3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

The damned splash shield

Old 06-21-2018, 04:55 PM
The damned splash shield

A couple weeks ago, I was driving down the interstate and the splash shield came loose and started dragging. While searching this forum, it seems to be a common problem. Anyhow, my brother managed to secure it back on with a few screws and zip ties. However, all those plastic screws were gone.

Well, I procrastinated getting it to the dealer to get it properly (professionally) secured, and last night on the way home from work, it started raining so hard, I couldn't see the street in front of me. I ended up driving through a large puddle and it literally bent the shield backwards so that the front right side of it was scraping the pavement as I drove.

This morning, I got underneath the car and was able to bend it back enough and secure it with duct tape to stop the dragging. Later, I took it to the dealership, and their shop got flooded last night, so they were unable to lift it up to see if any other damage occurred. However, they gave me an estimate just to replace the part. They want $450 for that big chunk of plastic and $300 in labor! 5 hours of labor...when the oil change guys take it on and off in 5 minutes! The guy doing the estimate said there's a possibility it could be bent back to shape enough that all I would need would be the fasteners. I will have to take it back to them on Monday so they can get a better look at it. I'm wondering if it's even worth it. Should I just take it off? I have a feeling there will always be issues with it. Has anyone bought one somewhere else besides the dealership? I found this one online... https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...ad=47584901292

Thanks for hearing my rant!

Old 06-21-2018, 07:36 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
easy way is to just remove the thing and keep it removed. there are members here dat just got fed up with it and removed it entirely.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:25 PM
Remove it. The design is poor and it attaches to other plastic pieces which allows it all to flex.

If if you donít break it, the oil change places will.

I dont like the idea idea of salt spray getting up there, but I also look back at my previous vehicles that had no splash shields and there were no ill effects.

If we want To be logical letís think of the worst thing we could come up with. Nasty rock hits oil pan and punctures it? Tow bill and new pan is probably less than what you were quoted. Rust maybe? But the body is under coated. Subframe rusting? Seems unlikely, look at old Hondaís still on the road. Just thinking out loud... sorry to ramble.

one other topic brought up is aero benefit and mpg. I havenít had my splash shield the past 2 months and havenít noticed a difference in MPG. To be more specific Iím only missing the center piece that has to be removed for oil change. The little lip/flap on the front is there and the pieces that wrap up around the sides of the motor and create the wheel wells.

Last edited by Helios; 06-21-2018 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:18 AM
I actually just reattached mine today with bumper clips from Amazon and screws I bought from Home Depot. It looks look 2 of the clips that they screw into are missing, but I figured Iíd at least see if this holds.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:32 AM
5 Year Member
subframe will rust. it’s normal. they only make those things to last 7-8 yrs (as in meet structural integrity specs) under the worst conduction like no wash the entire life of vehicle in a snow belt state. . if no salt and washed regularly it should last a very long time.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:36 AM
Originally Posted by kenchan View Post
subframe will rust. itís normal. they only make those things to last 7-8 yrs (as in meet structural integrity specs) under the worst conduction like no wash the entire life of vehicle in a snow belt state. . if no salt and washed regularly it should last a very long time.
I agree. Take your car through a touchless wash throughout the winter to make sure you get the underbody sprayed (which is common at least here in the midwest) and you will not see any issues.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:36 AM
I've seen these dragging under fits on the highway frequently. Everytime i change my oil i just ziptie the damn thing back on. Those "professional" buttons it comes with are worthless. For science i've only replaced the ones that have fallen off- so far i'm up to 3 zip ties per oil change.

i dont want to do away with it entirely because a part of me believes it helps avoid random pockets of air at highwayspeeds. Which allows for better aero and all the goodness that brings. On that note, most of my miles are highway miles.

Last edited by knope; 06-22-2018 at 07:39 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:37 AM
We bought ours a couple years ago CPO, and I guess the Honda dealer never saw fit to replace the missing piece, as mine came without one when I got it. Doesn't sound like I want it. Stupid design...and car is fine without it. Gas mileage is fine, and here in east TN, we don't get bad winters like up north - Lord, the Detroit are uses TONS of salt on the roads during the winter, it's no wonder cars rust out up there. Am not concerned with road salt rust, am not concerned with splashing, have no intention of replacing it.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:50 AM
For that much, I'd just leave it off.

The only time I've had problems was when I let the dealership do the first oil change since it was "free". Since I've been doing it myself, it's been fine. Takes all of a minute to take it off and put it back.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:11 AM
i think it depends on where you live, i kept mine on for ontario salty winters. I think you just gotta becareful with taking those out. Might also wanna check the condition of the metal clip that 6 other metal screws screw into.

Old 06-22-2018, 12:11 PM
Unfortunately, mine got bent so badly, I don't think the screws will hold up the right side. I will have to duct tape that side every time. I found one on E-bay I could buy for $94. It comes with the other plastic pieces too. I might just buy it and put in on myself. I'm definitely not gonna buy one from the dealer!

Old 06-22-2018, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by justanewbie View Post
i think it depends on where you live, i kept mine on for ontario salty winters. I think you just gotta becareful with taking those out. Might also wanna check the condition of the metal clip that 6 other metal screws screw into.
it really does nothing from preventing salt entry. iím in a salt belt state. u have to take the cover off to throughly wash the undercarriage anyway. thing is mostly useless.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:41 PM
As far as I know these types of bottom covers which are common on many cars are simply designed to smooth out the air flow under the car to slightly improve gas mileage. I can't think of any other purpose they would serve.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
on some cars ive had and seen, they provided structural support for the front bumper but those used like 12 screws to mount onto the bottom of the chassis vs like the 4-5 for the GK.

the cover is imho useless on the GK.. if something happened to mine, id just toss it.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:12 PM
I think that one lesson here is that a dealership that tells you that it's $300 in labor for what took me under five minutes is shady as hell.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
like the Geico commercial. ure a stealership, ripping people off is wat u do.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:54 AM
I did my car's second oil change yesterday and found three compromised connectors. The back two shield connectors had fallen out. Plus, the part that surrounds the shield had pulled out of its front fastener. Everything "Fit" together securely with wire-ties. Based on the scrape marks, I think parking lot bumpers hit those plastic pieces. We try to avoid making contact with parking lot bumpers, but sometimes we are not successful.

Old 06-24-2018, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
yah, those tire stops are pretty tall and some lots place them too shallow.

mine didnt hit anything yet those plastic tabs on the rear of the shroud were gone.. just deteriorated and part of it fell off somewhere.