Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   I'm getting new tires. Do I tip the installer? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/98288-im-getting-new-tires-do-i-tip-installer.html)

exl500 06-05-2018 09:13 PM

I'm getting new tires. Do I tip the installer?

Sorry to be so uninformed, but this is my first car for which I've gotten new tires.

Uncle Gary 06-05-2018 09:40 PM

In 40 years I never have. You mean I was supposed to?

woof 06-06-2018 12:01 AM

Not unless he serves you a glass of wine while you are waiting, and not the cheap stuff!

USDM 06-06-2018 12:15 AM

It's not customary to do so, but you can if you'd like.

kenchan 06-06-2018 05:48 AM

i have not.

exl500 06-06-2018 07:33 AM

Thanks everybody. For the record, I can assure you I'm practiced in tipping for glasses of wine!

wasserball 06-06-2018 08:14 AM

Only if you are generous and having a good day.

QuiGonQuinn 06-06-2018 08:59 AM

it's not customary to. Tire installers get paid a decent wage (unlike servers who make less than min wage). But if they do something above and beyond, and excellent, I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you did. Some companies may not even allow it.

fitchet 06-06-2018 09:04 AM

I never have.
IMO...you're being specifically charged for the service. The value for doing the installation should be reflected in that same charge. They aren't doing it for free.

Seems like lately when you should tip is becoming a more broad and vague definition. I've never tipped a mechanic or tire installer.

Where do you draw the line? Do you start tipping for any and all service related interactions?
I tip my hair cutter/stylist. I tip at restaurants.

My question is...

Do you tip at "Buffets"?

Seems like at a typical 'All you can eat" buffet, you are getting your own food, usually your own beverage, and the "waitress" is only clearing the table.
I usually do leave a tip, but I feel like I should really be tipping myself, since I''m the one that went to get the food, the silverware, and the beverages.
But I tip anyway...

Another pet peeve of mine is restaurants that tell you how much you are going to tip BEFORE you even have purchased anything. Right on the menu they will tell you how much of a minimum gratuity you are going to leave.
That seems counter to what a "tip" is suppose to be all about, which IMO was in the past, not an automatic happening. It was meant as a gratuity for good or above average service.
Now a days, it seems like tips are just expected, nearly required in so many different situations.
I think I'm just going to get a T-Shirt made that says "Cheap Bastard" that way I won't surprise anyone when I don't tip.

mike410b 06-06-2018 12:15 PM

No. They make a living wage.

exl500 06-06-2018 03:23 PM

Thanks again, everyone. I wanted to be sure I was doing the right thing, and I figured the answer would be no tip.

But I do tip at buffets, even if I'm rarely at one ;-)

Uncle Gary 06-06-2018 04:20 PM

To be sure, I did once “tip” the guy who did the overhaul on my Harley-Davidson, but he did an extraordinary job with it.

Fiiit 06-06-2018 05:20 PM

I dont think so

fitchet 06-08-2018 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by exl500 (Post 1402168)
Thanks again, everyone. I wanted to be sure I was doing the right thing, and I figured the answer would be no tip.

But I do tip at buffets, even if I'm rarely at one ;-)

I usually leave a few bucks too...
But last time I was at a buffet I looked around and noticed that it seemed it was about 50/50, some people leaving a few bucks, some people just walking out.

I worked in the Food Service Industry, early in my life, and it is tough work. That usually and often doesn't pay too well. So I really don't hesitate to tip in restaurants.

Fuelish 06-08-2018 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by fitchet (Post 1402303)
I usually leave a few bucks too...
But last time I was at a buffet I looked around and noticed that it seemed it was about 50/50, some people leaving a few bucks, some people just walking out.

I worked in the Food Service Industry, early in my life, and it is tough work. That usually and often doesn't pay too well. So I really don't hesitate to tip in restaurants.

I tips wait staff in restaurants well, if they've performed their job well...which is about always. As far as buffets, I might leave a buck or two....the oriental buffet we go to brings you your beverage..LOL...as far as tire installers, no.

exl500 06-08-2018 03:12 PM

Got my tires today. It was obviously not a tip thing. Splurged and got Michelin Premiers. Immediately see the improvement. 28K miles on the OEM.

CommanderSlug 06-09-2018 05:58 PM

I tipped my installer 5 bucks once. It was a run down shop and they always give me a good price. He probably needed it lol.

max503 06-09-2018 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Fiiit (Post 1402175)
I dont think so

I tipped a guy who found an elusive short on my old Honda 125.