Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   A/C better in 3rd-generation? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/98407-c-better-3rd-generation.html)

tgpt 06-25-2018 01:51 PM

A/C better in 3rd-generation?

My 2013 Fit just had an unfortunate encounter with a Nissan Rogue. Nobody hurt, but I'm now in the position of having to replace it. During the airbag recall I had a loaner new-model Fit and liked it, but I have one hesitation: where I live, it can regularly be 100+ degrees in the summer. The A/C in the 2nd-gen Fit was not fantastic, and it seems like I'm not the only person to have this opinion. It did OK on the freeway, but sitting in traffic it really didn't keep up with that kind of heat.

Has anyone else had both generations *and* lived in a place where it gets really honestly not? (Not "a couple of 90 degree days in the summer" but more "it's been 106 every day for a week and I live in the middle of a giant sea of concrete") Is the A/C really better in the new one?

kenchan 06-25-2018 03:36 PM

i’ve owned all generations and they all suck as far as ac. just over the weekend i was complaining to my wife the GK’s ac is sooo weak vs my vw and subaru

Gregg 06-25-2018 03:39 PM

I have a 2015 LX, and the A/C was just marginally better than that in my old 2008 (no longer own).
I live in Florida, and after the car has been sitting at work in the parking lot, it takes a good 10 minutes to cool the cabin down, after that it is OK.
Window tinting is a good idea with the FIT.
I tinted the 2008, and it made a big difference, the 2015 came with factory tint.

Uncle Gary 06-25-2018 03:44 PM

I think the 3rd gen Fit A/C is definitely improved. Unlike my '09 Fit, the A/C doesn't constantly cycle on and off blowing alternately cool/hot steamy air. It also doesn't exact as big a mileage penalty when it's running.

Could it be "colder"? Well, I suppose, but then again, it IS called "air conditioning" and not "refrigeration" for a reason. I find it to be perfectly adequate, considering it has to deal with a large interior and a HUGE windshield, which traps heat.

Before I retired last year, the car sat in an asphalt parking lot in the hot summer sun all day. In the afternoon, I would start the car, open the moonroof at the back, and set the A/C on 2 or 3 and head home. By the time I arrived home (10 minutes), the car was nice and comfy.

fitchet 06-27-2018 10:48 PM

I owned a 2010, and now a 2016.
I live in the colder, usually cooler climate of the Pacific Northwest, so 100 degree days happen, but pretty infrequently, and for limited duration.

So for me personally, the Fit AC is adequate. Just adequate.

If you live in a significantly hotter climate with more extended days of high temperatures?

You may struggle to find consistent comfort with the FIT AC. IMO both generations were somewhat limited.
Nobody is going to mistake the FIT AC for an ice maker.

Jetydosa 06-27-2018 11:45 PM

The AC in my 2018 is actually pretty decent, and its been miserable here in Atlanta this summer. Its not amazing ice-box cold, but Im not displeased with it.

That being said, I put sunshade up everyday, have tint, and roll the windows down the first minute or two of driving to get the hot air out when getting into the hot car.

wmo168 06-28-2018 11:00 AM

No problem running Fit in South Florida, always 90+ just tint your car if you think the AC doesn't work well enough

chiefengineer 06-28-2018 11:12 PM

This A/C in my 2015 Fit simply does not cut the mustard in South Texas.
When idling in the shade, it blows about the same as the outside air.
No leaks, charged well, has been like this since Day 1. Dealer put dye
in under warranty, but still no dice. Laser temp in vents going 70 MPH
get as low as 50F, but passenger vent is 10F lower than rest. Kids in back
cook.

KentFinn 06-29-2018 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by wmo168 (Post 1403899)
No problem running Fit in South Florida, always 90+ just tint your car if you think the AC doesn't work well enough

This is Tennessee, wait 2 days and the weather will change. The past two weeks have had 90 degrees plus and the next 3 days are supposed to have heat index temps in the triple digits. My 2015 EX does ok … not great, but adequate. I've seen 103 on the dash. In the SW, along the gulf coast and FL the factory tint is minimal. I'd suggest at least 35 percent. Some states alow darker.

Overdone AC? 1970 Ford Cobra Jet 429 (not mine) Small cabin, ac unit from same year Ford Country Squire station wagon with about 4 times the cabin space. Frost bite in 10.

Best 2008 Suzuki SX4 Sport, true HVAC. Drive less than 2 miles and Temp would be right, warm or cold. I think that true HVAC is an option on most Hondas including the Fit.,

chiefengineer 07-01-2018 11:20 AM

Dash stays hot

Great point about tint. Its like the nursery people telling me
"full sun is not South Texas full sun" ...because the plants look like
a dragon flamed them in a day if you think so. My dash is so hot
you can't leave your hand there. After 2 hours of A/C during the day
it has cooled to the point you can just barely put your hand there.

...so it is like having ductwork inside an oven inside your vehicle...

chiefengineer 07-01-2018 11:31 AM

I'm going to try this

Originally Posted by KentFinn (Post 1404075)
This is Tennessee, wait 2 days and the weather will change. The past two weeks have had 90 degrees plus and the next 3 days are supposed to have heat index temps in the triple digits. My 2015 EX does ok … not great, but adequate. I've seen 103 on the dash. In the SW, along the gulf coast and FL the factory tint is minimal. I'd suggest at least 35 percent. Some states alow darker.

Overdone AC? 1970 Ford Cobra Jet 429 (not mine) Small cabin, ac unit from same year Ford Country Squire station wagon with about 4 times the cabin space. Frost bite in 10.

Best 2008 Suzuki SX4 Sport, true HVAC. Drive less than 2 miles and Temp would be right, warm or cold. I think that true HVAC is an option on most Hondas including the Fit.,

Do you have any feel for how much of a difference that makes?

KentFinn 07-01-2018 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by chiefengineer (Post 1404143)
Do you have any feel for how much of a difference that makes?

Right now (Sun.10:45 AM) it is 90. The Fit might cool down to comfortable within 1.5 miles. The Suzi within 1. Cold weather, on the same settings, warm in the Suzi, still chilly in the Fit. Honda HVAC, if it exists, I don't known.

chiefengineer 07-02-2018 11:52 AM

Thanks for that...never had the heat on...we run A/C 27/7 365 (except during hurricanes).
Come to think of it things weren't so bad before Harvey which bent my double-garage-door and they
have been sitting outside since. I just can't bring myself to buy another when my deductible
is higher than the cost by a couple dollars...cause it happens so easily.

Mark Schofield 07-03-2018 07:52 PM

One thing to try is to insulate the suction (smaller colder) line coming from the compressor. A length of 1" pipe insulation hose and some tie wraps will help the refrigerant to stay cold while going to the evaporator.
'

chiefengineer 07-03-2018 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Schofield (Post 1404424)
One thing to try is to insulate the suction (smaller colder) line coming from the compressor. A length of 1" pipe insulation hose and some tie wraps will help the refrigerant to stay cold while going to the evaporator.
'

Great idea...I do it on my house pipe that's exposed. Why not? Doesn't LOOK like an area that will ignite.

HarleyBadger 07-14-2018 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Schofield (Post 1404424)
'

The cold refrigerant returning to the compressor via the suction line has already been through the evaporator, it won't make any difference, unfortunately.

project.gk5 07-21-2018 09:36 PM

I’ve got a 2018 Fit and the AC is pretty weak. I’ve got 30% tint on the front windows and 5% on the rest and it takes quite awhile to cool down the car after it’s been sitting outside in 105+ degree temps for a few hours

chiefengineer 07-22-2018 06:14 PM

Thought I would report back on what we decided to do.
We did the whole windshield in UV 80 (blocks 50% of the heat with some type of ceramic film).
We did 35% on the front passenger windows and 15% on the remaining.
So I am sitting in a Marriott in Fort Stockton, Texas after driving straight this
morning from Truth or Consequences, NM. The coolest we were in the car was when we
got in it to leave, when the dash was about body temperature. During the trip the dash
heated up dramatically, and the temperature inside the car got no cooler than 94F while the
outside regularly measured 105-107, full sun. Toward the end of the trip every passenger had
sweated through...even my scalp was dripping. My coolers full of blue ice had all melted in
the trunk over about 5 hours. I can barely imagine what this would have been like without
tint, but after another 6 hours home tomorrow I do not see me ever doing this again.

2Rismo2 07-22-2018 11:07 PM

Geez that sounds like a horrible experience! I've driven South West for about 7 hours and the GK hasn't had that problem, but we don't routinely stay 100+.

What about a dash mat? They don't look great but would they insulate the dash enough to make a difference?

Are you running recirculate with the HVAC?

vinylengraver 07-23-2018 10:50 AM

The highest outside temperature we've seen here this summer so far was 35 deg. Celsius (95 deg. Fahrenheit) and our Fit has performed admirably.
No tint on the car.
The weakest AC of all vehicles I have ever owned was in my 2004 Mazda3.
I would consider the Fit to be average. Nothing to write home about, but not bad.
No idea how it would do in the extreme heat, but hope I will never have to find out...