3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Rust spots on rear doors

Old 06-13-2018, 05:04 AM
Rust spots on rear doors

This is what I saw today: rust spots on the front edges of both rear doors. Is it a general quality issue or is it caused by stone chips? When I took a first look the paint seemed not to be damaged. Maybe I have to take a closer look.

What is your opinion? Anyone else with this problem?

I am from Germany and my Fit is not even 3 years old. Warranty expires in september. I will talk to my dealer on friday.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:21 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
hey ill take rust spots over flaking paint (my GK) any day.. lol

its a quality issue which the dealer may or may not do anything about.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
I'd say it's a poor quality paint job which Honda and most other manufacturers are noted for. Talk to your dealer but they'll probably point out that the paint warranty only covers penetration through the metal (like a hole) and not surface rust which is considered just cosmetic. Yeah, the manufacturers warranties are designed to allow them to get away with poor paint jobs while their marketing guys can advertise about their rust protection warranties as if they meant anything.

There are questions though that you should ask yourself: Do you wash your car often enough? Do you wax your car to protect it, especially in the area which was affected? Is salt used on the roads in your region in winter? etc.

You will probably end up sanding off the rusted area yourself, applying a rust primer, color match coat and a clear coat top.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
Mine has rust spots on the lower door jamb, and as of this year in the interior-facing part of the door. 2012, which I admit not new now, but only 35K miles on it.

Lame. My 1996 honda is only just starting to show rust issues at over 20 years old. But. Also not surprising. It's the cheapest thing Honda makes, and it IS just cosmetic for now. But yeah, not designed for a 30 year service life by any means.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:23 AM
5 Year Member
I don't know if I totally blame Honda.
From what I've read, all automakers have been moving towards using more environmentally safe paints.
And they all seem to not have the durability of the old paint.

It may just be that the paints used in 1996, were a lot more durable.

I had premature paint issues with my last two newer vehicles. Both from different manufacturers. I'm to the point where I actually believe it's more new paints, and new clear coats designed to be more environmentally safe.

Hopefully, this will all improve with time.

PS.
My 2016 hasn't demonstrated this problem yet, but I'll keep an eye open. I don't expect sterling durability. Seems to chip pretty easy.

Last edited by fitchet; 06-18-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
Hopefully, this will all improve with time.
Doubt it. I'm rusting faster than the del Sol. :P

Old 06-19-2018, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fujisawa
Doubt it. I'm rusting faster than the del Sol. :P
Actually I meant, I hope "Environmentally Friendlier" paints improve with time.
Yeah, we're all stuck with the paint we have.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:02 AM
Rust spots on door, me too

Yep, same. Front of rear door on driver side so far.
My car is a 2016, just barely 3 years old.
Strange it's always the same spots. Just took Ducky in to my dealer for oil change this a.m., and service writer said it shouldn't be happening and will "see what they can do."

Old 03-14-2019, 10:13 AM
Not sure if this applies for the rust spots

Honda warranty says body should be covered against rust for 5 years, no mileage limit. But is says "from the inside out." Not sure what that means! Isn't that how rust works?!
Here's the wording:
Rust Perforation Limited Warranty
Honda will repair or replace any body panel on your vehicle that rusts from the inside out. This coverage extends for 5 years with no mileage limit.

Hopefully that applies to you in Germany as well!

https://automobiles.honda.com/fit#

Old 03-14-2019, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
The key word there is "perforation" which means a hole right through the metal. For surface rust you're almost certain to only get the "too bad, so sad" song from Honda. I assume that the inside out thing means that they're trying to exclude rust which starts on the outside from stone chips and the like. That pretty much neuters their warranty and makes it worthless since rust from the inside out usually takes much longer to develop and the warranty period will be long gone before you notice anything.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:53 PM
sjd
5 Year Member
Could it be industrial fallout? Very common on new cars. My white Civic Si is the worst for it.

https://allthatgleams.co.uk/car-care...at-is-fallout/

If it isn't fall out, could they be chips rusting? Could someone have hit the door on something over the years? If so, then that's not Honda's fault as they need to be touched up.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sjd
Could it be industrial fallout? Very common on new cars. My white Civic Si is the worst for it.

https://allthatgleams.co.uk/car-care...at-is-fallout/

If it isn't fall out, could they be chips rusting? Could someone have hit the door on something over the years? If so, then that's not Honda's fault as they need to be touched up.
Every spring the rear of my white Fit is covered with what looks like little specks of rust. The fact that they occur on the plastic bumper as well as the lift gate tells me they’re flakes of rust coming off the road, having fallen from other rusty cars during the winter. They clean off in the spring with a clay bar and some polish.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary

Every spring the rear of my white Fit is covered with what looks like little specks of rust. The fact that they occur on the plastic bumper as well as the lift gate tells me they’re flakes of rust coming off the road, having fallen from other rusty cars during the winter. They clean off in the spring with a clay bar and some polish.
That's known as rail dust. I remove it with by pouring a bit of the liquid form of Bartender's Friend on a cloth and wiping off the spots.
Carpro Iron X Iron Remover Carpro Iron X Iron Remover
also removes it but the Bartender's Friend is cheaper.

Old 03-22-2019, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
Rust not generating visible holes? Guess not covered by warranty. Anyway, I always treat my rust spots with WD40 and Honey Goo or chain lube... been doing that for years and they do a great job at keeping rust from spreading.

Old 04-15-2020, 04:20 PM
Same spots for me and in the same place for me. Was this ever resolved? And if so how?

Regards