Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Just bought '15 Fit EX -- what should I change out in terms of maintenance items? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/98295-just-bought-15-fit-ex-what-should-i-change-out-terms-maintenance-items.html)

zenmasterfit15 06-06-2018 01:26 PM

Just bought '15 Fit EX -- what should I change out in terms of maintenance items?

A bit more explanation: Got a '15 Fit EX to replace my beloved '10 Sport which was tragically lost in January to a pickup's bumper when I rapidly developed pneumonia over the course of a day, had no idea how sick I was, and passed out right as traffic slowed in front of me. Woke up with an airbag in my face. Nobody injured (pickup wasn't even DENTED) but since the truck's bumper was one inch higher than my Fit's, my Sport died that day with 175K perfect miles on it.

Ok, lamentations and exposition over. Got the Fit from a non-Honda dealership. Had it privately inspected and it passed, but I was wondering: Should I change out the CVT fluid? Already planning to switch whatever oil is in it with Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 filter today. Do any of you do engine flushes? I know my way around cars but CVTs are new to me, so since it seems to be behaving itself, should I leave well enough alone? I just don't tend to trust anyone but me to maintain my vehicles.
Advice would be welcome. Thanks for helping out a noob to the Forums!
S
"zenmasterfit15"

SilentStray 06-06-2018 01:39 PM

First, CONGRATS AND WELCOME!

Second, how many miles are on it?

Did the car come with a CarFax report or maintenance log? If it didn't, I would suggest checking over everything yourself and actually changing all fluids to start "fresh". I purchased a 2015 Honda Fit EX a week and a half ago form a Honda dealership with CarFax reports and still did all these checks and found that even though it passed their extensive inspection i still had to replace filters and top of fluids.

Check out my thread for quick info: LINK

zenmasterfit15 06-06-2018 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by SilentStray (Post 1402154)
First, CONGRATS AND WELCOME!

Second, how many miles are on it?

Did the car come with a CarFax report or maintenance log? If it didn't, I would suggest checking over everything yourself and actually changing all fluids to start "fresh". I purchased a 2015 Honda Fit EX a week and a half ago form a Honda dealership with CarFax reports and still did all these checks and found that even though it passed their extensive inspection i still had to replace filters and top of fluids.

Check out my thread for quick info: LINK

Funny thing: Your thread was the very first thing I both printed and saved as a .pdf in my "Fit Stuff" Dropbox folder. Well, off to change the oil, then probably to the store for CVT fluid. Question: I was told by a guy I trust at an Advance store that Idemitsu fluids are in fact OEM Honda, just factory branded rather than Honda branded. Can anyone verify? Idemitsu was listed as OEM ATF at a couple of parts places I visited for my late '10 Fit.
It's a couple bucks cheaper per quart, and saves me the hassle of going to a dealer I don't really like to get branded fluids.

Thanks for the really quick reply!

s

woof 06-06-2018 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by zenmasterfit15 (Post 1402151)
Do any of you do engine flushes?

NO. I am not aware of any car manufacturer recommending a flush for anything. You will not see such a thing in an owner's manual. I lean towards the opinion that flushes were devised by service shops simply looking for ways to upgrade "drain and refill" to a higher level of profitability.

fitchet 06-07-2018 07:08 PM

Do any and all things you can do, want to do, and that will make you more comfortable. It's your vehicle now. You have a right to feel good about how you are maintaining it today, and going forward. Even if some fluids get changed prematurely.

zenmasterfit15 06-07-2018 07:43 PM

Thanks for the quick and helpful replies, everyone. Oil is changed (and I'm going to have a conversation with the dealer. Minder at 100% oil life, oil is almost black. They reset the oil change minder without changing anything). Also found the cabin air filter utterly filled with leaves and etc, and the same for the engine air filter. All are either changed or will be by tonight, and CVT fluid drain/refill is tomorrow with fluid that is OE.

Then I'll feel better. And THEN I'll have a talk with the dealer. I'm a Google Guide and Yelper, and they don't want the most recent review to be mine, with the mood I'm in towards them.

zmf

SilentStray 06-07-2018 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by zenmasterfit15 (Post 1402273)
Thanks for the quick and helpful replies, everyone. Oil is changed (and I'm going to have a conversation with the dealer. Minder at 100% oil life, oil is almost black. They reset the oil change minder without changing anything). Also found the cabin air filter utterly filled with leaves and etc, and the same for the engine air filter. All are either changed or will be by tonight, and CVT fluid drain/refill is tomorrow with fluid that is OE.

Then I'll feel better. And THEN I'll have a talk with the dealer. I'm a Google Guide and Yelper, and they don't want the most recent review to be mine, with the mood I'm in towards them.

zmf

Lol, I'm so glad you changed everything and double checked. Can't trust anyone but yourself these days. If the dealer included the price of all theses changes or checks in their final sale price, deffinantly have a talk with them.

Uncle Gary 06-08-2018 08:10 AM

I’m addition, you might change the wiper blade inserts. I use OEM Honda refills. They’re cheap enough and easy to change. See the owner’s manual for how to do it.

fitchet 06-08-2018 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Gary (Post 1402297)
I’m addition, you might change the wiper blade inserts. I use OEM Honda refills. They’re cheap enough and easy to change. See the owner’s manual for how to do it.

Good Idea.
My experience is especially check the rear wiper. On my Fit they seem to be wearing out about twice as fast as the front wipers.

I think it's because the back hatch get's so much dirt and grime kicked up on it. But also if you start the vehicle up and go in reverse with the wipers on, the rear wipers will automatically turn on for a few swipes.
If the rear wiper is damaged or torn? You can end up scratching your back windshield.
So I would recommend to everyone they check that rear wiper and realize it's likely to wear a lot faster than the front wipers.