then redact all marketing material that clearly stated it would be available. Yay Honda.

wasserball 04-26-2018 06:49 PM

There is an incorrect interpretation here. The Japanese prefer to use their smartphone, not because they lag behind. The latest idea is not always necessary or ideal.

sjd 05-02-2018 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by LDHR1 (Post 1398698)
Car play won’t be truly worthwhile until it connects wirelessly like it does in some other brands.

Pretty sure BMW is the only one currently offering wireless CarPlay and you have to pay them for it.