Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Fourth annual visit. (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/98199-fourth-annual-visit.html)

exl500 05-23-2018 02:15 PM

Fourth annual visit.

I have 28K miles on my EX, and it's time for my fourth annual visit.

Since I don't get the maintenance minder before the year is up, I am asking y'all to be sure I understand what should be done. Yes, I read the manual, but I'm not clear. Since this is the first car I've owned in 36 years, I'm a bit of a neophyte.

Seems to me I need an oil change (obvious).
Tire rotation (obvious).
Oil filter change (this seems to have been changed every year).
Cabin filter change (was done once 2 years ago).
Brake fluid change (never done, and the manual says 3 years, so I'm overdue).
And I'll have them change the wiper blade inserts, since they charge like $9.00.

I'm not handy, and all of this will probably come to $80-$100, so it's worth it being done.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

exl500 05-23-2018 02:26 PM

So, of course I just moved the car and the Minder came on! It says 12, which means I think I have it all, except for the air cleaner filter needing to be replaced too. Comments still welcome.

woof 05-23-2018 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by exl500 (Post 1401164)
I'm not handy, and all of this will probably come to $80-$100, so it's worth it being done.

I'm thinking this will be a lot more than that but let us know after it's done.

exl500 05-30-2018 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by woof (Post 1401182)
I'm thinking this will be a lot more than that but let us know after it's done.

Of course you're right. I booked on line, and the quote is for $120 before the brake fluid and wiper blade replacements. So I'm guessing $175.

mike410b 05-30-2018 11:53 AM

Do the cabin & engine air filters yourself. Honestly they're a five minute job between the two of them, requiring ZERO skills.

evilchargerfan 05-30-2018 01:34 PM

cabin air filter was as hard as changing a roll of toilet paper. def, do that one yourself!

kenchan 05-30-2018 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by mike410b (Post 1401587)
Do the cabin & engine air filters yourself. Honestly they're a five minute job between the two of them, requiring ZERO skills.

zero skills or any tools. u do need fingers..

fitchet 06-06-2018 12:18 PM

My second maintenance minder alert and the dealership "service rep" comes out and says they recommend the Engine Air Filter and Cabin Air Filter be replaced. At a cost of over $100.
Seriously?
The only thing I learned that day, is I'm not taking my vehicle back to that service department in the future.

Both Engine Filter change, and Cabin Filter change are really incredibly basic, easy things to do.
You can consult youtube if you feel the need to be shown exactly how to do it. But it's about as user friendly as any maintenance today.
I have no problem letting a service department do it, at a fair and equitable price. But it is NOT something I feel I should be charged $70-$80 plus in "labor".

Your experience may vary. But don't let a dealership "scare" you into having it done at a high price as if it is something difficult to do or time consuming.

Changing the wiper blade on the rear wiper was legitimately a harder task.

exl500 06-06-2018 03:32 PM

Thanks all.

I did watch YouTubes of air and cabin filter changes and had visions of breaking something.

We're not handy: I successfully changed the battery in the key fob once, but the second time my partner exploded it into a dozen pieces. Two hours later it was thankfully reassembled!

I had it all done today, and the labor to replace the brake fluid, oil, oil filter, air and cabin filters, and wipers came to $38.00! I did the math several times because I was shocked how low it was. Courtesy Palm Harbor, Florida.