Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Push start a manual car!!!! (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/98425-push-start-manual-car.html)

Fitftw15 06-26-2018 08:51 PM

Push start a manual car!!!!

I just wonder if you can push start 6 speed fit with out key fob and a dead battery?

kenchan 06-26-2018 09:14 PM

immobilizer?

Uncle Gary 06-27-2018 01:21 PM

Without the fob you can’t turn on the ignition, which means you can push until the cows come home but the car won’t start.

evilchargerfan 06-27-2018 01:34 PM

what if the thieves have a key fob.... THEN, can they ... push start a manual car with a dead battery?

evilchargerfan 06-27-2018 01:35 PM

errr ... I mean .. what if the "owner" has a key fob .... thats what I meant to say

Uncle Gary 06-27-2018 08:16 PM

It would depend on how “dead” the battery is. There would have to enough voltage to turn on the ignition

Rob H 06-27-2018 09:15 PM

I've had to push start my 2013 WRX when it had a dead battery. It is possible. Keep in mind when i did push start the WRX, it lit up the dash like a Christmas tree and threw a bunch of codes. Modern cars with all their electronics don't like to be push started.

BTW: the manual transmission Fit or at least my 2017 LX doesn't have a Fob, just a normal key with a chip.

fitchet 06-27-2018 10:42 PM

Brings back memories of when I was a little kid and the cars from the 60's and 70's were so easily push started.
My parents called it "Popping The Clutch".

But on more than one occasion I can remember watching as my parents and usually friends or neighbors pushed the vehicle and the vehicle would sputter to life.
If you were lucky you were on a hill or near an incline so pushing it wasn't a challenge.

I don't know why, but there was something kind of neat about watching the car come to life in this manner.
Maybe I would of liked the old crank starts of the real, real early horseless carriages. Even though I have read those were pretty tricky and dangerous.

hasdrubal 06-28-2018 02:39 AM

I'm reminded of an old Top Gear segment where they drove antique cars-

Although this hand crank starter is a bit cooler in my mind-

2Rismo2 06-28-2018 08:19 AM

I don't have a push start manual GK, but I would think it'd work similar to a motorcycle which have had push button starts for several decades now.

Turn the key to ignition, or in the case of a push start car if there is enough juice, push the start button twice to get it into "ON". Put car in 2nd gear, keep the clutch pushed in, get it going at enough of a speed and pop the clutch. I prefer 2nd over 1st personally but either will work.

bach 06-28-2018 09:20 AM

I had always heard that push starting will ruin the cat but I'm not sure why ... unburnt fuel reaching the cat maybe?

Fuelish 06-28-2018 04:56 PM

Have not had to cross the push-start bridge with our FIT yet, but have pushstarted all of my old manual trans cars, usually by myself. Been lucky enough to have always been on level ground, and they've all been smaller, lightweight cars. I imagine the FIT would be no problem either - just get it rolling puching on the body inside door frame, hop in, and dump the clutch after putting it in gear. Although I HAVE heard not to push start modern vehicles, but have never heard a real reason not to. Am sure the dealer would love to have you tow the car to them :)

Brain Champagne 06-28-2018 08:44 PM

I was on the rowing team in college. The bus back from practice stalled on a hill and wouldn't start. I said we can push start it. They said it's a bus. I said we're the rowing team. They said it's uphill. I said so what?
About 20 of us jumped out and started pushing the bus. The biggest issue wasn't strength, it was not enough surface area on the back of the bus for everyone to be able to push.
We did get it started.