3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Cross shopping a 2018 Fiesta ST

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 02:40 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vinylengraver
This car does 0-60 in 8 seconds flat (at least mine does) FiST manages 7ish... is it really such a big difference to call it " quick" while Fit is regarded as "slow"?
I am not so sure about that.
ure right, theyre both slow.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
They are both slow, but 1 second in 0-60 separates economy and sport. Heck...1 second in the quarter mile is monumental. That's roughly 10 car lengths in the quarter. We're talking you can barely see what kind of car is beating you by the end.

Don't believe me? Take a ride in my 12 second car and then my 10 second car. While those are two seconds apart the difference is enjoying your mocha latte vs not thinking about anything other than keeping it straight.

That same thing holds true as you go faster and faster.

In short, the Fit is slow. The Fiesta ST is less slow. Less slow is better.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
Fit is not slow.
Fiesta ST is not slow.
Mitsubishi Mirage is not slow.
No modern car is slow.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
I agree with you mike. Me thinks we are all spoiled by all the HP cars today have.

To my thinking the drag strip isn't a real world comparison. Maybe an auto-x would be more accurate. At least to me it is a combination of HP & nimbleness that makes a car good or not.

I have a friend with a Fiesta ST & it is a great package. It does everything better than a Fit with the exception of interior space & cargo capacity.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
I went to an autox with a friend. He in a lowered 96 Miata on Dunlop DZ102, he was 4 seconds faster than a stock new Camaro on tires of similar grip. With 180 less horsepower. Both of them were autoxing for the first time.

But the Miata takes three seconds longer to get to 60 MPH *shrug*

Old 06-04-2018, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ashchuckton
Maybe an auto-x would be more accurate.
Maybe if your goal is to have a car good in parking lots.

I'd substitute auto-x with road racing and then I'd agree. I've done auto-x a few times and never come close to the speeds I run daily. That being said, I live in the mountains so my perspective is a bit skewed.

Power, grip, and durable brakes are what I want.

Old 06-04-2018, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member
Lets face it.

No performance metric is indicative of how a car is in the real world.

I could easily go 500,000 miles in the Fit and never ONCE need to go full throttle. Never once brake to its limits. Never once push the car to the edge of the tires' adhesion when cornering & on and on.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:25 PM
I just got my 2016 Fit EX last week for $14,500 canadian dollars. The car is flawless.
I test drove a 2015 FiST with identical mileage, on sale for $19,900 two weeks ago and it had some issues.
The difference between those two cars was obvious, yet each f them had some advantage in some way or another.
For year-round all-purpose daily driver FIT cannot be beat, period.
To me FiST was not worth five thousand price premium, no matter what.
I am pretty sure for that money I can get my FIT sorted to near perfection.
And that FiST was not perfect by any stretch.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Maybe if your goal is to have a car good in parking lots.

I'd substitute auto-x with road racing and then I'd agree. I've done auto-x a few times and never come close to the speeds I run daily. That being said, I live in the mountains so my perspective is a bit skewed.

Power, grip, and durable brakes are what I want.
I debated saying a twisty mountain road. Even on track a well driven car down on power with good handling can embarrass a much faster car. So much is driver dependent.

I like your wants, but I've never been hard on brakes. Learning on lower powered cars I tend to be a momentum driver. Brakes only slow you down.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:23 PM
My commute to and from work is 100 miles. I work 3x a week plus overtime usually once a week. My drive is around 30% highway and the rest is city. With my 2015 EX 6 speed I have no problem passing cars especially in the twisties only problem is getting 10 mph within the speed limit. I went for a test drive with an appointment. I waited half an hour and was told that the Fiesta ST they had did not have a plate yet so I can't do a test drive (It was memorial day). I was given another appointment for the following day. I did not come back. It was Ford Koeppel in Woodside,NY there were several customers at this Ford showroom, the Honda Show room that was directly across it (where I bought my car) was packed with people.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:06 PM
5 Year Member
Enjoy your new Fit. They are fine cars & very likely more reliable that the Fiesta ST.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member
Perception is everything.

No matter what ANY one wants to tell me, our Fit is S L O W! No one has ever, and I mean ever, rode in it and thought it was even quick. It's slow by every measure I can think of since I don't have a time machine to teleport it back to 1980 when other vehicles were as slow as it.

Edit...doesn't mean it's a bad car or that we don't like it. I'm just very comfortable NOT being politically correct. I call things what they are.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
I must take issue with one specific claim above.

The Mitsubishi Mirage is slow :P

Old 06-04-2018, 07:45 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
fujisawa- haha

Originally Posted by mike410b
Fit is not slow.
Fiesta ST is not slow.
Mitsubishi Mirage is not slow.
No modern car is slow.
is dat wat u tell urself before going to sleep? lol

Old 06-05-2018, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
My S2000 is 3 seconds quicker 0-60 than my Fit.

The Fit is plenty.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
I think I can count on one hand the cars where I felt it was actually unsafely slow for highway merging or an interstate with an uphill. Even my 106hp del Sol is more than fine, and I am pretty sure that is slower than the Fit. Some ponies may have escaped.

Saturn SL1, 1993. This is the worst car I've ever driven. The owner ran snow tires all year, that didn't help.
Geo Prism, 1992. With a 3 speed, this guy was often reduced to 1st gear on uphills with 4 people on board. It's possible this is the slowest car I've driven, but not the most miserable.
Honda Civic Hybrid, 2003. This was actually a great car to drive, super high quality and comfy at speed, it just struggled with widely spaced gear ratios.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
I have a 2010 Fit Sport 5MT and a 2014 Fiesta ST with RECARO and summer tire package. Fiesta ST is much more fun to drive than the Fit if you appreciate a fun driving car.

For long distance trips the Fiesta is a f*kin@ stiff car. Never stops bouncing around. I have stock suspension, wheels and tires. The cabin is cramped and trunk doesn't hold much with the seats up. Fit is much noisier on the freeway but has much better ride compared to the ST. My Fit and the Fiesta has both been reliable. No issues whatsoever. Neither had any warranty claims. Really depends what you want. Fun, fast(ish), cramped, with a kidney jarring ride and great HVAC describes the ST.

I have a Ford Edge 2.0T AWD as a company car, so I don't do long trips with the ST anymore. I only put 1000-2000 miles per year in the ST since the company car was delivered to me. Now I just drive the ST around for fun.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
None of that is true.

The Fiesta and Focus ST are not long for the American market. Car salespeople generally know less than an informed consumer.
our salesman for the fit told us the Fit is not sold in manual, and why would anyone want a manual vs cvt ?? we must be out of our minds
so yes totally useless statement from most salespeople.

As for the speed of a Fiesta ST, yes its faster than a Fit but compared to even normal sedans, the Fiesta ST is a slow car. A 2004 Acura TL can walk all over an ST so whats the point?
Manual Fit shows to be 0-60 in 8 seconds
Fiest ST 0-60 6.7 seconds

For 1.3 seconds given no turbo, and smaller engine, the Fit does a great job.
Plus at 6.7 seconds its not a terribly fast car on the road.

We had a base Fiesta and it was okay, check engine lights before 100k km, ball joint issues, drive shaft clunking, poor interior panels, rust at the back.
Only good thing it had was good fuel eco, capless gas tank, and cold ac. The rest was a nightmare.
Got rear end totaled and paid for our 3rd gen Fit.

Last edited by Linuxglobal; 06-06-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Howdy
I have a 2010 Fit Sport 5MT and a 2014 Fiesta ST with RECARO and summer tire package. Fiesta ST is much more fun to drive than the Fit if you appreciate a fun driving car.

For long distance trips the Fiesta is a f*kin@ stiff car. Never stops bouncing around. I have stock suspension, wheels and tires. The cabin is cramped and trunk doesn't hold much with the seats up. Fit is much noisier on the freeway but has much better ride compared to the ST. My Fit and the Fiesta has both been reliable. No issues whatsoever. Neither had any warranty claims. Really depends what you want. Fun, fast(ish), cramped, with a kidney jarring ride and great HVAC describes the ST. ...
I echo the same thoughts.... I have the 2015 EX CVT and a 2014 Fiesta Recaro ST, mostly stock but with COBB tune. Yes, the ST is way more fun to drive, more power and tighter handling and a more jarring ride. Love the Fit for practicality and cargo. We take it camping. The ST is my fun commuter and local cycling destination hauler (for only 1 bike).

Also just sold my 2009 Fit 5 speed which was a great college commuter for my daughter.

If I lived alone and could only have 1 car.... tough decision, but would probably keep the Fiesta ST over my '15 Fit EX since it provides plenty of smiles per mile over the smaller percentage of time I max out cargo requirements in the Fit. Additional trade offs beside cargo would be lower MPG and most likely, less long term reliability of the Ford. So far, really no issues or warranty claims on either.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:23 AM
5 Year Member
I posted this in another forum but there will be a turbocharged version of the 2019 Honda Fit. I am hoping (PLEASE) that it still has a CVT transmission. If so, I will be back. I already plan on getting one.

Honda Fit Turbo

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 06-11-2018 at 09:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Cross shopping a 2018 Fiesta ST